jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

How can we take more responsibility for the social ills of the world?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image86
    Kenna McHughposted 17 months ago

How can we take more responsibility for the social ills of the world?

2. promisem profile image97
    promisemposted 17 months ago

Learn, read, listen, think and vote to start.

Kenna McHughposted 17 months agoin reply to this

I agree.  It is not a good time to be ignorant.

2. threekeys profile image81
      threekeysposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with you promisem. And where and when we can-"act as the change we want to see in the world". I feel humanity is at the tipping point. If we all do our bit in our own circle then "from little things big things grow".

3. promisem profile image97
      promisemposted 17 months agoin reply to this

I'm concerned that too many people live their lives in quiet little boxes and leave the problems to someone else.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image86

Yes. I agree. Help others. Even if it is just your family at first. Help others see the importance of helping the world. But, it needs to be done with earnest and not selfishly.

3. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image88
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 17 months ago

Keep exposing them and wait for the sheep mentality to turn hostile. Someday, if not today they will. The moment the support is withdrawn the social ills will fall flat and gradually fade away.

But yes, the so called breed of apologist who now sprung from all corners do pose a threat.

How does one expose them?

2. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image88
      AshutoshJoshi06posted 17 months agoin reply to this

Simply by creating more awareness. Most ills are deep rooted in the society, and associated with notions and beliefs. You gotta slowly and gradually puncture them while ensuring it do not project as outright offensive. Everyone's Efforts count.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

When someone says we have to try to save the world, I'm reminded of George Carlin's rant on the arrogance of trying to save a planet that survived what killed off the dinosaurs.
    Trying to solve social problems that are caused by people? One person can't, and trying to take on something that big will make you miserable.
    You can work toward things that have proven benefits. Encourage people to marry before having children, since children born to unmarried mothers (even if living with the guy at the time) are 3 times more likely to grow up mentally ill, get arrested, become an addict, drop out of school. When you're married, you're more likely to save for retirement and college. In short, a legally formed family focuses people on the children and future - and the children benefit. Just marrying the father of the child would lift more than a third of single mothers out of poverty, with social benefits that are greater than if they just lived together.
    In other areas, encourage self sufficiency over dependency. For someone to take a job that pays minimum wage but they can work up from instead of welfare that will keep them trapped in dependency, sapping them of initiative and draining society as a whole.
    That's why Judaism considers giving someone a loan to start a business so they can support themselves infinitely better charity than constantly giving them food or just giving them that amount of money.

Having a job and earning your own way gives a person self-respect. Welfare should only be temporary, perhaps like a loan, then they pay it back.

working