Speek softly and carry a big stick...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (53 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 5 years ago

That was Teddy Roosevelt speaking and IMHO, Trump could learn a think or two from history...
    The recent gyration of wall street is a prime example.
    The Trump officials and the President should learn to keep their mouth shut and negotiate diligently in private. Only announce the results when it is reached. That is how diplomacy works.
    The comments by twitter and off the cuff remarks tends to feed rumors and cause these up and down swings in the market.
    Just shut up and do your job. - My advice to Trump and his minions.

1. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well yeah.  This has been the problem with Trump from day one.  While he ran I wasn't keen on Trump, at all, because of his freakin' mouth.  I'm still not keen on him.  I do like some/many of the policies he espouses, and I'm very pleased to have him in office rather that Clinton.  That said, he was a really, really poor choice for Republican nominee.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I will say that you defend his behavior until it might hit you in your portfolio. His style is either good or bad. If it's bad at one time it should be bad at all times.

jackclee lmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is not true in general. There are many people who behave badly and have done some great things... JFK and Nixon comes to mind.

2. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 5 years ago

I like you speak softly advice. Unfortunately, the personality type of our president will not be able to heed these words. One psychic foresaw some trouble in Trump completing his term...we'll see.

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image67
      JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The vast majority of legal experts and constitutional scholars would agree with your psychic's scenario of the impostor sitting in our oval office having trouble completing his term: We've never experienced this unprecedented level of mega-corruption, ineptitude, insanity, betrayal of the USA and retardation from our oval office: UNREAL:

2. jackclee lm profile image81

Perhaps, we will see. Politics has strange bedfellows.
      One thing about Trump is he is not stupid.
      Once he realized something is not working, I believe he will change.
      At this point, he is beating the media.
      They are going insane and that is just where Trump wants them.

Not only is Bozo trump door knob stupid he shows many signs of being  retarded and exhibits NO signs of having the ability to learn and no jackclee, he'll never change even when sucking bars behind concrete prison walls and that's where this betrayer needs to end up if we still have valid laws in this once great country and no again, he's not beating anyone but himself and his last remaining gullible detached from reality followers, beating them right into the dirt with his insane trade war and insane self destructive behavior:

His ratings are DOWN with a recent poll clocking him at a record low of 38% approval and record high of 60% disapproval: The midterms were a total rebuke of Bozo and his Russian controlled republican congress: And don't worry, "Squinty" Mike Pence who is essentially in hiding, must be in legal jeopardy as well after being the campaign transition chief:

1. profile image0

Well Jake, IF you were able to somehow make the fantasy impeachment reality, the new president would be good old "Squinty".  Just think!  Wouldn't that be loads of fun for the far left??

Well Hxprof, in the face of delusional denials from his last remaining followers, I've been predicting for a very long time that Donald would end up in prison and now everyone realizes this looks like the inevitable outcome for this ridiculously crazy and insane nightmare of an illegitimate presidency and believe it or not, we haven't even received the prosecutors evidence in its entirety on Obstruction, Abuse of Power, Conspiracy and Constitutional Crimes and everything else that might arise: Wait until those investigations are complete and then we just might see him leap from the roof of Trump Tower hand in hand with fake Christian "Squinty" Mike:

I'd like to say my prediction that Bozo Trump would end up in prison was the result of some sort of miraculous divine prognostication that only I could envision however, it was pretty easy for the average individual to foresee this given that for whatever mad narcissistic reason, he tends to commit what many legal experts consider serious illegal acts right in broad daylight and on his little twitter machine for the entire world to witness which makes it exceedingly easy to compile the evidence:

2. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've been wondering for a long time when the corrupt Christian would finally be implicated. I'm not sure it will happen, but it is looking more and more likely.

PP: Bozo Trump must be indicted by NY prosecutors because Michael Cohen was for the very same crimes, but "stubby's" indictment probably won't happen until Mueller's criminal investigation is concluded which should only result ih even MORE charges:

"Squinty" Mike was the chief transition jerk if I remember correctly which seems to indicate he knows an awful lot about critically important details related to the criminal investigations and given his fickle unholy relationship with GOD, he probably won't think twice about 'flipping' on Bozo and he may have already behind the scenes for all we know:

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Bozo Trump must be indicted by NY prosecutors because Michael Cohen was for the very same crimes"

Do ya think we should indict him for DUI, possession with intent to deliver, jaywalking and grand theft, auto as well?  After all, we can find someone, somewhere, that was indicted for the "very same crimes" - if that's all it takes let's do it!  We can even include panhandling without a license, fishing without a permit, arson and running a red light, for someone, somewhere, has been not only indicted but actually found guilty of all of those.

