Why Do A Majority Of Black American's Vote Democratic?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image77
    Sharlee01posted 2 weeks ago

https://hubstatic.com/16992064_f1024.jpg

The historical bond between the Democratic Party and the Black community in the United States is rich and complex, marked by pivotal moments and initiatives, particularly in the 1960s, that underscore Democrats' support for Black citizens. In this brief overview, I will present a condensed timeline spotlighting critical events that demonstrate the positive influence of Democratic policies on African Americans. Nevertheless, it's essential to consider the present and ask, "What recent actions demonstrate ongoing support?   "What have you done for me lately, and have you earned my vote?

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 stands as a landmark achievement in the fight for racial equality. President Lyndon B. Johnson, a Democrat, signed the legislation into law, marking a pivotal moment in American history. However, it's crucial to acknowledge that the Civil Rights Act culminated years of activism and advocacy by civil rights leaders and organizations, many of whom were not aligned with any political party. The Act aimed to dismantle segregation in public spaces and eliminate employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

Another significant milestone during Johnson's presidency was the Voting Rights Act of 1965. This legislation aimed to dismantle legal barriers at the state and local levels that obstructed African Americans from exercising their right to vote, as guaranteed under the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

In the 1960s, President Johnson's administration launched various initiatives under the banner of the "War on Poverty." Programs such as Medicaid, Head Start, and Job Corps were implemented to combat poverty and inequality, benefiting many African Americans who were disproportionately affected by economic hardship.

Affirmative action policies, designed to address historical discrimination and promote opportunities for marginalized groups, have garnered support from many Democrats. These policies, implemented across various sectors including education and employment, aim to foster diversity and redress systemic inequalities.

Efforts to reform the criminal justice system have also been championed by Democrats, recognizing its disproportionate impact on African Americans. Advocacy for changes in sentencing laws, racial profiling, and supporting reentry programs for formerly incarcerated individuals are among the key initiatives in this realm.

The passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in 2010, under President Barack Obama, expanded access to healthcare coverage for millions of Americans, INCLUDING many African Americans who were previously uninsured or underinsured. While not specifically targeted at African Americans, the ACA has had a significant impact on improving health outcomes within the Black community.

Democratic ideologies have long championed social and economic policies aimed at tackling the disparities that disproportionately impact African Americans. These include advocating for higher minimum wages, improving access to affordable housing, and investing in education and job training programs. However, despite the advocacy, and promises, it's challenging to find concrete factual achievements in addressing these issues within the context of Democratic initiatives. 

However, It's essential to recognize the complexity and nuance inherent in the relationship between the Democratic Party and the Black community. Not all actions or policies pursued by Democrats have universally benefited African Americans, and the Black community itself is not monolithic, with diverse opinions and perspectives on political issues and party affiliations. Understanding this complexity is crucial in navigating the ongoing dialogue surrounding race, politics, and social justice in America.

1. In what ways have Democrats advocated for criminal justice reform to address its disproportionate impact on the Black community?

2. Can you discuss some social and economic policies advocated by Democrats to tackle disparities affecting African Americans, such as higher minimum wages and affordable housing?

3. How do differing perspectives within the Black community influence its relationship with the Democratic Party, and how does the party navigate this diversity of opinions?

4. Are there specific recent actions or policies by Democrats that demonstrate ongoing support for the African American community? If so, what are they?

5. Share your view, Has the Democratic party done anything in recent years to earn the loyalty of Black Americans?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

5. I will share the view. The Republican Party has taken on a reactionary posture and attitude over many topics in recent times. From our standpoint, based on the timeless struggle, "reactionary" is a contrary word, indicating a reversal of progress in race relations and greater parity within our society. Most of us won't vote for that.

An poignant excerpt from an article that is long and comprehensive, looking at Black Republicans as well as Democrats
      -----

Traditionally, the Republican Party in the United States is considered to be supported by voters with upper middle incomes, the older generation, and those who adhere to conservative values. This point of view is largely true of all racial and ethnic groups inhabiting the United States, with the exception of African Americans. Back in the late 1970s, Republican think tanks were confident that, as the economic performance of the African-American community improved, their party would be able to secure a significant number of middle and upper black votes. However, this did not happen: class interests could not supplant racial ones.

The long struggle of the African-American community against the system of racial discrimination has formed the main feature of the behavior of black voters, who continue to act as an electoral monolith in many respects. From the point of view of the average African American, individual interests should give way to group interests, since only in conditions of maintaining unity can the demands of the black minority be heard.

