This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you see any characteristics of an oligarchy in America?

1. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 2 years ago

Do you see any characteristics of an oligarchy in America?

Some say yes due to a concentration of wealth in the hands of a few. Do you agree with this? Do you see any other characteristics?

2. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I think we're certainly headed in that direction:

The 400 wealthiest individuals on the Forbes 400 list have more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans---and their wealth is growing, while that of those at the bottom is shrinking.

In 2010, 25 of the 100 largest U.S. companies paid their CEO more than they paid in U.S. taxes. 15 Fortune 500 companies paid no taxes at all in 2014.

There are 22 corporate lobbyists for every member of Congress. 50% of members of Congress become lobbyists when they leave office.

If an oligarchy is the concentration of wealth and power among a small group of people, I think we're well on our way.

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That was revealing. Thank you Lisa.

2. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm also finding a lot of statistics such as yours that I didn't know previously. It's shocking that some hedge fund managers earning billions pay less in taxes than their secretaries or administrative assistants!

3. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

I think there was one Presidential race in the past 30 years that did NOT include a Bush or Clinton on either side as a president or VP.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

"I have a phone and a pen! " Someone has been heard to say on the airwaves.  They believe those are all you need to change the policy of the country.  They have been rather successful in doing so

1. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 2 years agoin reply to this

In so many ways you are spot on.

working