jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why do so many of the protesters in the Women's March embrace the hijab and shar

1. CJWood71 profile image85
    CJWood71posted 14 months ago

Why do so many of the protesters in the Women's March embrace the hijab and sharia law?

I understand that, to a certain degree, it is intended to show solidarity with others whom they feel will be marginalized under a Trump administration. However, given that many of the rights they are fighting for are forbidden under sharia law, it seems a bit odd. This is not intended to be a heated political debate, rather an attempt to simply understand. Any thoughts on this?

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 14 months ago

Denial of how Islam oppresses women from the many nations where it is illegal women to NOT wear to hijab to jailing of rape victims to legalized child marriage and spousal abuse to FGM being tolerated.
    The liberals are so afraid of the boogeyman of a Christian theocracy (A Handmaid's Tale is a classic vision of their fear) that they ignore REAL Islamic theocracies from Saudi Arabia and Iran to Boko Haram and ISIS.
    So you get privileged women in the West protesting slavery 150 years ago but ignoring ISIS sex slaves in 2017, complaining that they don't want to pay for their own birth control while many Muslim women are killed annually for choosing their own husband or leaving an abusive one.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
      bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months agoin reply to this

good points.

3. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 14 months ago

I think it's important to make a distinction between Islam and Sharia Law, first of all.

Most Islamic countries actually aren't under full Sharia Law and don't care to adopt it.

I support religious freedom, and I support women who choose to wear a hijab, niqab, or burka as a symbol of their faith.  Key word being "choose".   This does not mean that I "embrace" Sharia Law - at least not in its full form.  Again, if a woman should *choose* that she wants to deal with personal status issues under Sharia Law then I believe that is her choice to make.

Do I agree with Sharia Law imposed on women?  No, certainly not.  Do I agree with women making their own choices based on their faith?  Yes, absolutely.