What is your view on the 'fat acceptance' movement?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Mea Hera profile image91
    Mea Heraposted 2 years ago

I understand the importance of promoting self-confidence and acceptance throughout the society for people of all shapes and sizes. No one should be bullied or judged due to their appearance.

But i have also heard people arguing that this movement promotes obesity and unhealthy life styles. Some say that it's ok to be chubby, but certainly not ok to be obese up to a point where your health is compromised.

What do you think about this movement? In your opinion, is it doing more good or bad to the society?
    https://hubstatic.com/14207545.jpg

1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think you bring up a good point that no one should be bullied or judged for their physical appearance but also that we shouldn't promote being severely overweight as an acceptable life style, purely based on the health risks to the individuals.  I personally like women with curves, hips, breasts, and a full face, but that's just me.  It's hard to snuggle up to a stick figure...he he he

As a society, we've accepted too many potentially dangerous or unhealthy behaviors and stopped trying to educate our younger generations on the benefits of eating healthy and taking care of ourselves.  Now we sit smack in the middle of some real crisis' on multiple fronts - we have many addicted to painkillers, people have risky body modification surgeries, diabetes and other health problems are running out of control, and the medical community just hands out pills to treat symptoms rather than find cures. 

I recommend everyone get back to eating clean food, moderate exercise, limit alcohol, have a healthy sex-life, and if you have chronic pain, then look at natural medicine or marijuana for treatment. 

Good Topic !

Mea Heraposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly what i feel as well. The younger generations should be educated about the risks of obesity without being bullied or shamed in to feeling bad about themselves. They should be encouraged to embrace a healthy life style because it would be beneficial in the long run.

2. Aime F profile image81
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

I don’t really think that by not shaming obese people we’re encouraging it. It’s still not something that’s glamorized or coveted so I don’t foresee anyone suddenly striving to become obese.

I believe it’s possible to tell people that they don’t need to feel terribly about themselves if they’re overweight/underweight while still promoting the positives of being at a healthy weight.

I also think it’s important to note that while weight is certainly one indication of overall health, it’s not the only indication and you can’t necessarily assume that someone is healthier than someone else just by looking at them.

I’ve sort of always been of the mind that people can make whatever choices they want for themselves and their own bodies and as long as it doesn’t negatively affect anyone else they shouldn’t be shamed for it.

Good point about weight not being an indicator of overall health. Thin people can be unhealthier than certain fat people. But the risk of non communicable diseases goes up with a person's BMI. Being both severely thin (anorexia) or obese are both unhealthy.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

The American diet is promoting obesity, therefore, clothes must be made for fuller figures. It is more feasible to encourage these larger shapes, since the clothing industry has produced clothing lines designed for them.

In my view, people do not know how to control their weight any more and it seems they don't care. They see it as a choice. The health risks are not recognized or felt until they are older,   So, young big people are living in complete joy wearing all the clothes being sold in all the clothing stores that fit them just fine!

Well, Good!

Don't worry, be happy!

The fashion industry does get more profit by catering to the plus sized audience. The society is getting fatter due to our unhealthy lifestyles. I think that it's good to represent all kinds of individuals (gender, age, race, size, etc.) in this industry. There are certain few people who are obese due to medical conditions and are therefore having a hard time losing weight. It's nice to represent them and make clothes to fit their bodies in order to boost their confidence.

People have to remember not to go overboard though. It should not go up to a point where obesity is actively encouraged. Certain individuals are against thin people being included in advertisements because they promote 'unrealistic body expectations'. We have to remember that all models are photoshopped in these advertsements to look better (thin, average or fat). I feel as if the society at present is encouraging unhealthy lifestyles by disguising it as body positivity. While body positivity should indeed be embraced, unhealthiness should not.

4. NessMovieReviews profile image89
    NessMovieReviewsposted 2 years ago

☝️☝️ Awesome response

5. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 2 years ago

Perhaps the clothing industry will resize clothing to coddle the ego of the  increasingly popular plus sized ?   Converting   XX Large to perhaps X small and thus changing downward all sizes to stroke our tender egos ?

1. Aime F profile image81
      Aime Fposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Nah, probably not. Nice hysterics, though. Quite the dramatic effect.

1. profile image0
        Ed Fisherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No hysterics here ,just quiet ,calm observation of reality.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
          Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

yes, that will be the next thing.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Worth repeating:

"... no one should be bullied or judged for their physical appearance but also that we shouldn't promote being severely overweight as an acceptable life style, purely based on the health risks to the individuals." 

Thanks, RJ Schwartz

7. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 2 years ago

For today's culture , we have to allow for the P.C. . Yes, it's okay to fat shame certain groups of people but not others , for instance don't shame a plus sized female Muslim child but it's okay to shame the big white guy in the flat- bed pick- up  . Don't shame the person with a thyroid issue if they are a minority but if it's in a comedy movie of local kids playing soccer in suburbia , go for it .........I'm ashamed of so many Americans .

Everyone should be treated equally regardless of whether they are the minority or the majority. Due to the unstable condition prevalent in this country people have chosen sides up to the extent where they don't see the truth anymore. If something fits the side you support, you support it even if you don't agree with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)