jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Last night, I was watching Barbarians Rising which detailed the gradual fall of

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 19 months ago

Last night, I was watching Barbarians Rising which detailed the gradual fall of the Roman

Empire because of the revolt of the subject peoples w/n the empire as well as outsiders.  In light of this, do you believe that because of the sociopolitical & sociocultural division of the United States that eventually America will explode & implode culturally, politically, & racially?  Why? Why not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13148052_f260.jpg

2. Ken Burgess profile image89
    Ken Burgessposted 19 months ago

No I don't think that is likely, the unrest we see today is nothing compared to what this nation has weathered in the past.

All you have to do is review some history, the Civil War for example, even the 60s, with JFK, RFK and MLK being assassinated and all the riots and issues going on then... those times make these times look mild in comparison.

But what America does face is a redistribution of wealth, out of the country and to other nations... as China, Mexico, Brazil, etc. become more equal as nations to our own economically, our ways of life will become more moderate (less physical wealth, less of our society with two, three, houses, etc.).

What we need to fear, if anything, is a collapse of our economy... an occurance worse than what we dealth with in 2007... if that were to occur in the next few years I doubt we would truly recover from it during my lifetime, and typically the only thing that pulls a nation out of such a collapse is a very costly, very deadly war.

We as a nation are oblivious to our 20 Trillion dollar debt... but eventually running up our debt, while having a yearly trade deficit running around a trillion dollars (all nations combined) will be prove to be unsustainable... and then the life styles we have grown accustomed to will be but a memory.

3. tamarawilhite profile image89
    tamarawilhiteposted 19 months ago

The fall of the Roman Empire can be traced to when they let in the large barbarian tribes without dispersing them to ensure their assimilation, so they allowed what became a foreign invasion into their lands that grew until the newcomers tore it down.

You can have a demographically diverse empire if you have a strong, shared ideological identity, which the Romans managed. Or you can have a large empire with a shared ethnicity with variety in cultural norms, like the Han Chinese ranging from Confucian to Buddhist, coast to desert. But you cannot manage a large empire with both cultural and demographic diversity without a large loyal army and great risk of fracturing - Balkanization.

In the name of creating something better, importing people from contrary cultures and then saying "don't assimilate, in fact, you're better" creates those separate tribes AND resentment between them and the locals ... That guarantees eventual split up, whether no go zones for police in Malmo, Sweden or BLM mandated ones.

1. Ken Burgess profile image89
      Ken Burgessposted 18 months agoin reply to this

What really killed it off was the plague if I remember correctly, wiped out a half or a third of the entire Empire's population.

working