What does it mean to be politically involved?

1. Matt Christensen profile image60
    Matt Christensenposted 15 months ago

What does it mean to be politically involved?

I find it hard to believe someone is "politically involved" when they post political videos to their Facebook page.  Also going through college, I get tired of hearing my classmates argue about politics; I can hardly consider any of their opinions legitimate.

I feel like a serious obstacle to becoming politically involved is in receiving information.  With today's technology, it's easy to get swamped in data, statistics and "news," all of which may or may (probably not) be true.

So what's a good way to find relevant information, act on it and vote on it to be politically involved?

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

Politically involved includes:
    * voting
    * signing real petitions
    * donating money to candidates
    * fundraising for candidates

Political actions that don't make a difference include liking Facebook pages and other types of virtue signalling. For example, if virtue signalling worked, we wouldn't have terrorist attacks by fundamentalist Muslims despite all the "je suis Charlie" and "we are Nice (France)" images shared. The "bring back our girls" hash tag did nothing to rescue kidnapped Christian girls taken and raped by the Boko Haram.
    Too many people engage in virtue signalling to gain social approval and think it is action, but it doesn't make a difference. In fact, many charities and political groups complain that they'll get a million likes but see not one extra dollar donated. Raising awareness does very little, though rare cases like the Ice Bucket Challenge raising a few million do exist.

3. Warren Curtis profile image78
    Warren Curtisposted 15 months ago

I agree with Tamara, but would disagree on awareness. Awareness is very important when it comes to being politically involved. Indeed, it is the base of each of the issues that she points to as being politically involved. Being educated on what is happening and who is running is being politically involved. Without this knowledge you are just another cog in the sea of political stupidity.