Getting out the vote. Voting behavior.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

(About a 2 min read)

First, what has voter turnout been in the U.S. over the most recent years? Ballotpedia says;

2002 – 40.5%
    2004 – 60.7% (President)
    2006 – 41.3%
    2008 – 62.2% (President)
    2010 – 41.8%
    2012 – 58.6% (President)
    2014 – 36.7%
    2016 – 60.1% (President)
    2018 – 50%
    2020 – 66.6% (President)
    2022 – 46.6%

** The historical trend since 1932 is 55.4%. So, we see recent presidential elections have a rise in participating citizens.

** But, “Turnout in the United States is below average among members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), a grouping of mostly high-income countries.” Amongst those nations, the high is 78% and the low is 51%

Is voting a responsibility of citizens? A duty? Any ideas on how to get the voter turnout to be higher? Should the voter turnout be higher? Is it important to have a high voter turnout? Is education a factor? Do some voters not know what is going on and feel simply they don’t know, so don’t vote? What about impediments to voting for good cause such as election security? Do those inhibit voter participation?  Are they valid?

Voting behavior

The following are the main reasons why a person votes the way they do. There may be others. Your thoughts?

** It is a product of socialization – family, extended family, community, etc.
    ** They are a team member. No matter how that arrives, they are a team member.
    ** Follow the crowd or their social group/circle
    ** Fear
    ** Have disgust
    ** Unhappiness
    ** Negative advertising keying in on emotions

** And, the ICPSR of the University of Michigan says;

“A number of attitudinal and social factors are related to individual voting behavior. Among attitudinal factors, assessments of the personal characteristics of the candidates, evaluations of government performance, orientations on specific policy issues, party identification, and ideology are the primary determinants of candidate choice. For social factors, race, religion, region, and social class appear to be the characteristics that have most closely related to voting over the past several decades. Examining how these factors are related to the vote in particular elections not only allows us to explain the election outcome, but also can provide us with an understanding of electoral dynamics. All of the ideas raised in this chapter can be examined with the data contained in this package.”

Any thoughts?

Some of the articles used:

Voter turnout in United States elections by Ballotpedia. If curious  about your state the information can be found there for years 2002 – 2022.
    https://ballotpedia.org/Voter_turnout_i … _elections

How Does U.S. Voter Turnout Compare to the Rest of the World’s? by Council on Foreign Relations (Aug 24, 2022)
    https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/how-does-u … est-worlds

Voting Behavior by ICPSR – University of Michigan
    https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/web/pages/i … oting.html

The Psychology of Voting by ABCNews (Sept 6, 2000)
    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story … amp;page=1

The hidden psychology of voting by the BBC (May 6, 2015)
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2015 … -of-voting

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 6 months agoin reply to this

Concentrating on your questions  ---  Voting is not just a right but also a fundamental responsibility of citizens in a democratic society. It's a means through which individuals can actively participate in the governance of our country. While it's not legally classified as a duty, I  argue that it carries a moral duty because it plays a vital role in shaping the direction of a nation. Increasing voter turnout is a common goal for both parties.

So, what could help get more citizens to vote?  First and foremost, civic education programs can be expanded to ensure citizens understand the significance of their vote and the political process. Secondly, making voting more accessible to ensure all can vote, mail-in ballots, and extending polling hours can help overcome logistical barriers.   Encouraging voter registration and engagement through community outreach and campaigns can also boost participation.

A higher voter turnout is generally seen as a positive outcome in a democracy as it reflects a more engaged and representative electorate. It ensures that the government's decisions are more reflective of the diverse interests and perspectives within society. Therefore I feel, it is important to strive for higher voter turnout.

One might also consider education is undoubtedly a factor in voter turnout. Informed citizens are more likely to participate because they understand the issues at stake and the importance of their vote.  However, some voters may indeed feel disengaged or uninformed, leading them to abstain from voting. Today, some citizens have become apathetic due to the great confusion, and one could call baggage that surrounds candidates, and just choose to not vote.

