jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people like democracy?

1. JH Sayyar profile image60
    JH Sayyarposted 16 months ago

Why do people like democracy?

I think people like democracy due to lack of education and the knowledge of reality. In democracy people befool the voters giving argument in favor of democracy while I say it is fraud because horse trading is the main fault of this system. It is the system in which is counted head either be a head of a donkey or a scholar . There is no definition of democracy all over the world. Do you agree?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13241512_f260.jpg

2. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 16 months ago

Have you ever lived somewhere that was not a democracy?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
      Kathleen Cochranposted 16 months agoin reply to this

C J: You took the words right out of my mouth.  Democracy with all its flaws is better than any other form of government on earth.  More people have more freedoms, peace and prosperity than under any other form.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

People are happy with a place in the world when it is one they have chosen. They hate it when they are forced to be somewhere they don't want to be.
    Democracy allows most people the ability to give their input and shape events. This is why having as much local decision making as possible is best instead of a mega-state that holds infrequent elections. When a majority a thousand miles away vote to change school curriculum, take money without concern for how you need to use it, issue regulations that make your life much harder, even a LARGE democracy that allows majorities that don't live near you do decide your life create animosity.

I agree that a mob is the worst case example of democracy. That is why the United States and a number of other nations are Republics, with limits on what the voters can do. For example, they can't vote in to take away one person's property or outlaw rights for a small minority. That balances the desires of the majority with the rights of the minority.

1. lions44 profile image98
      lions44posted 16 months agoin reply to this

Tamara, that is one of the best answers for the defense of democracy I have ever heard. Great job.

working