jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How do you think Fidel Castro's death will effect future relations between Cuba

1. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 15 months ago

How do you think Fidel Castro's death will effect future relations between Cuba and the US?

According to the BBC, Raúl Castro, Fidel's brother and the President of Cuba, confirmed that Fidel had died just after midnight. 'The commander in chief of the Cuban revolution died at 22:29 hours this evening (03:29 GMT Saturday),' President Raul Castro said."

Earlier this year, Fidel Castro was critical of President Obama's visit to Cuba and the restoration of diplomatic relations between Cuba and the United States.  What effect, if any do you foresee Castro's death having on the relations between the two countries?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image60
    Tusitala Tomposted 15 months ago

As it's been bad for the past sixty years or so the chances are it will get better.  As long as the US realizes it's a different nation and not necessarily aligned to US values, things will improve. 

One thing Cuba will have going for it - Tourism!   People already visit as tourists from many parts of the world.  With the USA just across the water, so to speak, the potential for US tourist money to flow in is high.  This should create all manner of jobs and services.

Does America still run Gautanomo Bay?    If it does, it should close that down and get out of Cuba.  It most obviously is a situation which causes resentment; an armed camp in someone's else's country.

But to get back to the question.   The leaders of the Communist Revolution have either died or are very old.  Even their children would be in their fifties and sixties.   It's a new and different world now.   Time to forgive and forget on both sides.

kbdressmanposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, we do still have Guantanamo bay.  That in and of itself is a whole can of worms that I hope is soon part of history instead of current affairs.  I hope you're right and that we see a lot of forgiving and forgetting as we move forward!

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 15 months ago

Frankly I was pretty ignorant of our relationship until reading this question and then researching. I discovered the big step for improving relations is 'Congress' would have to repeal the Helms-Burton Act.

Historically Congress sticks very close to that not hedging away. A main reason is human rights issues. It states "the embargo may not be lifted until Cuba holds free and fair elections and transitions to a democratic government that excludes the Castros." Raul Castro said; "he will leave office (President) in 2018". But, the dictatorship belongs to another office he holds – The Party’s First Secretary. So, maybe cast a wary eye before democracy enters quickly.

Anyway thank you for the inspiration and learning opportunity . . .

While I agree that we shouldn't turn a blind eye to human rights violations, I think it's time for us to realize that those who committed those atrocities are dead and that a hand of fellowship might go farther than the embargo at this point!

4. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 15 months ago

Trump already gave a twitter answer:
    "Fidel Castro is Dead"
    This shows the diplomatic skills of Trump and lack of historical insight. You may or may not agree with the actions taken by Fidel Castro over the years, but as a president and state of a nation a statement like this is simply "simplistic". It shows that Donald Trump, may you agree with him or not, has not the skills that fits the job for the presidency.

The relationship between Cuba and the US was difficult. Cuba had a hard time because of the boycott. Many Cuban people suffered because of it. Some people say that Fidel Castro violated the human rights. This was probably true. But so did the US, so the US has no moral ground for finger pointing this issue.
    The US has no right anyway to dictate other countries how they should govern. Certainly not on a moral grounds. The US tortures and has not a good democratic system itself.
    Before judging others you should first have a look at yourself.
    I think Cuba did pretty well under the conditions it had to live in with all the sanctions that were put upon them. But I'm only saying this from far away. I've never lived in Cuba, so who am I to judge.

A statesman Trump is not. He's embarrassing.  And I agree that we need to stop punishing the Cuban people for things that previous government powers did and stop trying to run other countries!