Is THIS institutional racism?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 3 years ago

“Health officials announced last week residents must wear face coverings in public settings where they may come within six feet of another individual who is not from the same household.

But people of color do not have to follow the new rule if they have “heightened concerns about racial profiling and harassment” over wearing the masks, officials said.”

https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/oregon-co … te-people/

1. hard sun profile image79
      hard sunposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I, for one, am tired of the BS. We live in a lower income area, my kids go to the same schools as minorities, we operate under the same system as they do, I've seen racist behavior make white kids come home from school crying, but we are supposed to just keep our mouths shut as minorities cannot be racist. BLM is creating divisions and sewing discord that is entirely  unnecessary to the cause. They are attempting to marginalize poor whites and bring them down instead of bringing all of us up. Then they scream racism when they are called on it. Meanwhile, we all suffer more due to their double standards. I can no longer justify voting Democrat at all because I know this all happening like this because the Dems needed a way to match the Trump fundraising machine. Sad.

Readmikenowposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hard Sun, I agree with you.

Democrats have redefined the term pandering to a voting block.

And they say Trump is the master at the politics of division.

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Mike, anybody that is anybody will tell you that this is a dumb idea.

I hope you are correct that this idea will not take off Credence. It certainly doesn't seem safe for POC or anyone for that matter.

Yet, the article quotes ReNika Moore, director of the ACLU’s Racial Justice Program, and an economics professor at Ohio State as being in favor of this. They would seem to qualify as "anybody who is anybody." Nothing surprises me anymore with what comes out of the far left and the far right, both of which seem to be taking over their respective parties.

1. Credence2 profile image79

This is going too far...

Going too far is why I cannot support BLM. It's not as though I cannot support anti-racism. I cannot support whites being called racist because they have the nerve to bring up that we are victims of police brutality too, and many of the same issues that so many of the black communities are impacted by. In many ways, white communities are broken communities. We suffer from drug addiction, divorce, absentee fathers (many of them in prison) etc. Yet, we are told to acknowledge our privilege or we are racist. It feels like being kicked when you are down and had no hand in the plight of those doing the kicking. Just because the majority of the wealthy communities in America are white, does not mean I have anything in common with them. I mean, the Colts owner, Jim Irsay, was able to buy his way out of trouble with opioid addiction. These people are why so many of the numbers are skewed toward whites. Yet, that has NOTHING to do with the millions of whites out here struggling. A portion of the white population....the ones in the ivory towers, the corporate executives, cannot see this and they are the ones making the rules that call us racist for daring to bring up our struggles right now and not calling ourselves privileged. What's more, there are many factors involved in privileged. Is the black daughter of a local politician more privileged than my kids? I don't know, and really, I don't care! As a family, we strive to be the best we can be and overcome obstacles..this is all we can do from down here!

As someone who grew up poor and white, I concur with everything you've said.

I'm glad to read that you agree. And just one more thing, I think continually telling others they are not allowed to say their lives matter, not matter the logic one used to take us there, is a horrible tactic.

2. Credence2 profile image79

I am listening to your perspective, HS

I see BLM as created to address police brutality which manifests itself in Black communities at a disproportionate level over that experience by others. Without that attention, the incidents that we have seen and that  have been going on long before would have continued to receive the attention that it always has: none.

The organization is inclusive rather than exclusive, but the drive and thrust of the organization purpose cannot be coop-Ted. Through the impetus from BLM, whites can include their voices, their videos, examples to widen attention to the problem. And as seen in the protests, they have been welcomed.

As I have said in other threads, racism remains a substantive component in addition to general social/economic status in explaining a less than desirable outcome within this society.

The fact that the vast majority of wealthy communities are white is more than coincidence.

How many whites are really prepared to take the steps to call to account the system and structure that contributes to their troubles and to a greater extent, our own?

There will always be the Oprah example that whites can point to and say, see, we all have the same opportunity and status. But, when I look at statistics over the big picture the truth actually emerges.

