jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

What do you think of Umar Johnson's belief that you can't be both for Civil Righ

1. bluesradio profile image75
    bluesradioposted 7 months ago

What do you think of Umar Johnson's belief that you can't be both for Civil Rights and Date Whites?

2. profile image86
    Mills Pposted 7 months ago

I do not agree with Johnson's opinion. We have to keep the fight for Civil Rights moving forward - and any form of segregation works against that goal. It's not always easy to reach across color lines, but many Americans don't think twice about doing just that. We probably won't hear about people like this because they will treat a love of person who does not share their skin color as unimportant and mundane - and absolutely proper of the feelings are shared . Unfortunately, many Americans stick with what they know, and these attirudes lead to the cynicism expressed by Johnson.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 7 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13620449_f260.jpg

I would say that's nonsense!
    Frederick Douglas married a white woman (Helen Pitts) in 1884.
    Douglas was an African-American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and statesman. After escaping from slavery in Maryland, he became a national leader of the abolitionist movement in Massachusetts and New York.
    Who one dates, falls in love with, and marries is their (personal) life. Umar Johnson is no Frederick Douglas!

1. Ericdierker profile image57
      Ericdierkerposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I believe they stayed married until his death in '95. And of course it is believed he is the son of a "White Master". We really have to wonder who is "pure" anything. So which racial part of anyone joins with what racial part of another?

2. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Eric, did Douglass and his wife have children? Umar Johnson claims to be a direct descendant of Frederick Douglass, but the stories I read say that there is no genealogical evidence to support that claim.

3. Ericdierker profile image57

To my understanding 5 children - one died young. 2 helped publish his North Star. Interestingly, the children were opposed to his marriage to a white woman - Pitts. He was known to mess around so there may be more. Different times, maybe.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Excellent points Eric. Since Douglas was a slave and the so called "one drop rule" was considered the law anyone with a drop of African blood was considered black in those days. My point is his marriage to a white woman made him no less pro c.r.

5. Ericdierker profile image57

Bailey/Douglass seemed to confer with but civilly disagree with both Lincoln and Jefferson. To my understanding his white wife was far more radical and less of a statesman. Since I never bought into the one drop rule I think of Obama as 1/2 & 1/2

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I never bought into the "one drop" rule either. However I do believe if Obama had been around in the 1800s he too would not have been allowed equal privileges compared to those of 100% European decent. Back then the word bi-racial didn't exit.

7. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Me either. Thanks Eric and Dashing for your helpful comments. No, Mr. Obama would never have been president in the 1800s, but maybe he would have discovered a cure for cancer or something like that.

8. Ericdierker profile image57

I believe that Douglass was a Vice Presidential candidate. Kind of drafted and nominated without consent. And it seems it was a lady presidential candidate on the ticket - Victoria something. I don't recall the party - maybe Freedom something. Reform

working