jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How likely it is for you to intervene when someone is in an emergency?

1. Cricrinel profile image67
    Cricrinelposted 19 months ago

How likely it is for you to intervene when someone is in an emergency?

2. RTalloni profile image87
    RTalloniposted 19 months ago

I would like to think very likely.  The last emergency for someone else that I faced was in-flight out west over mountains.  A girl collapsed onto me and a stewardess who was stuck between her and a cart.  I knew I couldn't help her but the man beside me was getting ready to jump over me to try.  I told him to wait while I untangled and jumped forward down the aisle.  Helping is sometimes just getting out of the way.  Jumping in before assessing can be quite harmful.  It is very sad to hear of cases where people could have helped but ignored a situation.  BTW, the girl had been to a dance something in Seattle and had not eaten anything but rice for a week.  She was much better after they made her eat a bit…in my seat.  smile

Cricrinelposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for replying smile

3. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 19 months ago

Elizabeth....Great question. I hope you receive a good number of responses.  It's always interesting to come back & learn more about human nature.
    I have to admit I am of the naturally immediate response type. The moment I'm made aware of a crisis, my mind instantly goes into action with quick analysis of as much as I can absorb. Actually, my training for so many years, taught me how to do this in the most feasible, positive way. 
    Learning how and when to help, how to act as triage & take remedial action as opposed to just "getting in the way" of an emergency event, is a huge part of emergency training.
    I'll clarify in all honesty now too. If I'm especially connected to or close to a possible victim in an emergency, I am only able to assist as long as I don't pass out by hyperventilation & my racing heart. I'm just being honest.  Good luck with your responses!  Peace, Paula

Cricrinelposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for responding to my question. Extremely useful reply Paula. I've just published an article about the bystander effect, that's why I raised the question. It's really interesting to see the opinion of the people on these matters.Kind regards

working