Black Privilege - Is the 2015 Rachel Dolezal affair proof of pro-black/anti-whit

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Terrex profile image78
    Terrexposted 2 years ago

Black Privilege - Is the 2015 Rachel Dolezal affair proof of pro-black/anti-white racism?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12872395_f260.jpg

2. Besarien profile image85
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

Are you really asking can a minority be racist against a more privileged majority? I think the word you are looking for is bigot. Anybody can be a bigot!

As far as Rachel Dolezal, I say if she was she doing a good job, which apparently she was, let her be. Who cares if she is black or culturally black? But I don't run the NAACP. However, I can see the point of wanting to advance a person of color instead, if the organization's name is the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Life is just full of ironies.

Terrexposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Are you really telling me racism is purely dependent on numbers and not racism itself?
      Rachel Dolezal lied.
      She is white and claimed to be black for the privilege it afforded her, and that's what the question is about.

2. Besarien profile image85
      Besarienposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Was she lying or does she self-identity as African American? If she self-identified as man we'd call her transgendered and take her word for it. She is living as an African American woman not slapping on a wig and blackface whenever it suits her.

3. Terrex profile image78

I think you need to read up on the details if her case - she lied, and repeatedly.
      Had she said she was white, but identified as black, there wouldn't be a controversy.
      I consider her makeup and hair disguise akin to blackface.

3. iggy7117 profile image75
    iggy7117posted 2 years ago

I think there is enough proof of that going around. the white man comes in last behind minorities and women for jobs and assistance programs.

Look how there can be black miss america and bet awards but if the blacks are not picked at the regular ones they start protesting. Try having a white awards ceremony or college and see what happens?

I am just making a point, I have more black friends then white ones because that is who I met living in a black neighborhood growing up. I judge people by how they act and not what they look like.  So do not point the bigot or racist finger at me. If you even have them feelings you need to look at yourself.

As for your question I feel if she was doing her job well she should be left alone. If she is not black and pretending to be black while doing work that betters the black race why can she not have the job. Is that not hurting the cause. Firing her for color or race sounds like racism and there are laws against this called equality opportunity employment, or are they only to benefits minorities?

I may not be entirely correct because I do not know the whole situation going on. I tried to give my impartial opinion without hurting anyone.

She can definitely have the job.
      If she does not lie about her race to get it.
      It seems people would rather be fooled and feel good than acknowledge they were fooled.
      The question addresses black privilege and the lies people tell to cash in on it.

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image76
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You can judge people by how they act and not what they look like, but that's not how the system works.

3. Terrex profile image78

I think we should judge by facts.
      It is a fact that Rachel Dolezal is white.
      It's also a fact that she lied repeatedly about being black.
      It's also a fact that black people lost out on jobs for years because of her continuing lies.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Yes, as is Shaun King, the white guy who pretended to be half black and founded Black Lives Matter

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I hate that guy!  He pisses me off so bad!  I can't read his articles.

5. Michaela Osiecki profile image76
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

Ms. Dolezal did not claim to be black because she believed it would afford her some privilege, clearly she has some serious identity issues that more than likely stem from a mental condition of some kind and her involvement with black people.

More often than not, it's black people trying to pass as white or adopt white culture because of the privileges it will afford them. Being black in America is, and always has been, a near death sentence. The system still oppresses minorities in a lot of ways, keeping them out of jobs and education that white people often take for granted. So when a few programs crop up that are aimed at helping black people get ahead in a racist society, white people get up in arms and claim they're then being oppressed when really, none of their privilege has EVER been removed.

Makes no dam* sense to me and I'm a friggin' white girl.

What diff does it make if you're white?You claiming a whites would understand better than other races??
      Rachel Dolezal lied to get jobs and privileges she wasn't entitled to.
      Black in America is a death sentence? Truly a sign you've not travelled...

6. Dean Traylor profile image94
    Dean Traylorposted 2 years ago

No. I know many people would like to see it as proof, but in the end this has to do with one person's identity and, possibly, cry for help.
    This was a strange, creepy story that could be best described as a Monty Python skit played out like a drama. She came from an extremely dysfunctional family, had issues with identity, and got caught up in her own lie.
    I realize there's a lot of people who want to politicize it, simply because she held a position of authority within a major organization. But when one reads about the family life, one gets the impression that she tried to find an identity while living under uber strict parents (that adopted African-American boys for bizarre reasons) and eventually got lost in it. This is an issue that needs to be explored by psychologists rather political pundits.

I usually post jarring questions, and this is the kind of answer I look for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)