But, HS, to,each his own, I have a dedicated purpose in reducing inequity, the exploitation of the many by the few, and controlling the powers that exists that are determined to maintain the status quo.  It is primarily the struggle between have verses have not, of which racism is a  component to further divide and conquer that has been effectively used in this country since its founding. It may well be a fool's errand, but so be it.

I never said that whites are not affected when they are poor by injustice in a society that skews the advantages to the wealthy. But, any statistic will show you that Blacks are singled out, set upon over whites, when all other variables are equal.

"The fact that the vast majority of wealthy communities are white is more than coincidence."

The fact that these wealthy communities generally keep the money within themselves is also not a coincidence! As I stated, just because I'm white, it doesn't mean I have anything in common with them so I take no blame or no discredit for my accomplishments I have worked for. I don't have a card that allows me to walk into a dinner with a bunch of wealthy whites and have them accept me into some club. In fact, they take one look at my chipped front tooth, and I'm out of the club before I had a chance! It's just a shame that BLM turned this ENTIRELY into a race issue and the Democrats are exploiting that narrative to divide us and keep the power in the hands that is has always been in, for the most part. This "movement" is just not going to help any of those who need help the most IMO. We need to be pulling each other up as opposed to pushing each other down. These are bully tactics to the umpteenth degree!

I've never stated race plays no role. it's just sad that the current environment is that it is the only role being acknowledged by the MSM, corporations, and our government. It's counter-productive to the universal cause IMO.

2. Readmikenow profile image95

"I see BLM as created to address police brutality which manifests itself in Black communities at a disproportionate level over that experience by others. Without that attention, the incidents that we have seen and that  have been going on long before would have continued to receive the attention that it always has: none."

There are those in the black community that disagree with you.

This is from Civil rights attorney Leo Terrell.  I think he makes some strong points.

"This is why Black Lives Matter is basically, in my opinion, the Al Sharpton of the 21st century. They're profiteers. They are profiting on trying to give a narrative, a false narrative that is white racist cops, deaths destroying the black community,"

"You point out Chicago. No [BLM] presence walking through the neighborhood protesting to stop black-on-black crime. Al Sharpton goes to the George Floyd funeral. You use a funeral to launch a campaign speech attacking Donald Trump. I don't see Al Sharpton in Chicago. That 3-year-old kid who was killed. You know why? Because it's not profitable. There's no money to be made."

"Black Lives Matter have [sic] dominated social media... and the perception is that they control the Democratic Party," Terrell said. "I'm hoping, I'm begging I'm praying that they don't control the Democratic Party. But the current status right now, it is, it has controlled the Democratic Party. It has muted Democratic leadership. The Democratic leadership is afraid of Black Lives Matter for a variety of reasons."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/leo-terre … mark-levin

"There are those in the black community that disagree with you."

There are a few, but not many.

the point I make to conservatives is that there is a difference between the homicides from thugs and criminals as opposed to those representing the city, county or state law enforcement. I pay taxes to support law enforcement and I expect their behavior to be exemplary. I have a right to expect that where I have no such expectations from common criminals.

I am not concerned about Marxist-Leninist, as American capitalism and its global model can be just as problematic, if you look at the history. I will stand by BLM and their right to bring this issue of police brutality before the world as long as they do it peacefully.

And, no BLM does not control the Democratic Party but you can bet that its concerns will be part of parcel of ideology of the party. We expect that the Right will continue to attempt to denigrate the movement and ignore the egregious violations that made such a movement necessary.

Everybody will support traditional law enforcement in Chicago and elsewhere to address crime, but when the very law enforcement is criminal in nature in of itself, that is where the BLM begins.

Isn't it interesting that in 2020 more whites have been killed by police officers than blacks?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 … e-by-race/

I also have to wonder why the death of Tony Timpa by the Dallas police was not shown in the national news.

