jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Are American election campaigns too long, too expensive, too few debates,and/or

1. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 14 months ago

Are American election campaigns too long, too expensive, too few debates,and/or too ridiculous?

While we set term limits (someday, but it requires a Constitutional convention) should we also make them publicly funded with no exceptions, limit the time period for them, insist on a series of real debates, etc.?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12803439_f260.jpg

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 14 months ago

This one sure was all of the above. There should be a spending AND donation cap put on campaigns. Plus do away with the Electoral college so there would be a chance for third party delegates.

1. Perspycacious profile image80
      Perspycaciousposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Greg, I have long maintained that the Electoral College is our final protection against a bogus last minute "revelation" that would otherwise unfairly sway an election.  To be eliminated, it too requires a Constitutional convention.

3. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 14 months ago

That is a question to ponder. More regulation and government involvement in who we get to vote for? I always wonder if being the best debater makes you more qualified to be POTUS. Just like when the IRS gives exemptions when the government hands out money it comes with strings attached and restrictions.
    If this were a government entity doing this it would have to have an executive part to it. So ultimately the sitting party/president would control it. Or may be worse the congress.
    I think your idea might be a good one, but we will just be swapping our current problems for new ones.

1. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Well, the current problem isn't working anymore. EC may have been good at one time, but that time is past.

2. Ericdierker profile image56
      Ericdierkerposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Greg, there is absolutely no doubt on the issue of the EC -- it must go.

4. annart profile image87
    annartposted 14 months ago

Our system in Britain has its flaws but it seems to work and is, at the moment, far less 'showbiz' and costs much less money.
    Watching what's going on in the US at the moment, I'm stunned that any American sees fit to vote at all.  How can you vote for either of those candidates? 
    Television debates are all about the image and the 'say what people want to hear' stuff. 
    We generally have a 3-party system, though there are others who are becoming stronger like the Greens.  It remains very hard to trust anyone as each is often out for personal gain, personal fame or some suchlike.  Rare is the politician who really cares about the people and the everyday issues, though they all say they do.
    To actually answer: yes, much too long, much too expensive and utterly ridiculous this time round.

working