In speaking of African Americans with high and middle incomes, it should be noted that their economic status is much more the result of the actions of governments led by the Democratic Party, aimed at counteracting, from their point of view, discriminatory free market practices through the introduction of a system of racial–ethnic quotas when hiring. Thus, a large number of highly paid African Americans are employees of the public sector and link their financial well-being precisely with the policies of the Democrats.
      ---------
      The article explains things in detail better than I could although it is somewhat lengthy, take on what you can.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10052273/

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

To answer the original question, the answer is LBJ. Franklin Roosevelt didn’t hurt either. In any event Snopes “defends” LBJ, the hero of Democrats, in this article.
      https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lbj-v … emocratic/

But to the dismay of Progressives, mainstream Democrats, and Globalists, more and more Blacks (and Hispanics) are switching back to the Party they supported before LBJ began promising greater welfare to women, so long as they took the man out of the house. Thus, the decline of the family unit began in Black households.

The good news is that smart men and women do not have to rely on government jobs. They can become President, Senators, doctors, lawyers, master mechanics, architects, and more. There is no limit to what minorities can do, especially if they have a strong family unit that believes in hard work, God, education, and determination.

In fact Black students have more privilege than Asian students, who are the greatest minority.

Blacks can get into a college of higher learning with far lower scores than their Asian or White counterparts. It isn’t fair, but it is a reality.

Thomas Sowell has written numerous books on this subject. You may want to research his work.

1. Sharlee01 profile image77
        Sharlee01posted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

All great points, and food for thought. Should get some to sit back and think about what you shared.

3. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for the brief history as well as thoughtful questions asked. I am baffled in the sense, I simply don't know. However, a little poking about opened some doors. I arrived at a Google University landing page with the search phrase, "What has Biden done for Blacks".
      https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … lacks#ip=1

There are both pro and con articles to pick and choose from. I skimmed a couple. The range from 2022 - 2024. There are 2024 articles pointing out 'some' Blacks are souring on Biden with a consensus being that of younger males.

Number one in the serp is;
      FACT SHEET: The Biden-⁠Harris Administration Advances Equity and Opportunity for Black Americans and Communities Across the Country
      by The White House (Feb 6, 2024)
      https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo … country-2/

Probably has bias, maybe not, yet, is comprehensive spanning the topics following. They list the whats as bullet points for each topic.

**Growing Economic Opportunity for Black Families and Communities
      **Helping Black-Owned Businesses Grow and Thrive
      **Increasing Access to Housing and Rooting Out Discrimination in the Housing Market for Black Communities
      **Ensuring Equitable Educational Opportunity for Black Students
      **Improving Health Outcomes for Black Families and Communities
      **Launched An Unprecedented Whole-Of-Government Equity Agenda to Ensure the Promise of America for All Communities, including Black Communities
      **Protecting the Sacred Right to Vote for Black Families and Communities
      **Addressing the Crisis of Gun Violence in Black Communities
      **Enhancing Public Trust and Strengthening Public Safety for Black Communities

What was perhaps more revealing was a Kaiser Family Foundation study on Black Voters. Lengthy, yet quite revealing. However, it is from 2022, so one must consider change to an extent.
      KFF/theGrio Survey of Black Voters by KFF (Oct 18, 2022)
      https://www.kff.org/report-section/kff- … -findings/

For background on voters from the study we arrive upon;

Ideology: About half of Black voters say their views in most political matters are moderate (54%), while 28% say they are liberal and 17% say conservative.

Age: Black voters are older on average than the Black adult population overall. About 1 in 5 (21%) Black voters are under the age of 30, slightly more than a third (36%) are between 30 and 49, a quarter (26%) are 50-64 and 18% are 65 or older.

Gender: Black voters are disproportionately women. A majority of Black voters (57%) are women, compared to about four in ten (42%) men."

Some focuses of concern of importance are in order:

** Voter suppression / voting rights - 80%
      ** Health care - 78%
      ** Gun violence - 77%
      ** Inflation - 76%
      ** Affordable housing - 75%
      ** Criminal justice and policing - 75%
      ** Abortion access - 64%
      ** Climate change - 52%
      ** Immigration - 38%

Observation seems to point out with the Fact Sheet Biden addresses some of those top concerns from the 2022 KFF study. When, I don't know. I'll look deeper at a later time.

Again, though lengthy, jammed packed with graphics offering as said revealing information. For instance, the Black community is not that fond of the Supreme Court. They weren't happy about Roe v. Wade being overturned too.

As far as Democrat vs. Republican they say

The Democrat Party represents them

Very Well - 22%
      Somewhat well - 51%
      Not too well - 19%
      Not at all well - 8%

The Republican Party represents them

Very well - 5%
      Somewhat well - 16%
      Not too well - 36%
      Not at all well - 43%

1. profile image0

These figures are meaningless without context.

