Why don't facts change a person's opinion?

Jump to Last Post 51-65 of 65 discussions (133 posts)
  1. bkwriter profile image74
    bkwriterposted 7 years ago

Because people are REALLY stupid, REALLY close-minded, and REALLY stubborn.  Basically.

2. Missing Link profile image70
    Missing Linkposted 7 years ago

people get too invested in their belief system - that's why

I must say though that many so called facts end up not being so.  what is an alleged fact today is revealed in the future to have never been true at all.

some things though are ironclad facts and if that cannot change a person's belief system then there is nothing that can be done

3. janeenjesse@yahoo profile image62
    janeenjesse@yahooposted 7 years ago

I think the answer to this question lies in personality. There are various types pf personalities and personality disorders. In our modern society and our lack of interaction with nature creates a slew of conflicting personalities. The development of such personalities and how people relate to one another reflects our own cultural dysfunction. In America today we see a rising number of sociopathic and narcissistic types of personalities. Defiance disorders have been on the rise. These people are self centered and lack empathy for others. They can be cruel, refuse truth, and even enjoy hurting others not only physically but emotionally. Other personality types are under-developed. Those who are immature remain like teenagers. They are defiant and refuse to listen to reason.  For example 70 million Americans do not even vote. Earlier in our history society used religion to explain devient personality types by declaring certain behaviors evil and taught that people could find a moral conscience if they became reborn and found God. Science teaches us that personality types are extremely hard to change and in my opinion that is why many continue to insist facts are false. It may be the case that they know the truth but they just do not care. Our society has created a world that accepts and even encourages selfish, defiant, vain behaviors. In conclusion I do not believe that many Americans have " misconceptions". It may be the case that they really do know better and just do not care. Making excuses and trashing others with false information has too often become the norm. We need to work hard and do a better job at teaching compassion to the next generations.

4. ChandramohanaraoN profile image56
    ChandramohanaraoNposted 7 years ago

In Sanskrit there is a saying "Satyameva Jayathe", that means "truth triumphs". The question is, "When?' Mythology of all religions proves the single fact that truth triumphs after lots of sacrifices are made by individuals, by groups and by nations. By the time reality dawns upon the proletariat that the person, group or nation did the right thing by refuting the false information or say, canards a lot of damage ius done.

But for strong-willed people, all others try to hide their reactions or emotions or whatever we call them, behind the veil of an covert veil of "innocence". 

Is this cowardice?  Not exactly. Individual security in the jungle of "untruth, exaggeration and falsehood" is lacking. Each individual looks for his/her security first and common good next. A reasonable reason for the aberration.

5. erorantes profile image51
    erorantesposted 7 years ago

Ignorance makes people have their own conclusions. We all have different brains. Medications help to good or bad thoughts. Unless, you are a scientist; people believe what it is a fact.  Some people are very smart. They do not get mislead. I hope you like my answer miss Katheleen Cochran. The source of the information is important.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing in this discussion.  You made some good points.

6. Karin Weakley profile image59
    Karin Weakleyposted 7 years ago

Because, no matter how many facts you place in front of a person if they have their minds made up, it is pointless.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very true Karin !even in the subject of religion. It's many times about ones ego .that seems more important then to admit the truth when they hear it.
      But Jesus says we need adjust our thinking
      Be humble and learn.

7. craftybegonia profile image60
    craftybegoniaposted 7 years ago

It all the depends, if the person is open-minded, I have seen people change things that were with them for a lifetime. I suppose there are certain personalities that tend to get more set in their ways, that tend to cling with more tenacity to their own opinions or who hate to be found wrong on anything.

8. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years ago

1) Most people believe what they want to believe despite the facts.
    2) Many people believe what their friends or co-workers say because they are too lazy to research
    3) Some people pick a side and become die-hard fans and believe every thing that person/group says.

Thank you for asking this question.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering it!

9. profile image53
    Justyna Pinelposted 7 years ago

I don't know why but it is always funny to see how 'don't' change our state of mind. Last week I read an awesome article about To don't list  http://blog.kanbanery.com/dont-list-kanban-hack/
    Ofter we feel that we have to do everything so finally when we decided to 'don't do it' we feel great?

10. profile image51
    Leongardnerposted 7 years ago

Because of dogmatism. They are dogmatic, and have instilled beliefs in there conscious and subconscious minds, whether based on logical evidence, or not. It really makes no difference, because the mind does not care about what is wrong or right, real or not etc, it will always choose emotion over facts/logic. And you challenge their conditioned beliefs they go into defense mode (usually get offended etc), that is the brains way of trying to protect there belief, because it is not just a belief it is part of them and who they are and adds to there idea of what life actually means. Every time you challenge them to something that goes against there belief they become more vulnerable to reconsidering there belief system, therefore reconsidering there ideology and identity and the brain doesn't like that. We don't like change.

11. starsweightloss profile image40
    starsweightlossposted 7 years ago

Because some people are so stuck in their own ways, that they cannot see reality.

12. Rock Artist profile image67
    Rock Artistposted 7 years ago

I think people need to respect each other's choices and beliefs, although it seems to be difficult to have a rational and calm conversation with someone about politics and religion when they don't think the way you do.  That's why I think that these two subjects should stay out of conversations with friends and family members because they only lead to hurt feelings when someone doesn't agree with your mindset.  Politics and religion are two extremely personal subjects and everyone has the right to feel the way they do, however I don't think we have the right to bash each other's viewpoints and criticize others for what they think and feel in their hearts.  Everyone, not just some, has come to their decisions involving these two topics based on how they are brought up, what they have been taught, what they listen to, and how they rationalize their opinions and beliefs.  No one, not one of us, is ever going to make anyone believe exactly the same thing they do.  We all have a right to believe what we want and no one wants anyone else to tell them what to think.  I also think that the newscasters in this country have too much personal input into the reports that people see on the news.  There is entirely too much yelling at other newscasters, talking over others, not listening when someone is trying to get their viewpoint across, putting their personal spin on every "news" story trying to get people to agree with them.  Just sayin...

13. Kkinkel80 profile image62
    Kkinkel80posted 7 years ago

My answer would have to be from the perspective of my parents who are 80ish and VERY set in their ways of thinking and that's that. Now that I am an adult ive formed my own independent thoughts some differ from theirs and I accept it. I respect their point of view unlike my siblings who will argue with them but it's no use we all should respect that not everyone is going to have same thoughts and opinions and to me that's the way it should be!

14. REALfoodie profile image81
    REALfoodieposted 7 years ago

Answer in 2 words: COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.

15. profile image60
    georgemichalenyposted 4 years ago

As a good human we should respect others. So this will help to lead the good life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)