What's the most controversial subject or question in the world today?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image92
    RJ Schwartzposted 16 months ago

What's the most controversial subject or question in the world today?

Seriously, with the myriad number of ways people today get offended, I'm curious to know what area offends people the most.  Is it about religion, life after death, aliens, drugs, torture, war, or something else?  I once questioned the Christian Bible calling it just a book written by a bunch of controlling white men - and the backlash was epic. 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13555700_f260.jpg

2. gregas profile image80
    gregasposted 16 months ago

Trump, even though he shouldn't be.

3. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 16 months ago

For me it is inequality and the unfair distribution of wealth. The gap just continues to rise and some of the most impoverished nations have the wealthiest rulers.

4. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 16 months ago

RJ....How many raisins in a family-sized box of Post Raisin Bran cereal?

Does this give any indication as to how totally tired, worn, frustrated and overwhelmed I am?~~finally at this point after the past year + of ALL the rif-raf, fighting, screaming, protesting, mud-slinging. Fake news, investigations, special prosecutors, lies, tapes and emails.  Oh for the love of Pete. I need to know how anyone can even stand a minute more of it?
    How many more questions on the same topic for the same reasons being asked again and again?  People fighting, arguing, insulting the parties, politicians, pundits and every day people.  It's like someone put drugs in the punch.
    "Lock her up" (I agree)  IMPEACH Trump!  Hillary the corrupt one with her long long laundry list of why she lost the election.  What the hell is her lying face doing on the screen anyway?  Has she no shame? She lost the F___ing election because she's a thief, a Liar, phony, diseased old bag whose day in the sun is O-V-E-R....done, finished...gone...DEAD,
    Arabs....China,,,Russia and Russia and RUSSIA!!
    There are at the very least a thousand controversial issues and questions that could, should and maybe will be addressed some day some how by someone....But I'll be damned if I have the strength, stamina or chutzpah at this precise moment to even approach anything more controversial than we face every single day. The rest of you, please have at it. Can we maybe let this die down to a dull roar for a while?  Can we see what the big vital investigations find?
    Kathy Griffin and her bloody head....some people congratulating her...some horrified. I need a long silent moment.
    Now, Ralph, what was your question again?

5. ValKaras profile image85
    ValKarasposted 16 months ago

Folks who are the quickest to be offended are those who are heavily identifying themselves with a label---be it social, political, religious, ethnical, or racial. You almost can't offend those who know who they are, who feel comfortable about it, and who don't bring their label into a social arena like a toreador brings his red cape to tease a bull.

At one extreme of the social emotional scale are those who are in love---they just don't give a damn about anything, while being too emotionally committed to many facets of their love. At the other extreme are those emotionally impoverished folks--- we could say those who don't really have a life of their own, so they want to live everyone else's, like the whole nation's, or whole political party's, or religion's, or race's. There is that nagging need in them to exteriorize some of that inner conflict with themselves. Well, an outer enemy somehow always feels better.

It's very individual why and how those folks manage to alienate themselves so much from themselves, and go almost hysterical about things that are beyond their control. In short, they hurt, for a bunch of very intimate reasons. They have so much to "prove", so much to "defy", so much to "debunk"---always in a state of a conflict, always with their guards on.

All in all, it's hard to generalize what pisses people off the most. Well, being human seems to be too much of the task for some.

Then they eventually get exhausted, adrenalin and cortisol subside and beer starts tasting good again at those football TV events. Now, all that practice of 4-letter-words and name-calling comes handy at the first sign of the opponents' winning.

Nothing, absolutely nothing changes for them---they merely shifted their identity to another in the short list of their labels, and it feels just fine, as long as they don't have to face themselves.

But then, of course, I could also be wrong about all this. Why not? I am not at war with myself, and it's O.K. to be wrong.

6. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 16 months ago

Are we alone? In the vast universe, every astronomer believes that intelligent life is out there. Just a matter of finding them, hence SETI.
    The debate among the people is whether we are a creation of God or Aliens or a product of evolution...
    I do believe we will have an answer soon.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image92
      RJ Schwartzposted 16 months agoin reply to this

A most interesting topic indeed - my son and I debate evolution often

7. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 16 months ago

I think worldwide politics is the most controversial subject. The most controversial question is who the leader should be. As far as what offends people most it is someone contesting someone's belief. Or, at least causes the most discomfort.

8. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 16 months ago

Yes, my Dear Brother.

This happened because consciously or unconsciously, you were making some uncomfortable. The psychology of defense is natural to all. We protect ourselves in the best way we can.

Politics and Religion are devisive subjects. For some people, they thrive on discussion as it not only feeds the mind but this happens to be where they are at. For others, they wish to do the same thing, but find the tit-for-tat of the opposing force more forceful, threatening.

