jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How many terrorist attacks were perpetrated since Sep. 2014 on the world?

1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 14 months ago

How many terrorist attacks were perpetrated since Sep. 2014 on the world?

Just curious if the public is aware of these minor and major attacks...

2. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 14 months ago

Now please someone correct me if I am wrong here. I understood that for a large part the press played down terrorist attacks at the bequest of POTUS then. A concept kind of exposed dealing with Benghazi. I cannot rate it right of wrong, but I think we did not get the daily reports.
    I often wonder if Cat Stevens caused death to innocents.
    Hundreds on hundreds were perpetrated just in the last two years - 2014 even more.
    But not as many deaths as the shootings in Detroit and drunk or distracted drivers and colon cancer.
    Interesting concepts.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Are you drawing inference between terrorist deaths to accidents, gang violence and cancer deaths?
      I am confused... Is the number of casualties in each case relevant to this discussion?
      To me, even one death as a result of terrorism is one too many.

2. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Yes Jack, I do think it relevant to perspective. Your concern over the amount of terrorism is fully correct but not to the point of losing perspective.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 14 months ago

I am not sure of the inferences that can be drawn from an answer nor intent and motive of the question. Or course it will depend on sources and the criteria used to deem what a terrorist organization is and what an incident is. Using Wiki as a source and others to verify the answer for the 'Questions' journey is for worldwide:

2014 - 265
    2015 - 404
    2016 - 1,813
    2017 - 160
    Total - 2,642

But, that does not paint the picture. It only is the paint used if you get the drift. There is today according to our State Dept. 251 'Foreign' terrorist organizations. Most are at odds with their state governments and/or are separatists groups. An example is from 2013 where Europol reported there were 152 terrorist attacks in Europe. Only two were religiously motived. Eighty-four were conducted by ethno-nationalist & separatist groups. As a side note try researching U.S. domestic terrorist activity.

One source shares there were 31 terrorist incidents in the U.S. beginning with 2014. A complete list beginning 1865 can be found here:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

So, as seen with this small portion of a snap-shot terrorism is much more complex than the blankets we tend to use. Yes, terrorism is significant in my view. Yes, religiously motivated Islamic extremist terrorism with its history and activity is significant. But, when researched especially historically terrorism is very vast with many variables. We may even take it to the extreme that a playground bully is a terrorist can't we?

4. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 14 months ago

My only point in asking the question is to bring awareness to the public. The media has been down playing terrorism for a long time. The Obama admin. Has also been mischaractering some such as the Fort Hood shoots as work place violence...
    Islamic extremist terrorism is a real problem. We need to deal with it seriously and not just contain ISIS.

Closed to reply

working