This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Should Home Owners have the right to grow vegetable gardens in their yards?

1. Ken Burgess profile image89
    Ken Burgessposted 6 months ago

Should Home Owners have the right to grow vegetable gardens in their yards?

In Florida, a couple who started a garden in their front yard was told by the local government that they had to remove it, as it was deemed unsightly, they fought in court, and have lost repeatedly with Judges siding with the local government's right to determine what is aesthetic, and what can be done with your property.  Below is a link to the article describing this matter in more detail, what are your thoughts?  https://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/11/fl … rdens.html 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13784081_f260.jpg

2. Brinafr3sh profile image80
    Brinafr3shposted 6 months ago

Yes home owners should have rights to grow food, it's their own property. The government don't want people to grow there own food because people would most-likely reduce their shopping time for food in stores. They want us to continue buying the cloned and hormonal foods that they sell.

Ken Burgessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I agree, I think considering it wasn't obscene, it wasn't garbage, at worst they should have been asked to keep it neat & orderly or fenced off... this is an infringement on their liberty, or so it seems to me.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 6 months ago

I just had a conversation with our city inspector about my front yard, which doesn't comply to the usual "lawn with shrubs" model of the rest of the neighborhood. As far as he's concerned, as long as whatever I'm growing is kept off the curb and the sidewalk, and neat, he doesn't care what it is---which is as it should be. The city doesn't care if I landscape with azaleas or oregano, as long as I keep it off the public space.

Ken Burgessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Smart, I wonder if this is something that one should ask permission from the local zoning board or whatever local enforcement authority happens to have authority.  Like when one gets a permit to rehab part of the home...

2. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I'm lucky to live in an older area, with no HOA, in a small enough that my city inspector drives down the street every couple of weeks, and will pull over and talk if I wave hello. Having a chat is much easier than going to court.

Closed to reply

working