Data is easily skewed, especially on the internet which leans heavily toward the Left. This is common knowledge for any thinking individual. It’s one of the first thing one learns in Business.

Again, Google is heavy biased to the Left. I realize you do not know that, and Democrats certainly appreciate that about you, because they know you will always vote for a globalist.

Perhaps you could try learning more about statistics or the globalist agenda.

Seriously. I wish you would.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
          Kathleen Cochranposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Is everything biased towards the left or is it just biased towards reason and logic?

Context can be skewed also, especially by those who lean heavily towards the right. Seriously.

1. profile image0

Not original. I would encourage you to use words that you thought of, all by yourself.

2. tsmog profile image83
          tsmogposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for the 'suggestion'. I learned 'something', anyway.

1. profile image0

I deserved that. It’s your prerogative to be a moderate. Appreciate the reminder.

2. Sharlee01 profile image77
        Sharlee01posted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow! That's a wealth of information, and I appreciate you addressing all my questions. While I'm a tad skeptical about the White House Fact Sheet, I haven't quite mustered the energy to fact-check it myself. However, I've noticed some recent polls indicating a decline in Biden's approval ratings. Despite this, I believe the majority of Black citizens will ultimately remain supportive of Biden.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 weeks ago

From the Arbatov Institute of US and Canadian Studies:

"The policy of the Republican administration of Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, aimed at lowering taxes, reducing social security, reducing federal interference in “state rights,” and tightening criminal justice, was perceived by African Americans as generally directed against the interests of their community.

The African-American community perceived the new wave of black political conservatism not as an organic ideology that appeared at the grassroots level, but as a model imposed from above of the desired interracial relations in the country, from the point of view of white Americans. A significant number of the black population became entrenched in the opinion that the policy of the Republican Party, regardless of the presence of individual advantages of its program, is predominantly racist and discriminatory against the African American community."

1. profile image0

https://www.smh.com.au/national/enigmat … 122-18435.

fYI: Thomas Sowell addressed and debunked the theory regarding Ronald Reagan in his book, “ The Vision of the Annointed.”

3. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 2 weeks ago

Could be a multitude of factors.

The first being that black people look at who makes up the republican party and sees some white nationalists over on the far-right wing and don't want anything to do with a party that would appeal to people with those values.

Next, it could be the fact that voter suppression laws, of which many in the Republican party promote, negatively affect people of color.  Let alone the numerous times there has been racial gerrymandering in the past few years that aimed to take away representation from people of color.

It could be Donald Trump's dismal response to the George Floyd murder or his past history with the Central Park Five.  It could be his openly racist rhetoric like 'China Virus, Coco Chow, or Pocahontas.'  I hear black people don't like openly racist people.

It could be the anti-abortion stance, where a majority of people who seek abortions are people of color or people of poverty.

Maybe it's the Replacement Theory being promoted by the mainstream media of the right.  The one that led to many black Americans being killed up in Buffalo in a racist mass shooting.  Maybe it was El Paso, where violent rhetoric led to that mass shooting.

Take your pick, honestly.  There's a lot to choose from.

1. Credence2 profile image78

How careless of me, I almost forgot about these things…..

4. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 2 weeks ago

Democrat congresswoman suggests black people be exempt from paying taxes as form of reparations
    https://nypost.com/2024/04/10/us-news/d … ing-taxes/

Democrats cater... that's why.

1. profile image0

This is what it takes to secure 91.5% of the vote in a Democratic district?

Okay, then. Talk about setting the bar really low.

LBJ would be proud. His racist legacy lives on.

The good news is that more minorities are waking up. Young minorities are experiencing a sea change. That’s a good and beautiful thing.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Because minorities are realizing that they only get hand-outs... in return for giving up their opportunity to become something more.

Many are realizing that politicians pandering to them by promising them a free ride is just for votes and that they will be dumped on as soon as its convenient for them to do so. 

Look at how much money they are finding to house, feed, care for migrants... they could have addressed any issue they wanted to with those billions.  Just like they find hundreds of billions to fund their wars.

Democrats today are all about dividing Americans against other Americans... full of divisiveness and derogatory labels.

Democrats want to label and put you in your assigned role, based on race and sex, to determine what you are allowed to get and do... no room for merit or opportunity in today's New America.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 9 days agoin reply to this

Exactly, Democrats were lulling many into a give me, victimology mindset.

2. Credence2 profile image78

No, Democrats listen that is why.

The other nonsense about the Republican Party gathering more black votes with their current record is science fiction and wishful thinking that has never manifested itself at any time, even amongst the youngest and least educated among us, who are most susceptible to being deceived by the "Grand Old Party"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)