NFL protests during national anthem...

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

Do you agree or disagree with these athletes who decided to protest by taking a knee during the playing of the National Anthem?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Highly disagree.  When you start your protest by disrespecting the nation and being as offensive as possible your message is lost.  And flipping through facebook posts on the matter I see perhaps 20% concern free speech, 10% concern the discrimination being protested and 70% concerns the offensiveness of the action.  That's what happens when your shock tactic is too offensive and it all backfires on you - 90% of respondents no longer care about what you have to say.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think the NFL will respond to $$$. When their bottom line starts to show red, they will get wise and crack down on these protests.

I suspect that's all too true.  And I also suspect that it WILL fall.

2. Aime F profile image71
          Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Countless NFL players have been:
          -arrested for domestic violence
          -accused of sexual assault and rape
          -charged with DUIs and other drug related offenses

But it's kneeling during the anthem that's gonna make people stop watching? Screw that fake morality and righteousness.

And I think the fact that people are absolutely horrified and find this "as offensive as possible" highlights exactly how priveleged and oblivious you all are. Please tell me how someone not standing during the national anthem at a sporting event affects your day to day life. Please tell me how that makes you feel so personally harmed that you think nothing could possibly be more offensive.

Do you prefer riots? No, obviously not. Do you prefer peaceful protests? Nope, they make traffic kinda busy and stuff. Do you prefer that people who face problems that you can't understand just shut up about it because you're so fragile that you can't stand to be a little bit uncomfortable for 30 seconds? Yeah, probably.

Look, your country prides itself on a long history of fighting for freedom and that freedom includes choosing what position to take during an anthem. No laws were broken, no one was hurt, nothing was damaged. You start cracking down on protest because you've arbitrarily deemed not standing during the anthem to be some sort of punishable offence and you're compromising the very freedoms that your flag and anthem stand for, and if you don't see the irony in that well then I just don't know what to tell ya.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I guess you just don't get it. Taking pride in one's country and the flag and the anthem are all part of the makeup of our country and heritage.
            You are correct no one is harmed by it. But then again, no one have to watch or pay tickets to see a game. There are plenty of other entertainment venues.

What are they protesting? And could they send a better message? By doing some charity work or donating to some cause?

There is a time and place for everything...
            Most people are not political and they certainly don't want to see this in their leisure activity.
            IMHO.

2. Live to Learn profile image59
            Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No laws were broken.That's true.. No laws would be  broken, either, by a boycott of the NFL.  I stand for their right to free speech but I don't think this action is indicative of using free speech in such a manner that I should, through the expenditure of time or money, support.

It's funny that I see statements by some within BLM claim 'white' people should give them their homes and their inheritances  when most 'whites' are struggling as much as anyone else; but, people who make millions of dollars for playing a sport can simply kneel down and suddenly they are heroes. I say, if they want to make a statement, do exactly what poor and middle class people are asked to do. Give up their privilege. Divest themselves of their assets to assist poor families of color. That would be more heroic.

Theirs is an empty statement, void of any real sacrifice and effort.

1. colorfulone profile image79
              colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it.  Reminds me of the insight John Rappoport shared yesterday.

Open letter to NFL players: you’re being used
              https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2017 … eing-used/

Did you know the NFL was started by the Mafia?  Yeah, they use to brag about being controlled by the Mafia, but realized they needed to change their image.

3. wilderness profile image96

Yes, they have a right to do what they're doing...tempered with the fact that it IS on private ground, at a function funded by someone else.  As long as those owners allow it they have a perfect right to exhibit their displeasure.

And I have a perfect right to express my displeasure of their offensive actions.

2. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think this is a situation where two sides feel passionately about a topic but different topics. One side believes they have a right to protest and take a knee during the national anthem. They believe all people in the military sacrificed for them to do this. The other side believes over paid spoiled athletes are disrespecting our national symbol and don't care what the other side is saying. They find them disrespectful and can't get past this blatant forms of disrespect of our nations and people in the military who sacrificed so much.  Me, I say if these issues are so important to you, why not do it on your own time?  Why take advantage of your employer and insult a huge portion of your fan base? If these issues were so important, these over paid spoiled athletes would be working on it on their own time. But, it's obvious this is not that important to them. They don't want to resolve issues. These over paid spoiled athletes just want attention.  That's it. So now they have attention, they don't resolve any issues, but they have attention.  I did not purchase season tickets this year and canceled ESPN. I have friends who will boo every time the team is announced and are ready to throw food at those who take a knee. I think over paid spoiled athletes need to understand they are not the only ones with first amendment rights.

3. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I stand with the 96% who "get it".

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13718412.jpg

4. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi jackclee, I bet we will see some fireworks with this one. ;-)

I disagree with the participating athletes; not because I find their kneeling offensive. but because I think their choice of method steals the spotlight intended for their message.

Look at the comments here and elsewhere; folks aren't talking about the message - they are talking about the method. It's like smacking your mother to get you to listen to something I want you to hear.

I think it can be compared to the effects of violent protests vs. peaceful protests. A violent protest only generates condemnation of its violence - who cares why they are protesting, "Look at what they did!", where as a peaceful protest at least prompts the question of why they are protesting.

I am not hearing many questions about "why" these athletes are protesting, but I am hearing a ton of discussions about their method. Yes, they got our attention, but not in a way favorable to their message.

My opinion is that this protest is as misguided as I see the BLM movement to be.

GA

5. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Okay, here is a question. What would happen if NFL players came onto the field waving Virginia Battle Flags otherwise known as the stars and bars?  They would be expressing freedom of speech and they've shown, it should not matter who is upset by their protest.  It could be a protest for free speech rights in America.  I don't think it would happen.  They would have to have some sort of benefit or positive attention to do this and I don't see that happening.

6. Shawn McIntyre profile image82
      Shawn McIntyreposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with calling it protesting. It's lazy, noncommittal virtue signaling and just this side of a temper tantrum. It's cowardly and pathetic, especially given that there is a much more powerful- and much more obvious alternative available to them.

If these players honestly cared at all about police brutality- which is ostensibly what they're all protesting, then all it would take is for them to put out a statement saying that: "Until Congress begins taking steps to require body cameras nationwide, we're not going to play." If they did that, not only would we be having a much different conversation in this country right now, but you'd have football fans from coast to coast calling their Senators and Representatives and telling them to get off their ass and do something. 

But you and I both know that the players will never do that because that would actually require sacrifice on their part. It would require them to put their money where their mouth is and actually do something. Everyone's got principles when there's nothing on the line, but when you actually have to suffer for them that's when you find out where your convictions really lie.

2. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

The idea that the players who choose to kneel are insulting something is obnoxious. By kneeling, screaming, turning their backs, remaining in the locker room, or burning the flag, every action is, ironically, displaying immense respect for our nation because we are one of the few nations where you can do such things.

If you live in North Korea and protest, you're jailed for life or shot. Probably the same thing in Iran and lots of other countries.

Should we be more like North Korea and just shoot these guys? How should we punish them for displaying their opinions exactly? Should they be fired? Should they be jailed? Put in work camps?

Certainly, people can disagree with what they're doing and we should discuss it, but to call it offensive is the opposite of our country's values. Fact is, non-whites, and particularly African-Americans, have a profoundly different experience of living in the U.S. than white people. And if they feel that kneeling during the national anthem is a way to bring attention to issues they find important, more power to them. That people are actually angry about this is humorous. Angry? Stop watching football. Aime is correct, these guys rape somebody and hardly an eyelash is batted. Beat their wives? Nobody much cares. Father children by 20 different women. Crickets. Grab some pussy...

Personally, I'd like to see them boycott a game or two and see what happens.

Interesting take, except for one thing.  Very, very few of the people finding the action offensive are suggesting that they not be permitted to do it (given that the owners of their "stage" permit it).

In other words, they support the right to perform what they consider an offensive action, but also reserve the right to their own comments.  Sounds like you're saying that only the players have rights!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)