jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What are your thoughts on this horrible mass shooting in Florida against LGBT co

1. Mario Rdz profile image59
    Mario Rdzposted 22 months ago

What are your thoughts on this horrible mass shooting in Florida against LGBT community?

I'd rather focus on two things,
    1. US is by far the country with the most mass shootings in the world, is the easy access to firearms the main reason that causes this kind of events?
    2. Don't you think it's high time schools started teaching about diversity since primary education?

Every though you give is valid, I just wanted to know a little more about those two aspects but feel free to share your thoughts.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13058931_f260.jpg

2. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 22 months ago

Hi Mario,
    1.  We need to tighten gun sales. Longer waiting periods would be a nice start. Although there might be Constitutional issues in the long run, we need to ban anyone on a terror watch-list from buying a weapon.  I know there are instances when folks could be on those lists in error; we all know someone who was temporarily placed on a no-fly list. But that be can be worked out.  And yes, there could be Federal Govt abuse in the future. That is why we must strengthen FISA courts and anti-terror laws.

2. I don't think formal diversity training is necessary.  LGBTs are being accepted everywhere (give the South time). Just speaking with my nieces and nephews I can see acceptance becoming the norm.    Remember, it was a religious fanatic who did this.  Religion is in decline in this country and hopefully in the Middle East by the end of the century.

Don't forget, even with stricter gun laws, terrorism is not going away. I'm a realist.  The cat is out of the bag, banning weapons for everyone means bad guys will still get them. Sadly, we will always have to be vigilant.  However, if we could make the waiting period 14 days, we might save a life.

3. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 22 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13059425_f260.jpg

Omar Mateen, may have also used several different gay dating apps & Kristina McLaughlin said that Mateen had been going to the bar one or twice a month "for at least three years."

Obvious the man is insane. Are hating the elements of stereotypical gay men just a form of self-hate? As far as access to semi-automatic guns, 2004 was the ban on them expired. But most deaths are from handguns with an average of 9,470 gun homicides per year. Although very high compared to European countries it is not the highest in the world. Colombia averages 13,857 a year.

USA Motor vehicle traffic deaths average 33,804 a year, should we ban cars?  Omar Mateen legally purchased weapons and passed a full background check. Why? 

According to the DailyBeast: "Mateen was actually listed on two federal watch lists, a U.S. official tells The Daily Beast: The Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, which contains classified information, and the Terrorist Screening Database, which is the FBI's central watchlist. The gun background check would have run Mateen's name against that second database, but he had been removed from it in 2014."

Perhaps should be asking the FBI some questions, because the FBI had also investigated and closed case for the Boston Marathon bombers prior to the bombing.

According to FBI Agent Ron Hopper, Mateen first came to the FBI's attention in 2013 when he made inflammatory comments to co-workers alleging possible ties to terrorism.

Hopper says the claims were "thoroughly investigated" and Mateen was interviewed twice.

Seems to me the FBI investigation itself should be investigated. Mateen should never had passed the background check IMHO

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 22 months agoin reply to this

The political correctness has infiltrated the FBI and many of our National agencies. The NSA rather spy on all Americans as exposed by Ed Snowden than profile terrorists. As far as guns are concerned, no laws will prevent crazy fanatics from killing.

2. ptosis profile image72
      ptosisposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Mateen was a natural born American. His Parents were from Afghan

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
      tamarawilhiteposted 22 months agoin reply to this

ISIS throws dozens of homosexuals off rooftops, CAIR never comments. Iran hangs them, American muslims silent. That proves the majority support this sort of activity.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 22 months ago

A Muslim shooter kills homosexuals during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, quoting the Koran and shouting praise to Allah ... and liberals blame the gun, not the man wielding it.
    Thousands of terrorist attacks a year, from burning down churches in Egypt to killing atheists in Pakistan to killing Buddhist school teachers in Thailand to murdering secular Muslims for not being religious enough ... the problem is Islam, a bad ideology contrary to human rights and liberal secular society.
    And the liberals are blaming the weapon, though there have been knife attacks in the EU to behead soldiers and stab police for perceived slights to Islam. (One of which was the day of the Pulse attack.)
    Taking away guns won't change the minds of people who hate you for not belonging to their religion or conforming to its strict moral code. It just makes it harder for average people to defend themselves, especially when the liberal governments blame "extremism", then look at conservatives as potential Taliban while ignoring Muslims setting up Shariah patrols and no-go zones where they attack Jews and homosexuals, threaten bars with violence if they don't close and impose actual Shariah law.
    We will lose this war if we cannot admit who is doing it - Muslims - and why - because Islam's holy book and founder call for this.

working