jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why should I vote?

1. profile image59
    Samzehrposted 16 months ago

Why should I vote?

Why should I vote for president? There's basically two retards that are going to win whether I vote or not? Right? Am I a bad American not to vote? We have Hillary who is a government bread snake. And we have trump who is a ignorant asshole. My friends keep telling me to vote for a third party member. Are they right? Is this election really as bad as it looks? Part of me hates myself for being a fat lazy white privileged dude who doesn't want to get up off the old couch; but part of me also kinda wants to see what new hell will break loose once Hillary or trump is elected.Screw it going Mexico

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13247619_f260.jpg

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 16 months ago

Chances are that it won't matter whether you vote or not. The Electoral College is what chooses the president. But there is always that the popular vote count could prove that the EC is wrong. Voting will actually only make you feel better or nothing depending on you. Your choice.

3. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image83
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 16 months ago

In India we have recently added a button of NOTA, i,e., None of the Above. That is the only option, when you have to opt for the less worse.

If NOTA supersedes the votes of the winner then there would be fresh elections, banning the present candidates, but this law is still an utopia.

The present elections in US would necessitate this addition. On the other hand the reduced percentage of voting will take away the glamour of victory.

4. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 16 months ago

That thought is what gets things done differently than what the people want. Nobody votes, so government can make their own choice.  The ballot does not pertain to just the president. It also has the state, local and the house of congress needing your vote. Sometimes there are important questions that need answered. Our government is not made up of mind readers. How will they know what the people want if they don't vote. Don't vote and you have no right to complain.

5. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 16 months ago

The way I look at it, living in a society entails some civic duties, one of which is voting. The other thing is, if You don't vote and are not engaged in politics then, You have no say in the way society is being run. Your vote will always have an impact even if it is just towards those who You vote for - it shows your support for their work and energy spent. Or, You can try to run yourself for office. Why not? Good Luck!

6. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 16 months ago

My answer for WHY we should vote  is pretty much "Ditto," Mr. Happy.  We should make the effort to vote after considering as much as possible about the candidates, their plans & intentions.  It's a right/privilege we should exercise as an American.
    I can also feel your sense of "why does it matter or what's the point?"  In case you haven't kept up with the chatter, you are not alone.  Many people are feeling the same way.  I'd suggest you try to snap out of the doldrums & vote. If no one impresses you, vote against the one you agree with less.

Win or lose, it's good to feel even a tiny part of the process.  Like Mr. Happy mentioned~ If we refrain from voting at all, we must not complain too loudly when we're upset with government.  Good luck.

working