Is feminism primarily defined by equality for all genders?

1. Sayyeda Zonah profile image60
    Sayyeda Zonahposted 2 years ago

Is feminism primarily defined by equality for all genders?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

When feminism was founded it was at a time we society only focused on two genders. (male and female). The emphasis was to push for equality for women in the workplace primarily and various social situations. When you say (all genders) I suspect you're including transgender as well.
    Many folks would probably lump that in with civil rights. In fact the term feminism is a gradually dying term as more women gain leadership roles.
    We now have women as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies: Mary Barra- General Motors, Meg Whitman - Hewlett-Packard, Virginia Rometty- IBM, Safra A. Catz- Oracle Software, Ursula M. Burns - Xerox Corporation, Phebe Novakovic- General Dynamics, Indra K. Nooyi - PepsiCo, Inc. are just a few women running very large companies.
    We also have women in various levels of government from governors of states to U.S. Senators, Congresswomen, Mayors, police, and so forth.
    Hilary Clinton is seen by many people as having a good chance to become the first woman U.S. President.
    Margret Thatcher was Prime Minster of Great Britain. The are women leaders of other countries right now. Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf of Liberia, President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner of Argentina, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wajed of Bangledesh, President Dilma Rousseff of Brazil, Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark, Prime Minister Ewa Kopacz of Poland, Prime Minister Erna Solberg of Norway...etc No one can deny that's progress!
    Where a woman lives determines her amount of opportunity as of now but times have change for the better in many parts of the world.

3. aliasis profile image94
    aliasisposted 2 years ago

Yes. Feminism is about reducing harmful gender roles and promoting equality between the genders. I absolutely feel that these gender roles harm men, too, and there are lots of men's issues worth discussing. But women's issues are particularly harmful to women, because women have been and are still severely underrepresented in societal and political power, and continue to struggle with surpassing the traditional and subservient roles they've been forced into in the past. I do believe that feminism is about making life better for both men and women, though by empowering women, I think we can also solve many of struggles men face. Furthermore, since feminism should be about reducing rigid gender roles, it should also be concerned with creating a better world for people who are intersex, transgender, or who have any other gender identity. Feminism should be about allowing people to, on an individual level, let people express themselves (and/or their gender) however they wish, and on a societal level, treating all people equally without regard to their gender.

working