Should the government do more for the street kids?

1. Lynn Voget Weston profile image61
    Lynn Voget Westonposted 12 months ago

Should the government do more for the street kids?

Many a time I am on my way to work and I see all these kids sleeping on the streets, Its shameful and embarrassing. Doesn't  their parents care?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 months ago

A lot of them are estranged from their parents, for many different reasons. Perhaps they were gay, and the parents couldn't accept them, or a girl got pregnant and the parents threw her out.

Sometimes a kid gets in a lot of trouble, like drugs, jail, fights. The parents have their own problems and get fed up with the constant chaos. Then, after they've run away, the kids don't feel like they can call the parents for help.

Some were abused as kids. They ran away from something they think is worse than what they have now.

Some just don't have parents. Their parents are dead or in jail. Once they age out of the foster system (at age 18) there is not much of a support system for them.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 12 months ago

There are many homeless shelters, housing assistance programs, supportive housing programs for disabled vets, disabled adults, the mentally ill in halfway houses.
    If an adult is homeless, it is because they either haven't been linked to these resources by a nonprofit or social worker or they refuse to follow the rules of those programs (no drugs, no drinking, no criminal behavior).
    For children, there ARE many programs from foster care to Boys Town equivalents around the nation to boot camps to reform the severely troubled. If a youth is under 18 and not in one of those programs, they are trying to live without supervision or obligations to obey the rules, or in some cases, the social workers failed to act upon abuse and neglect so the child ignores any assistance and goes out on their own instead.