jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Why can't a business choose whom they serve as customers?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

Why can't a business choose whom they serve as customers?

Does a private business come under the control of the government and the courts because they don't want your business?
    Why isn't the Right to Refuse Service to anyone a valid right for a business?
    It shouldn't even matter why they refuse to serve someone.
    It is like saying that expensive restaurants are discriminating against the poor because their prices are too high.
    A car insurance company won't insure your car because it is a high risk theft make, and is that discrimination?
    At what point does Freedom get abridged and chilled by the government involving themselves in private businesses?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12740019_f260.jpg

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image95
    Cynthia Hooverposted 2 years ago

In my state businesses are covered by a "right to refuse" law. Though I must admit having grown up with parents who owned a small business, I can't see refusing a sale period, every sale is profitable. I would happily except anyone's money in exchange for whatever goods or services I offer. Just seems to me that refusing a sale for any reason makes absolutely no sense, as far as profitability is concerned.

I think they should have the Right and ability to refuse service anywhere without any issues arising with the government or court system.

Though I stand fast on my opinion that its not the best financial decision for a bussiness. Word travel fast these days and one refused sale can lead to the loss of additional customers by word of mouth, or the refusal being shared on social media. It sucks, but it is what it is I suppose.

3. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

There is an interesting contradiction between politically protected groups and politically unprotected groups. For example, several civil rights commissions have said Christians can't refuse to make homosexual wedding cakes they find blasphemous per obligations to serve, while homosexual owned bakeries had the right to refuse cakes with messages of traditional marriage because their refusal was deemed political.
    Ditto where liberals could deny service to conservatives on banner and T-shirt printing jobs, where their refusal was seen as political free speech, but conservatives were denied the right to refuse.
    So these rules are enforced with an immoral double standard - PC groups don't have to do things they don't like, but everyone else does.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

There is definitely a problem there that needs to be resolved.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Discrimination and PC seem to be unilateral rather than bilateral. Good points.

4. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I feel like this is a slippery slope kind of situation. If all businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone they please, based on their own beliefs, then we could very easily slip back into a place where black people are suddenly no longer allowed in many public places, where gay people aren't allowed in certain stores, where trans individuals out in public could face even MORE ridicule and harm.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So what. What about ladies night where women get in free?
      The Jews don't seem to have a problem, and they were killed for their religion.
      A private business is just that, it seems like involuntary servitude for the government to force a business to

working