The third bunch is most, or all of us. Anything that threatens our peace will make us uncomfortable, insecure, unsettled. There are those also who are and live in a very narrow space. They cannot see any larger and will fight you to death. Much of this attitude led to and is still leading today to the death of some Seers or good people.

We are basically afraid, unhappy, in pain,looking for a way out but while wishing to swim, are still afraid to get into the water. How will we swim?

Love you, my Brother. I find you a very interesting person. Usually most use either the mind , emotions or Heart. But you seem to be able to switch when necessary. An awesome trait to have. Much Love.

9. Klorelis9973 profile image61
    Klorelis9973posted 16 months ago

God is not death, we are ALL a part of God.
    God have made us in his image this means that God is inside each and everyone of us.

God is in my opinion not a man on a throne but a energy that connect with us and speak to us in many ways and langues.

I believe that the Bible is partly writing by hearts and partly writing by ego's
    Not only the Holy Bible but all holy books are writing in this way.

The problem is, when a human read with the ego he can not truly understand what it all means. But when we lock the ego or mute it, tame it we will understand the true meaning from these books.

God is the energy from unconditional love, love is the energy from the deceiver Satan.

Just simple earth love is not the love God wants us to connect with each other.
    Because in earth love we are poisoned and want to change our love ones until the one is perfect in the molding hands of ego.

Unconditional love is forever it will always keep the balance and the connection with each and everyone of us once we know what the difference is between love and unconditional love.

Once i have hear God very clear in my mind. God told me that he can destroy evil on earth. But he can only do this when money and ego are gone from this planet.

Ego separated who we are it judge about ourselves and others. Ego create labels because we think we are stronger when we are labeled as straight,gay,bisexsual- riche and poor etc etc

We are all one in the eyes of God even the most twisted and sick humans on this planet God loves them.  But we have receive a own freedom of choice to be good or bad.

God can only hold down evil when we all have learn what ego is and what who we are inside our heart.   In our heart we do not want money we do not want that others have less then us.

God have promise to Noah to never destroy humanity again. And now we see what this have done to humanity we living now in the hands of Satan everyday.

How can a blind or deaf man defeat Satan when the people who are seeing and hearing the truth are just a view thousand?

God is not death, because you are alive.
    God is aware about every action and thought you make before you think about it.

God will bring people together because with our brothers and sisters on this planet he can speak and react directly to you.

I rather die today in the hands of God.
    Then living years on earth in the hands of Satan.

God is alive, Satan is alive and demons are alive.

We must wash our eyes and clean our ears to hear God

10. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

When will the West admit Islamic terrorism is based on Islam?

It is per the latter 2/3 of the Koran that abrogates the earlier peaceful verses, the deeds of the founder held up as perfect by the Koran, the teachings of many mosques and 1400 years of history where Muslims kill non-Muslims, other Muslim sects and moderates in their midst per the Koran's words not to tolerate an unbeliever unless paying massive taxes and systematically oppressed per Shariah law.

11. profile image55
    peter565posted 16 months ago

We frequently say Islam is problematic and thus have Islamic fanatics. But the truth is, Christianity is just as problematic, in fact, if we compare the Koran and the Bible, the Bible is even worse. And in history, there have been Christian versioin of ISIS and Taliban, it is call the crusades and inquisition. And despite Christian fanatic militia have now been destroy, Christian fanatics still very much exist, only now, they have to settle for going on angry protest saying "God hate fags" and government lobbying, rather then open revolt, like what ISIS and Taliban is doing or like what they use to do, during the middle ages.

In comparison to me, your view on the bible is still gentle. Many people have more radical view, including myself. For example, take a look at this blog I have

http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … prove.html
    http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … cifer.html
    http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … lways.html
    http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … -anti.html
    http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … te-of.html
    http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … never.html
    http://abandonyahweh.blogspot.com/2017/ … e-god.html

12. toradrake profile image82
    toradrakeposted 15 months ago

From my experience, the quicker and more vehemently someone defends something typically indicates their own doubts an disbelief. They want to believe but offering a different idea on a subject can cause discord in the persons on ideals and in a way...makes them feel as if they are being attacked.

Religion is the biggest for this. If you challenge their faith and the existence of God they go on the defense mode. Belief in a higher power can be a bit shaky and many struggle with their faith. So naturally, any idea that can make them doubt what they believe is an intrusion.

13. Bildad Hawi profile image64
    Bildad Hawiposted 15 months ago

It would be immigration. Political careers have been shaped around that topic and foreign policies have been directed at either granting asylum or redirecting refugees. Social adjustment , moral dilemma regarding teachings on the golden rule, economic impact on host nation and political debates between liberals and conservatives around the subject has surely redefined how we are supposed to perceive people who are culturally, geographically and physically different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)