jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How important is marriage to win the presidency?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

How important is marriage to win the presidency?

We have yet to have a president that was not married.
    Where is marriage on your voting list?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12721272_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12884215_f260.jpg

For me it's not important.
    However I suspect there would be many people out there who would be upset or unhappy watching a president out on the town with different women or men and having them spend the night in the white house. They don't want to see the president out on the prowl. LOL!
    Having said that James Buchanan, the nation's 15th president and Grover Cleveland, the nation's 22nd were elected while being single.
    Three things that will keep a person from getting elected today as president of the U.S.; are being an known atheist, being single, or practicing the Muslim faith.
    Although none of those would be considered unconstitutional people still want to believe their president believes in God, is dedicated spouse and parent, and practices a religion which is in line with the majority.
    Concerns were raised over JFK being Catholic back in the 60s.
    There are "unwritten rules" people have for voting for a president.

bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Got me on the single, I should have said since TV.
      Do you think that today a president that got divorced during their 1st term could get reelected?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It would probably depend on how well the economy is doing and the perception of who is at fault for the failed marriage. Obviously if the president was cheated on there would be sympathy from the public but if it's the other way around not so.

3. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States, never married.

Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President, was elected twice while not married, although he did marry during his second term.

bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I already apologized for that, but is marriage relevant today?

working