"You're gonna kill me!': Dallas police body cam footage reveals the final minutes of Tony Timpa's life
                    Timpa wailed and pleaded for help more than 30 times as officers pinned his shoulders, knees and neck to the ground."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investi … pa-s-life/

2. hard sun profile image79

Good points that are relevant to why I no longer support Democrats. I also  think this poll, from June 17, 2020, is telling. It tells me that saying "All lives Matter" is not perceived as racist as the media is telling us that it is. ----"Sixty percent (60%) of whites and 61% of other minority voters put all lives first. Among blacks, 44% say black lives matter; 47% all lives matter." https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public … 9IYO065LBw

3. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94
                  Tim Truzy info4uposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Truthfully, I am less concerned about BLM being a part of the Dem. party. The Dems. will remove them if they wind up being bad actors. If they push reforms which benefits all Americans of every color, then good for them.
                  However, the Republican Party still allows Richard Spencer and David Duke to hang their hat there. Not to mention people like Roy Moore. I think Nazism and Klanism is what tears the country apart, just as much as any other force. Extremism on any level is dangerous to our republic.
                  It's backwards to tell people to not wear masks when the evidence says it saves lives.

Thank you

3. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

What you say is true. Class matters, and those with power will gladly throw the poor Blacks against the poor Whites and laugh all the way to the banks while we who don't have keys to the Ivy Towers eat in the (metaphor) Iron Dungeons.

Indeed...and you provided a very apt metaphor. I just wish those who want to fight for the rights of those less advantaged would understand this. Once again, I've never stated race plays no role. it's just sad that the current environment is that it is the only role being acknowledged by the MSM, corporations, and our government. It's counter-productive to the universal cause IMO.

2. Readmikenow profile image95

Credence,

I agree with you.

What would you do if you were a white person living in this county? 

This does reveal those who have no core values and will do things simply that gain admiration from others.  Having core beliefs means people will disagree with you and be angry with you. 

I can support disagreeing with someone who has core values.  I can't stand people who do things just to be in with whatever is current.

I

White or Black, making an exception to standards set by health official for so superficial a reason is ridiculous from any angle.

I have a reputation for not taking kindly to pandering, in an attempt to deceive both me and others as to what lies behind it.

"White or Black, making an exception to standards set by health official for so superficial a reason is ridiculous from any angle."

All I can say to that is "AMEN!"

2. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94

At the risk of being cynical, how else to balance the ones lost on one particular side who chose not to wear the masks as directed by unsaid leader? However, it is dumb to ignore health officials advice.

3. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I would be more ap to call it discrimination. One race, in this case, is being made to wear a mask over another.

4. cnj02c profile image68
      cnj02cposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Health care issues doesn't matter about race especially a pandemic

2. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

When people actively search for reasons to be offended, the chip on their shoulder ensures they will find them.

And yes, it is racist.  No one could honestly argue otherwise.

3. hard sun profile image79
    hard sunposted 3 years ago

Oh...going back to not being about shootings but police tactics. I was attacked by a police dog while I was sleeping. They charged me with assault on the dog as my reaction was to push the dog off of me when I awoke. Three cops had guns drawn also. They lied and said I had a knife in my hand...the nearest knife was in a box on top of the closet. They found that and submitted it into evidence!  I still have the scars. I generally don't speak of these things because, I know I'm relatively lucky, and I just want to move on...this was some years ago. Also,  I understand there a decent police officers out here and we need them!
    However, when you are being told over and over that this type of thing just doesn't happen to whites, it's difficult to stay quiet.

4. IslandBites profile image90
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

In a statement to KMOV, an attorney representing the McCloskeys, Albert Watkins, defended the their actions and said they were not “race related,” adding, “In fact, the agitators responsible for the trepidation were white.”

"The Black Lives Matters movement is here to stay, it is the right message, and it is about time," Watkins continued in the statement. "The McCloskeys want to make sure no one thinks less of BLM, its message and the means it is employing to get its message out because of the actions of a few white individuals who tarnished a peaceful protest."

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)