jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

If The Don told the DOJ

1. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 2 months ago

If The Don told the DOJ

If The Don told the DOJ to block AT&T from buying CNN after failing to use the merger to change CCN coverage of himself, then is that a a clear-cut abuse of Presidential Power?

AT&T CEO Stephenson was adamant that he won't agree to sell CNN to placate Trump.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13792951_f260.jpg

2. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 2 months ago

This is interesting enough to dig into it a bit deeper. But I just could not get over my bias. I hate anything close to monopolies. I hate a Telecom becoming "to big to fail".
    Mergers, acquisition and arbitrage get me all edgy.
    So then I looked to motivations of all three parties. AT&T is just into for stock reasons and more control over the extended industry/market. CNN is failing and needs a corporate bail out.
    DOJ most often blocks mergers until assurances are hammered out especially one of this size.and a buyout is the most suspicious characters of all. I would look more carefully at the SEC. Those guys could definitely block this with good reason.
    To my understanding AT&T is not using cash reserves to make this deal but are leveraging assets which could very seriously harm investors.
    Hate him or love him the Chief executive of the USA can block mergers for whatever he feels is best for the country.
    For me, I think CNN should stay independent because a buyout may effect CNN's liberal bent more toward the middle in order to increase it's viability. I think they need to stay the course.

1. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 2 months agoin reply to this

good answer, but I think this is a vertical merger.

2. Ericdierker profile image56
      Ericdierkerposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Maybe. So AT&T is at the communications provider lever and CNN a content provide levels? And they do not now compete with each other?
      Perhaps the perfect kind of case for judicial determination.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 months ago

The last thing we need is a bigger ATT. CNN should die its lonely spiraling death. It should take down the other so called NEWs services. There is nothing newsworthy on any of them today.

working