New NFL Rule , Stand at Anthem or Sit in Locker Room ?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

It's about time !     One positive aspect of either deliberate or non-deliberate boycotting ?

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great, so if the players choose not to participate in the anthem at all (all of them) by staying the locker rooms that is OK for you as a compromise?

Rightwingers should be happy with that....

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is not "compromise " it is showing basic respect for al majority ofother people , Can't do it ?     Stay away from the ceremony.
        Can't do that - pay the fine .
        Pretty simple.

Suggestion ; get over it .

When protesting the players simply won't be there for the anthem, but their absence is a form of non-compliance and as small minded as rightwingers are, it will stick in their craw.

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I would take it as a very strong statement that the players in the locker room do not respect our flag, our anthem or the nation for which they stand.  Bad enough to show disrespect and then say "It was not disrespect; I just wanted that particular time slot to protest", but when they refuse to recognize our flag at all, well, it says a lot more about what it was actually about.  The nation that has given them so much, they will turn their backs on and figuratively spit on.

Recognizing that there are a few bad apples in every bag, I will likely watch football this year, after a year without turning it on.  Unless the numbers of "disrepecting" players becomes large enough to put their attitude onto the team as a whole.

But at least no one can see the protest and be "offended" by players not standing respectfully in public during the anthem. Like Pense said, is that not a win?

bringing attention to certain issues is not akin to hating the country. I live here as well, but it does not mean that I don' t have my beefs and concern about how this things are perceived and being done.

"bringing attention to certain issues is not akin to hating the country."

Unless that "issue" is respect for the country - at that point the question of hating the country that supplies us with "life liberty and pursuit of happiness" most definitely comes into being.

I don't know about a "win", but it is certainly an improvement over raw disrespect in order to get media attention.

Are you not satisfied with this outcome? As I said our "realities" are quite different, many of us are not always eternally grateful and full of effervescent praise regarding this society.

Sure!  I said I would once more turn on a football game...unless the number of players intentionally disrespecting our country becomes large enough to "incriminate" a whole team.

(Went to a high school graduation ceremony last night.  The anthem was played while the flag was marched in by a color guard.  Not a single person I was took that short period to turn their back, to kneel in disgust, to disrespect our country.  Not a single person decided that media attention was more important than their respect for the country that produced 300 graduates.  With the only exceptions being a couple of 2-year olds in the front row that played on the floor.)

2. profile image0

But when that protest for whatever reason affects the profit margin of the  business -- of the NFL-- , The NFL owners can then alter that opportunity to "protest ", like any business that demands accountability of its employees.
                    I guess only the likes of public servants , government employees who're never accountable for their tenured behavior and related performance can get away with affecting "business profits" ?

I'm not surprised some people don't get this .

2. GA Anderson profile image88
                  GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Wilderness, I am wondering if I am misunderstanding your point. I don't think respect has to be unconditional to still be respect. It sounds more like you are saying the object of respect can do no wrong.

I am missing the connection between disrespect and hating also -- for the same reason. I like the new rule. The players still get to convey their message, just not in such an in-your-face way.

GA

It's not a lack of respect that bothers me; it is active disrespect.  It's the message "I don't like you and shall not acknowledge any good in you".  A protest says "I see something wrong we should work on", but that's not the message I get from disrespecting our country.

I rather like it (the new rule) as well.  It says the same thing, admittedly, but it is not so in-your-face about it.  It can be more easily ignored.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

I think a more distinct message should have been sent, such as 'protest off the clock'. This particular item, as presented on the site I read it, seems petty and intrusive. If it doesn't specifically reference the over reaching problem with the action, it appears to simply address the action,itself. So, if other protests aren't specifically prohibited I don't see how this one can be.

I find kneeling during the anthem as offensive as the next person, but if you allow protests on the field in other forms I find banning this form,only, as problematic.

1. profile image0

You're avoiding the interfering in the economics of a corporate entity ,  NFL is a business , not a public opinion column .   Do you think it would be okay to stop a commuter train on the tracks and protest " I hate trains " ?  Would it be okay then to march out into  LAX stopping the traffic and protesting mass pollution without courtroom antics  ?

I think the NFL is saying ,Call your congressman [woman ] , write an opinion column , sent a check to PETA , or Greenpeace but stay out of ours and everyone else's pockets .

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Avoiding interfering in the economics of a corporation? How so?  My opinion is that protests, of any kind, are not appropriate during work hours. I wouldn't get paid if I made a public protest while working. Why should they? They step onto the field as representatives of the company they work for. They should, during that time, represent the corporations they work for. Not use the venue to stand on their individual soap box.

So, again, what part of my comment went over your head? I don't see my position as advocating standing in front of trains, planes, automobiles, charging lions or landing aliens. Unless, you do it during non work hours.

1. profile image0

No , we actually agree ! I say they ARE interfering in the running of the business end of the NFL ,  If they are getting paid a salary for playing Football and performing as paid , they are obviously hurting the profit , why else other than  the drop in "business "  do you believe the Corporate NFL is laying down the law ?   In other words they are hurting the profit lines protesting , then players should suffer the consequences . It's the same as a surley store clerk chasing customers out the door at the hardware store , fire him if it persists ?

Take a knee in the parking lot after the game time .

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Bottom line and from the very beginning ,Fact -  If you cannot  own enough basic humility , respect for others , understanding of others , to respect the standing for the national anthem  ?
    Then you don't earn the same from others for YOUR causes .

THAT is where the left forfeits all respect from others , once it was the national anthem that was the glue that joined,  not the separator .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)