jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

In light of recent revelation of the Panama papers, what should be done about th

1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 21 months ago

In light of recent revelation of the Panama papers, what should be done about those named?

I read in the paper this morning that the Prime Minister of Iceland had resigned due to the Panama papers. What should the world do about these individuals? Why do we allow offshore secret accounts? It seems these banks are helping criminal activities including politicians, drug dealers and tax evaders. Why don't the world deal with this in an effective way? There should be a world shaming event where they are put in front of the public and exposed for who they are.

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 21 months ago

This is a hard question to answer because of the secrecy of these accounts.  We would not have known about this one unless someone had smelled a rat and spilled the beans.

I'm sure if the publish the entire list of names we will be surprised by some, and not at all surprised by others.

For them to be able to deposit this money in offshore accounts it would have to be money with no paper trail and that would indicate illegal activity.

I personally doubt we will be allowed to see all the names.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Who will be able to stop them from releasing all the names?  I think the internet has leveled the playing field somewhat. Just like with Edward Snodden, we learned the NSA has been invading our privacy illegally. Same with the climategate emails...

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 21 months agoin reply to this

It was mentioned that drug cartels are big users of these type accounts.  For personal health reasons they may be reluctant to release those names.  The same would go for some high level government people.  That could affect their health.

working