No, Bozo Trump should NOT be indicted for crimes he didn't commit ONLY for the serious federal crimes he's now listed in federal court documents as an "un-indicted co-conspirator and any and ALL additional crimes he's accused of in the future which given the incredibly unbelievable amount of damning evidence already gathered to this point, and the amount of NEW evidence documented almost daily from his bizarre unhinged twitter tizzies fits which only give our enemies a crystal clear 24/7 look inside his little disturbed mind, there should be many more down the pike:

This nightmare of a Bozo cult charade is FINALLY coming to an abrupt END in the REAL World and we all must Thank GOD for That: Every day we are forced to wake Up to another Trump induced horror show or betrayal and that's absolutely unsustainable and unacceptable, I'm just SHOCKED he's STILL polluting our oval office but the investigations must be concluded prior to indictments::

You DO understand that a simple claim of malfeasance is not sufficient to indict someone for anything?  If I claim you are an alien from Mars it is insufficient to have you arrested and subjected to a medical exam, for instance.  (You're not really an alien, are you?  In spite of your propensity for idiotic, sensationalist rhetoric that sounds as if it were taken strait from the Enquirer headlines?)

Never mind wilderness, for a moment there I forgot who I was talking to  but just FYI, you really should read legitimate news like this:

"Michael Cohen's testimony implicates Trump as a co-conspirator in a crime to get elected, but what happens next is unclear"

https://www.businessinsider.com/michael … tor-2018-8

2. crankalicious profile image87
                crankaliciousposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, do you still not see a possible crime here, or does this all fall under the heading of "all politicians are guilty of something so I'm willing to let this slide?"

The specific charge here is that Trump directed hush money payments to two individuals using campaign funds in violation of campaign finance laws (pardon me if I didn't describe that exactly right). It's a crime.

I'm trying to figure out how this doesn't register with some people. I suppose you might believe that Michael Cohen is lying, but he's going to jail anyway, so I'm not sure what his motivation is to lie (other than getting back at Trump, I suppose).

I mean, it does seem pretty straight-forward that these two women were paid not to talk, but I suppose they could be lying as well.

Or is politics such a swamp that you and other Trump supporters just don't care? I can understand that too, I suppose.

I'll just say that I'm not sure that I would classify the crime as impeachable, but it's getting close.

Conspiring to conceal facts from voters which could affect their decision in a covert attempt to steal the presidency is ABSOLUTELY an impeachable crime considering no crime is required to impeach a hostile to the USA, illegitimate oval office resident and nowhere in the constitution does it say a sitting president CANNOT be indicted which NY Prosecutors must do AFTER the Mueller investigation is concluded:

Wait until the Mueller investigation is complete and see how many MORE additional crimes were committed, these serious federal offenses can be predicted simply from reading and watching the mountain of PUBLIC Evidence, not counting the MOUNTAIN of Evidence Mueller's prosecutors have uncovered behind the scenes:

Bozo Trump is ABSOLUTELY going to prison if we still have laws it's just a matter of time:

2. wilderness profile image96

"I'm trying to figure out how this doesn't register with some people."

That's OK - I'm still trying to twist my brain around the apparent fact that many people here (including Jake) don't seem to understand that it is a possible crime, not one we know was committed.

"I mean, it does seem pretty straight-forward that these two women were paid not to talk, but I suppose they could be lying as well."

This might be a good example, for it is not illegal, not even a tiny bit, to mutually agree not to speak.  It is done with most out-of-court settlements.  Yet, somehow, it is considered a crime by many here, and a crime that Trump should receive prison time for. 

Now, if that money came from donated campaign funds, and it can be shown that Donald Trump ordered it so, it would be different.  But to date it is not - anyone (including Jake) that just assumes it WILL be shown true is making a serious logical and legal error.

1. hard sun profile image77
                    hard sunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The money doesn't in any way have to come from donated campaign funds. It only has to be shown that the intent was to influence the election. If the intent were otherwise, Trump would have paid her off in 2011.  That money could have come from Trump's piggy bank, and it would still be illegal because it wasn't reported. Unreported campaign contributions and those over contribution limits violate campaign finance law.

100.111 Gift, subscription, loan, advance or deposit of money.
                    a. A purchase, payment, distribution, loan (except for a loan made in accordance with 11 CFR 100.113 and 100.114), advance, deposit, or gift of money or anything of value, made by any person for the purpose of influencing any election for Federal office is an expenditure.
                    https://www.fec.gov/regulations/100-111 … #100-111-a

2. crankalicious profile image87

Wilderness,

As far as I'm concerned, Jake is a troll and he's just making outlandish statements to aggravate those on the Right in the same way that those on the Right adopt conspiracy theories and make non-sensical statements about all sorts of things.

I don't expect you to hold him up as an example of those on the left and to recognize him for what he is. And frankly, I expect more from you. Responding to what he says is pointless because he just responds like he's writing for the National Inquirer.

This is just a rhetorical game, right? Nobody knows whether Trump committed a crime or not, but there does seem to be a large amount of circumstantial evidence that he did, so some people are concluding that he did because it fits into a larger pattern of behavior.

