jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think the education that you receive, or your children receive the apt wa

1. Lince Tomy profile image60
    Lince Tomyposted 18 months ago

Do you think the education that you receive, or your children receive the apt way to teach/learn?

Don't you think the education nowadays is not about knowing or learning the concept but mugging up without knowing anything?
    The ones who can memorize things without actually understanding it are rewarded more than the ones who can actually use the concept they learn and understand in real life situations..........
    Is this the way things should be?

2. Paxash profile image98
    Paxashposted 18 months ago

Rote memorization is certainly not the way to go with regards to education. I excelled in history and science because the way I was taught, it was mostly memorization of facts and dates that went out of my head after the test was done. I'm sure the vast majority of what I learned in both subjects even up through college courses is gone from my mind forever at this point, which entirely defeats the point of trying to educate someone in the first place.

So no, education should be more than "memorize this thing and then take a test. There, you're done." Otherwise, what's really the point?

I'd also like to add that this isn't a modern problem. It's a problem that's existed for a long time. Rote memorization has long been the standard for many subjects, unfortunately.

3. thumbi7 profile image64
    thumbi7posted 18 months ago

"Life skills" should be a part of education
    Many schools and parents look at students as machines to learn
    We need to understand what the children go through and understand their emotional needs and intellectual capacities
    Then only a child will evolve into a useful and responsible adult

4. profile image58
    Setank Setunkposted 18 months ago

Life skills are the theme of education in the U.S. today, and also why the U.S. has the poorest educated kids in the Western World.
    Memorization is key in quality education. I am not speaking to the practice of material memorization for tests but in memorization drills on key educational components. A good example is the past practice of memorizing States and Capitals and the respective shape and location of States within the U.S. The purpose is not to expect children to remember them forever: although many do. Its that their familiarity itself acts as a learning tool; a frame of reference for the assimilation of other information. The same goes for Math drills, U.S Presidents, U.S. Geography and vocabulary and spelling. These are all important learning tools.