Impediments to voting, such as concerns about election security or long waiting lines at polling stations, can also inhibit voter participation. It's crucial to address these issues while maintaining the integrity of the electoral process. Valid concerns about election security should be taken seriously and addressed through appropriate measures to maintain public trust in the electoral system. Many states have tweaked their voting laws to try and combat some of the past complaints citizens have had in regard to voting laws.

1. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Thanks! In agreement with pretty much everything you shared. If curious what is happening with the Republican Party of California see next link;

Why California Republicans are facing a moment of truth by Cal Matters (Sept 30, 2023) [Cal Matters is non-partisan & non-profit organization]
        https://calmatters.org/politics/2023/09 … tion-2023/

What was significant to me was the following statement;

"There is one departure from Trump orthodoxy the party is willing to make this year — encouraging Republican voters to take advantage of California’s mail balloting system."

Interesting article. As I read it I thought of my daughter, something she said to me a while back. She lives in Chicago and is a Democrat -- we were discussing the upcoming election, and she was flipped and told me -- I don't need to even vote my guy will win.  Although a few days ago she admitted she would not vote this time around, she claimed she could not vote for Biden, and she admitted she is sharing some of my fears, in regard to the country being on the wrong path.

So, it dawns on me that you need not really vote either due to living in a democratic state. In a way, is that comforting? I mean, you won't need to make the hard choice that could mean holding your nose. You truely could sit it out.  I don't see California ever being anything but a Democratic
          state, do you?

1. tsmog profile image85

I don't know if it will switch from blue to red in the future or not. I remember the days of Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor between 2003–2011. It has been a blue state for twenty-five years. It was considered a red state up to the 1990s. So, change is possible?

As far as my voting there are too many state and local stuff that are important to me not to do my mail-in ballot. Yet, you are right my vote alone is not going to change how the electors (54) will vote for the president. Typically it goes blue with recent history as shared above.

As it stands right now I am voting for Teddy Roosevelt unless Haley makes her way onto the ballot. Teddy represents my ideals and some of my positions like the environment and defense. Aha! A contrast between right and left perspectives.

Edited ( please note that my comment is meant to add a bit of humor, all in good fun to the conversation.) 

I love your individuality!  And Teddy R. is the way to go!  I would guess one could label you as an independent if you are not careful. A group that is growing larger every decade.  I also beleive Haley would make a good president.

1. Credence2 profile image77
                Credence2posted 6 months agoin reply to this

Unrealistic, Teddy Roosevelt lived in a different time and reality. Don't get me wrong, he was a great man and a great leader. But, the country was at a relative state of innocence 125 years ago. I am not sure how he would adapt to the world of 21st Century American politics.

Cred, I don't think you understood the context of my comment. This comment results from an ongoing conversation Tim, and I were having.

SHARLEE01 WROTE:
                  Interesting article. As I read it I thought of my daughter, something she said to me a while back. She lives in Chicago and is a Democrat -- we were discussing the upcoming election, and she was flipped and told me -- I don't need to even vote my guy will win.  Although a few days ago she admitted she would not vote this time around, she claimed she could not vote for Biden, and she admitted she is sharing some of my fears, in regard to the country being on the wrong path.

So, it dawns on me that you need not really vote either due to living in a democratic state. In a way, is that comforting? I mean, you won't need to make the hard choice that could mean holding your nose. You truely could sit it out.  I don't see California ever being anything but a Democratic
                  state, do you?

SMOG WROTE IIN RESPONSE
                  I don't know if it will switch from blue to red in the future or not. I remember the days of Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor between 2003–2011. It has been a blue state for twenty-five years. It was considered a red state up to the 1990s. So, change is possible?

As far as my voting there are too many state and local stuff that are important to me not to do my mail-in ballot. Yet, you are right my vote alone is not going to change how the electors (54) will vote for the president. Typically it goes blue with recent history as shared above.

As it stands right now I am voting for Teddy Roosevelt unless Haley makes her way onto the ballot. Teddy represents my ideals and some of my positions like the environment and defense. Aha! A contrast between right and left perspectives.

My response ---   I love your individuality! And Teddy R. is the way to go. I would guess one could label you as an independent if you were not careful. A group that is growing larger every decade.  I also beleive Haley would make a good president.

Tim was pointing out that at this point he was going to write in Teddy R.  and that TR "Teddy represents my ideals and some of my positions like the environment and defense." 

