airport searches

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (51 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

What do you consider to be too "invasive" in searchs prior to boarding commercial aircraft? Why?

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't consider it too "invasive". I consider it absolutely useless though, aside from showing off to taxpayers that the state cares about their security. smile

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mish:
        There is always a way to beat the system...no doubt

2. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Lack of due process.

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

If the process is filmed with the person stripping in view,that would be rude or getting physically manhandled. I'd probably faint tongue

1. qwark profile image61

Dame:
      What about a system like x ray that could peer thru your clothes and see anything you might be carrying?

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are currently trialling that at an airport in the UK. I think its a good idea, so long as the x-rays remain in a private area.

1. qwark profile image61

Izzy:
          I'm not sure it would be x-ray...but a system like that would be wonderful

1. IzzyM profile image87

It's Manchester airport read here if you are interested.
            http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New … y_Machine_

1. qwark profile image61

Izzy:
              REad it....interesting?
              It or something like it will eventually be used in every major airport on the planet.

2. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

X-ray searches don't work as well as you might think:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100105/w … 9195152900

"One of the main criticisms of the scanners, which have already been installed at 19 airports in the U.S., is that they cannot detect low-density materials such as powders, liquids, thin pieces of plastic or anything that resembles skin. Nor can they detect any explosives concealed internally."

The sad fact is that it's never possible to guarantee 100% safety against terrorism.  And the more intrusive you make the checks, the longer the check in times and the more people will be put off from travelling by air.

I'm with Madame X/Benjamin Franklin on this issue.

1. qwark profile image61

Empress:
            given time, we will figure out how to use whatever is necessary to detect anything before boarding a commercial flight. No doubt about it.

1. profile image0

Terrorists, like criminals generally, will always find loopholes. 

I wonder, from reading your posts, just how much incursion into your civil liberties you would actually put up with, if push came to shove. 

I've a hunch that if the incursions affected you personally (i.e. they stopped you from earning a living or doing the things you enjoyed on a day-to-day basis) you wouldn't be quite such a cheerleader for the police state.

1. qwark profile image61

Empress:
                Police state?
                If it meant that I had a police state or death....I'll adapt quickly to the police state.
                I am a survivalist who understands the eternity of death.
                If Islam became the power, I will buy a carpet and pray 5 times a day until the next change in authority...:-)
                You may refer to me as the "chamelion."

1. profile image0

Sooner you than me mate {{{{shudder}}}}

OK, here are some questions:

Would you be prepared to pay lip service to the most blatant lies, because doing so was the only way to stay in your job and hence earn enough money to feed yourself?

Would you be prepared to turn a blind eye when certain of your neighbours, colleagues and even friends "disappeared" overnight, never to be seen again?

Would you be prepared to inform on your closest friends/family members if asked to by the State?

That's what living in a police state entails.  Good luck.  Enjoy.

1. qwark profile image61

Empress:
                    I think I have answered that.
                    if I choose to exist in a police state and that is required of me..of course I would.
                    If I had an option, and there usually are options, to live in other than the police state, I would move. But, if a world gov't becomes a police "state," you bet. The "Chamelion" would do what is necessary to survive.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Is that the same type of scanner that they have at Manchester Airport? I'm only asking because the pictures in this link look different to the pictures on the Sky.com link, it looks like a lower density image.

1. profile image0

I dunno - sorry!

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just like on that movie, *True Lies* lol I think it's a great idea smile I wouldn't want to board a plane with a possible terrorist loaded with a bomb hmm Canada is installing those across the nation too.

1. qwark profile image61

DAme:
          that's the movie I was trying to think of....yes!  that kind of search would be fantastic!

4. profile image0

Lack of jurisdiction.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I don't think anything is too invasive if you've nothing to hide. I have heard of drug traffickers getting stripped and searched internally, but they don't do that without good info that the person is carrying something extreme like heroin.
    As for searching passengers for potential terrorist activity; well I don't like it, I hated that they took the cellophane wrapped unopened cartons of tomato frito off me that I was taking home as a gift for my mother (it was liquid and liquids are banned from hand-luggage), but I'd rather that than someone bringing a liquid bomb aboard the plane.
    Passenger safety is paramount.

1. qwark profile image61

Izzy:
      ..couldnt agree more! thanks!

6. profile image0

"He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither."

-Ben Franklin

1. qwark profile image61

Madame X:
      if you die trying to be safe...loosing your freedom doesnt matter.

1. creepy profile image57
        creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Give me liberty or give me death"

Its an American thing you may not understand

1. qwark profile image61

Creepy: Liberty means nothing to the dead..I'm a survivalist..I'll give up a certain amount of my liberty to continue to exist.

1. creepy profile image57
            creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wont

1. qwark profile image61

Creepy ...your decision..NP :-)

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
              Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me either if you want to take my life you can have it.  I would never roll over to anyone or anything.

Death before Dishonour

2. Jeromeo profile image61
          Jeromeoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Self preservation is the first law of nature, that's a human thing you should understand.

2. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess that depends on what kind of life you want.

1. qwark profile image61

Madame X:
          I want to enjoy this short life using my "intelligence" to survive.
          I am not the kind of American patriot that will willingly die for my country.
          Life is good! I want to live for as long as my genes are programmed to allow me to.:-)

2. Jeromeo profile image61
      Jeromeoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ben Franklin, didn't have Al Qaeda, and modern day terrorist to worry about.  But you're entitled to your opinion and the rest of us don't mind if you [drive] where you want to go.

1. qwark profile image61

Ty Jeremeo...applause

7. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

This is why I'm driving to Arizona! yikes

1. qwark profile image61

K...lol good reason!

1. K Partin profile image60
        K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I'd rather take the scenic route know what I mean?? smile

1. qwark profile image61

"K" ...gotcha!

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

8. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Just curious if that would hurt people with pace makers hmm

1. qwark profile image61

DAme:
      I'm sure that potential problem could be cured..

9. profile image0

"An unexamined life is not worth living."

-Socrates (through Plato's records)

1. qwark profile image61

Madame x
      Personal Life is precious regardless if it is unexamined.

10. breakfastpop profile image64
    breakfastpopposted 14 years ago

I would feel a whole lot safer if the caliber of screener was on par with the ones employed by El Al. I have to admit, i am becoming reluctant to fly and may soon just give it up completely.

11. marcel285 profile image66
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

i reakon they don't search hard enough!! my partner and i left NZ, to Aus to live, we both had warrents for arrest against our names. lol They are not too bright..we didn't do anything that vad though, just for traffic offences and not paying our fines

1. IzzyM profile image87

And Spain is full of criminal expats from the UK. And guess what? They flew here!

12. marcel285 profile image66
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

Oh yeah i told the governemnt people all about my plans to move to Aus, they tried to scare me saying 'pay or stay'. And said that they were going to do eveyrthing to try stop me..But the warrent for arrest is apparently 'a civil matter', which means it's got nothing to do with the cops, therefore, whos going to arrest me? The NZ goverment r so dumb.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)