jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Has President Obama & the liberal sociopolitical climate created an exaggerated

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Has President Obama & the liberal sociopolitical climate created an exaggerated sense of

entitlement among Americans?  Why?  Why not?

2. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

Hell yeah.  Obama and the Left have made it so that anyone who does not agree with a. homosexuality, and b. islam can be radical, is branded a bigot and a hater.  Those people are "intolerant".  What the left fails to see is that they too, are intolerant--just as intolerant as those who hold fast to their religious beliefs.

As for the entitlement peace, I think we have Obama and the Left to thank for the idiots at college who want "safe spaces," and those who think they can get stuff for free.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree.
      Also, when people say entitlements, what comes to mind, and why?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 included provisions to ban discrimination. Obama was only 3 when that became law. Upholding isn't creating.
      To my knowledge Obama has not offered any "free" stuff.
      That's something Bernie Sanders is looking to do.

3. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I think the current climate on both sides of the aisle are causing people to reassess what government should, and shouldn't be doing. Should government protect corporations? Or should they protect people? Are corporations really people?

I just finished reading an article by Bill Mahler, about Bernie Sanders, and what Mahler called the new New Deal. The deal we have with government right now isn't working for anyone except the rich. We haven't had a good shakeup of what government is about since FDR, and the New Deal. Maybe it's time for that again. Maybe Obama's Affordable Care Act was the first piece, to show that no, the world won't come to an end if we get people insured. Maybe it's time for us to take a look at some of the countries in the EU, and how they deal with people vs. corporations, and what government does and doesn't do.

I don't think this is about entitlement, unless it's that we are entitled to a government that works for us. We pay for this. What are we getting for our hard-earned tax dollars, other than hot air?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The new deal was a raw deal, and compare it to the deal that government employees get.
      Obamacare did nothing for the quality of healthcare, and many people had their insurance deemed substandard. They had to get Std Obamacare insurance, at high pric

2. lisavollrath profile image97
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I had cancer with no insurance the year before ACA. It wiped out my retirement fund. Now, I have insurance I can afford. I don't have to worry about losing my house if I get sick again.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

bradmasterOCcal, The New Deal was better than what was previously in place. (Nothing). Obamacare was not about changing the quality of health insurance. It was mainly about creating an access path where no one could be denied health insurance.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

It's created entitlement in the sense that people believe the government should work for them, not against them. There's this false narrative that suggests the next generation wants something for nothing. But the reality is the opposite; they're getting nothing for doing everything. The U.S. prides itself on the mentality of working hard to get ahead and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. But hard work and gumption isn't enough to succeed in the U.S. today. People working the most hours, and sometimes multiple jobs, make less money than those working less.

There is no golden ratio of work to wealth. Rather, success is determined by countless dice rolls, many of which you can't influence at all. It used to be true that you could influence your value with education, but after everyone tried to seize this opportunity, it flooded the market with college grads, devaluing the bachelor's degree. With so little left in their corner, disenfranchised people turned to government as a solution. Hope and Change was such a powerful message because it empowered the notion that we can change our fates. Not by relying on government to carry us, but by having a voice in Washington. An institution that has gotten farther and farther away from the people in recent decades.

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

No I don't think so.
    There is no comparison between FDR and Obama when you look at the vast government programs that were instituted under FDR.
    I'm sure people felt that way about FDR and his "New Deal".
    Before FDR was in office there was no "minimum wage", "Welfare", "Social Security", or "Medicare" along with the Housing Authority and Farm Security Administration.
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) relief program (which made the federal government by far the largest single employer in the nation).
    The Republicans were split, with conservatives opposing the entire New Deal as an enemy of business and growth, and moderates accepting some of it and promising to make it more efficient.

Obamacare is the biggest program that was passed during the Obama years and it's not a "free" health insurance program.
    Many Democrats feel Obama is not pushing programs hard enough.
    For example Obama wants to restructure student loans. Sanders says college should be "free"! Which one of those is an entitlement?
    What Bernie Sanders is proposing makes Obama look conservative!
    Young people are flocking to Sanders over Clinton because it is believed that she will just continue Obama's strategy.
    The Sanders' voters are looking for far more entitlements!