My response was meant to be comical. Nothing more, just light-hearted and friendly. Read all my words, my context is clear.

Tim appears to be over the choice of choosing between the two candidates that we will most likely face in 2024. I actually think many will write in a candidate's name in 2024.

Just trying to add some levity to a pleasant conversation.

OK...

2. tsmog profile image85

Sharlee, I am registered in California as what they call a No Party Preference. I am very happy with that moniker. Pretty much means I'm an independent voter as I profess to be. The only drawback is:

"Voters who registered to vote without stating a political party preference are known as No Party Preference (NPP) voters.

For presidential primary elections, NPP voters will receive a “nonpartisan” ballot that does not include presidential candidates, as presidential candidates are party-nominated offices.

However, NPP voters may request the ballot of one of the qualified political parties, if that party authorizes NPP voters to vote in their presidential primary election.

The qualified political parties have until October 22, 2023, to notify the Secretary of State’s office if they choose to allow NPP voters to participate in their presidential primary election."

On the topic of my lean, over the years, I have taken different typology quizzes. Some are pretty complex and thorough. Remember the one a few months ago I shared with this topic forum?

Basically, after taking over a half dozen or so I can flip a coin to decide. Some put me smack dab in the center and others a slight lean left or right.

Like the one I shared, it said I am a Civic Observer with a lean toward Democrats specific to Health, Education, and the Environment. Those definitely are concerns of mine, but so is defense and free trade.

Pew Research typology says I am an Ambivalent Right. Another by The Political Compass says for economics I am left and for social I am libertarian. Go figure. But not strongly for both. On the border of the center.

So, again, I am happy being an independent voter . . .

2. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 6 months ago

https://www.salon.com/2023/10/06/fox-ne … dont-work/

Ask conservatives/ Republicans what it means to say that "elections" which is the very definition of democracy, does not work?

I have said for years that conservatives loath elections and the democratic process, the only acceptable alternative for them has to be a tyrannical form of fascism. Will they actually come out and admit it?

1. tsmog profile image85

Wow!! Greg Gutfeld of Fox News ain't very happy, is he? I am not at all ecstatic about the direction he says the country should go. I say bah-humbug! He certainly was chumming the waters of the audience base, wasn't he?

I imagine his tone during the broadcast bordered on being a potty mouth. I don't know. Fortunately, I don't get cable news only seeing local and traditional network talk programs on Sunday mornings as far as politics go.

But, I get nearly twenty newsletters daily in my email box from the media and organizations including education sources. They are from left-center-right media like CNN, Reuters, and FOX. I am exhausted after reading all the headlines ha-ha I pick and choose what article to read while some are buried behind a paywall. Oh yeah, I get a couple of topic selections from The Onion too. 

In my mind democracy and voting nears being a sanctity. I have great faith in the system and process while disagreeing with the sentiment that 2020 was rigged.

I got stuck on his spiel on crime. Coincidentally, just now on the 11 p.m. news for San Diego, California announced crime is down. The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG), a regional planning organization and council of governments said,

"Crime reported in the San Diego region from January to June 2023 was down significantly from the same period last year, with double-digit percentage decreases in homicides, rapes and robberies, according to a study released Thursday."

Further, the released stats are:

** Homicides decreased by 17% from 53 to 44
      ** Rapes declined by 28% from 949 to 679
      ** Robberies decreased 12% from 1,343 to 1,180
      ** Burglaries fell by 17% from 4,001 to 3,334
          Motor vehicle thefts decreased 4% from 5,992 to 5,753

SANDAG’s Mid-Year Crime Report Shows Markedly Fewer Violent and Property Crimes by Times of San Diego on 10/06/23
      https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2023/ … ty-crimes/

Crime in the San Diego Region Mid-Year 2023 by SANDAG Oct 2023 - the full report
      https://www.sandag.org/-/media/SANDAG/D … r-2023.pdf

So, if crime rates have gone down, what is Gutfeld talking about?

It has got to be serious as this kind of talk has not been in the public sphere. Basically, the Right want things their way and the only way to insure that is to do away with elections. Is this the Amerikka that we really want?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)