jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do politics tear some families apart? How do different families handle this

1. Readmikenow profile image96
    Readmikenowposted 18 months ago

Why do politics tear some families apart? How do different families handle this situation?

I've seen some family members get into angry political discussions that have descended into name calling and worse.  I don't understand it.  At the end of any election, family is still family.  Why permit this to happen and not just keep it in perspective?

2. tamarawilhite profile image93
    tamarawilhiteposted 18 months ago

We increasingly define our tribes by our beliefs, religious or political. When family seemingly betray the tribe, you get fights.

1. Readmikenow profile image96
      Readmikenowposted 18 months agoin reply to this

I agree, but I would like to see people realize that politics will change, but family will always be there. Shouldn't family be more important that politics?

2. tamarawilhite profile image93
      tamarawilhiteposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Sometimes beliefs are considered more important than family.  One family photo of two brothers who fought on opposite sides of the Civil War. 90% of honor killings are by Muslims who consider Islamic rules more important than family's lives.

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 18 months ago

Hi Mike...I'm happy to say I've not ever witnessed a serious rift among family members due to differing political views. Perhaps some teasing or joking and maybe a little sarcasm, but nothing that escalates to actual fighting.
    Your last question is the key.  Just make a firm decision within your group to not "allow" such things to cause arguments or hurt feelings.  Family members all know one another pretty well.  If the general consensus of opinion is that of avoiding political discussion altogether, then so be it.
    Yes, family is and always will be family. Are we really so stubborn and insistent to make our points known and try to convert that we can risk our lifelong relationships?  Maybe for some people but IMHO that's going much too far and shouldn't be accepted. 
    On a personal level, members of my family are fairly diverse, not just in politics but many other aspects of life, so we're very used to numerous differences of opinions.  It's pretty simple.  We love one another so we listen, tolerate and do not judge.

working