jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Is the Zero Tolerance for School Dress Code Violations Violating Students First

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Is the Zero Tolerance for School Dress Code Violations  Violating Students First Amendment rights?

Students are being suspended for wearing political,or controversial images and slogans while in school. Recently a middle school student was suspended for wearing a soldier memorial image which depicted a kneeling soldier holding a rifle at a tombstone of another soldier.The school code denies anything having to do with violence and that includes gun images.
    Is this going too far?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12696296_f260.jpg

I don't believe a school or employer for that matter is violating anyone's first amendment rights by having & enforcing dress codes.
    There used to be a time when parents made sure their children were dressed (appropriately). Gradually people started slacking off until kids were wearing clothes that were too revealing or they were dressed as slobs with their pants falling off of their behinds.
    A lot of schools have adopted dress codes and many charter schools now require uniforms similar to catholic schools. This is what happens sometimes when things get out of hand.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, kids are dressing inappropriately today. What do yo think about the question I asked about tee shirt slogans and images that are getting kids suspended?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

As I stated I see nothing wrong with the school having a dress code. If they say no images of  guns or slogans then (zero tolerance) is the best way to go rather than trying to define "exceptions" as they arise. That's Pandora's box!

working