jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Why are we now referring to anyone who commits a gun crime as "mentally ill?"

1. Sarah Kessler profile image79
    Sarah Kesslerposted 2 years ago

Why are we now referring to anyone who commits a gun crime as "mentally ill?"

One of the things that bothers me most about this debate is that violent shooters are all now somehow assumed to have mental illnesses that are mismanaged or untreated. 

Where is this belief coming from?

2. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12154512_f260.jpg

Some of them can be classified as mentally ill.  Take for instance, Edgar Rodger who shot innocent people because of his issues interfacing with the opposite gender.  The investigation has confirmed that Mr. Rodger was having mental health issues and saw several psychologists but to no avail.  Yes, there are those who have mental health issues that were or weren't properly diagnosed or they elected to stop treatment.

However, there are others who are sociopathic, psychopathic, or just plain evil.  They are consciousness people who love violence.  They don't care if they hurt others in the process.  They want to kill people pure and simple.

1. Sarah Kessler profile image79
      Sarah Kesslerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

There are so many different opinions about what defines "mentally ill."  To many, anyone who has the desire to kill is mentally ill.  But as a mental health advocate, I think this is dangerous territory, because it equates mental illness with evil.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What I have stated is that some can be classified as mentally ill; however, there are others who are just plain sociopathic without any type of conscience or remorse.  The latter kill for the sake of killing.

3. Sarah Kessler profile image79
      Sarah Kesslerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is true, but sociopathy, or antisocial personality disorder, is itself a mental illness that can be dealt with if rightly diagnosed. I suppose that is what most people are referring to.

working