jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Should political campaigns and debates have to be set to a higher standard of be

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 24 months ago

Should political campaigns and debates have to be set to a higher standard of behavior?

Recent campaigns and debates are looking more like back alley brawls instead of intellectual debates.
    Is this going to be the new norm?

2. ElvisaM profile image81
    ElvisaMposted 24 months ago

Yes! I watch, what seem like reruns of the same old bickering. I honestly have never seen anything like it in the few years I have been deeply interested in politics. There is bickering and insulting each other and then there is debating. There is a huge difference in tone between the two parties. That is undeniable. It seems like the candidates are there to defame each other not to talk about the problems that concern the citizens. It's quite hilarious and terrifying at the same time. Just imagine what the future holds if this becomes the norm. One of my immature friends made a comment that makes sense. He said "The podiums are the the bases where the contestants in the Hunger Games stand before they each take off towards the weapons of their choice ie. the Presidency"

Stacie Lposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Hopefully the podiums won't become a version of the Hunger Games in the future!

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 24 months ago

I would submit that it would be better to simply discard the debates, and have voters view the candidates based on what policies and positions that they mention in their campaigns.

Let them use their websites to converse the issues with the voters, and not give the Media and the political advisers make the selection of issues.

It is the media that wants the MMA, roller derby, wrestling arena for the political debates. They want to sell ads. not political solutions.

I think people want to see how the candidates handle themselves under pressure.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
      bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months agoin reply to this

How is that going so far?

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 24 months ago

It has been the norm for liberal campaigns for years, smearing people and reporting rumors as fact.
    The surprise has been the decline of conservative candidates descending to that level.

Only liberals smear other candidates?

working