jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Does Bystander-Apathy still exist? If so, why do we have the "None of my busine

1. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image95
    Gina Welds-Hulseposted 13 months ago

Does Bystander-Apathy still exist?  If so, why do we have the "None of my business" attitude?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 13 months ago

I imagine bystander apathy will always exists to some extent but in the digital cell phone age there's also a greater chance of someone calling 911 or posting a helpful video clip these days.
    The so called "None of my business" attitude is probably related to the "No good deed goes unpunished" or "Snitches get stitches" mindset. Most people want to be left alone or out of it.
    They might consider anonymous aid if there's a "tip line".

3. Ericdierker profile image55
    Ericdierkerposted 13 months ago

Maybe that is a geographic deal. Out and down here everybody gives a darn about everything. A little less than optimum on the PTA area. Maybe we could have a few more pick up random trash. Of course driving right is a bit of a problem.
    Homeless are approached and given to. Small children are protected. Obvious criminals are reported or approached. Police are supported and monitored. Our environment is better than 5 years ago. We are constantly going after politicians. There are abundance of people acting the good samaritan. We really do report drunk driving. Even meth houses are reported and gang hangouts get shut down. The last two cars I saw stranded there was obviously someone who pulled over.

Interesting concept. I will pay more attention.

1. Ericdierker profile image55
      Ericdierkerposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Thank you much.

4. RoadMonkey profile image87
    RoadMonkeyposted 13 months ago

I understand that it may be that bystander apathy comes into play when there are a lot of people around and everyone thinks that someone else will do something about it. One book suggested that if you are having a heart attack, for instance, you pick out someone, say in a red jacket, and specifically ask them to call medical aid.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 12 months ago

When it is a crime, bystanders have been proven to stand aside and do nothing out of fear of being harmed or feel like recording it IS assisting the person.