Are you serious in a conclusion that has the two women agreeing not to talk? Really? We know Stormy Daniels was paid $130k for something. To think Trump didn't know about it seems far-fetched, though possible, I guess. Given Rex Tillerson's recent revelation that Trump often wanted things and had to be told they were illegal speaks to the man's respect for the law, I think.

It is consistent with his actions that he wouldn't think violating a campaign finance law was something he had to be concerned about.

3. profile image0

"I suppose you might believe that Michael Cohen is lying, but he's going to jail anyway, so I'm not sure what his motivation is to lie (other than getting back at Trump, I suppose)."

It's unclear to me what we actually know after Cohen gave his story, compared to what we knew beforehand.  We knew the timing of the payoffs, but we had to assume they were private transactions (as Trump is claiming) rather than transactions made specifically to influence the elections.  Cohen may have lied to get a lighter sentence; Mueller is "recommending" 4 years, but seeing as he's admitted to tax fraud, for which he could spend 30 years in jail, it's possible Mueller guaranteed him the lighter sentence if Cohen would tell him what he wanted to hear.  Corrupt? Sure, but this kind of thing is done.

If Trump told Cohen to make the payments for the purpose of influencing the elections as Cohen asserts, then yes, that's against campaign finance laws.  But here too, that's a really poor move (just as Mueller's would be), and every lawyer on Trump's team would be recommending, at the least, that he NOT make the payments for the purpose of influencing the election.

So one of two things may have happened: 1) Mueller made a deal with Cohen to get Cohen to say what Mueller wanted him to say in return for a lighter sentence. 2) Trump told Cohen to make the payments specifically for the purpose of influencing the election.  In either case, someone, arguably, did something really stupid.

4. GA Anderson profile image89
                  GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi there Crankalicious,

I hope you will take this as a question, and not a defence, but ...

I have not heard -- yet -- that campaign funds were used to pay these women. To be clear, I don't know, but as yet all I have heard asserted is that the funds were to be paid back - personally, not out of campaign funds.

Didn't one of Cohen's recordings speak of whether they were to be paid by check or cash? And a check payment was stipulated?

If that is true, then that would also mean that the money used, (Cohen's home equity loan in one case??), could not be seen as a campaign "in kind" or "goods or services" donation.

Have I missed something, has Cohen's statements said they were paid out of campaign funds?

If campaign funds weren't used, and if the money paid was to be paid back and not viewed as a campaign contribution, isn't the worse valid charge one of paying hush money? A moral condemnation?

As a side note, has anything been reported that actual repayment to Cohen occurred?

Where does the campaign laws violation come into play?

It was a plus to read  "possible" crimes instead of a concrete assertion of crimes committed.

GA

1. crankalicious profile image87

Everyone is responding all at once. I'll just respond here, both to GA and Wilderness mostly.

I think everyone who hates Trump probably hopes he committed a crime or wants it to be that way but, if they're reasonably smart, hasn't concluded he committed a crime.

Do I believe he committed one? Based on the evidence, I believe it is highly likely for two reasons: the evidence that he has little regard for the law and that he has lied about the circumstances of these affairs over and over again.

I find it hard to believe that two, reasonable gentlemen such as yourselves, are willing to overlook his numerous lies on this subject and give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't authorize the pay-offs. Further, and I can't say precisely where the crime is, but prosecutors seem to believe he violated campaign finance laws. Apparently, he had to  disclose the payment.

Now, Trump, after saying he knew nothing about the payments, has said that the payments were made between private individuals.

His story certainly seems to change to suit the defense.

2. wilderness profile image96

"Where does the campaign laws violation come into play?"

I'm no lawyer, and know nothing of campaign laws, but I have to wonder as well.  One of the biggest uses of campaign funds is to pay someone to say something; is that really different than paying someone not to say something?

I also hear rumblings that it was illegal because it was intended to affect the election, but isn't that what the entire campaign, and all it's funding, is used for?  To have an effect on the election outcome?

3. hard sun profile image77
    hard sunposted 5 years ago

The money doesn't in any way have to come from donated campaign funds. It only has to be shown that the intent was to influence the election. If the intent were otherwise, Trump would have paid her off in 2011.  That money could have come from Trump's piggy bank, and it would still be illegal because it wasn't reported. Unreported campaign contributions and those over contribution limits violate campaign finance law.

100.111 Gift, subscription, loan, advance or deposit of money.
    a. A purchase, payment, distribution, loan (except for a loan made in accordance with 11 CFR 100.113 and 100.114), advance, deposit, or gift of money or anything of value, made by any person for the purpose of influencing any election for Federal office is an expenditure.
    https://www.fec.gov/regulations/100-111 … #100-111-a

Campaign finance abuses are rampant. Politics is a corrupt and dirty business. Investigating and punishing abusers are selective. Thst is why our justice system should not be politicized. Yet, under Obama administration, it has been and the IRS, and the EPA and the FBI have all been politicized. Not the whole agency but certainly at some of the senior positions. Lois Lerner at the IRS is one glaring example. She is retired and collecting a nice pension...her computer destroyed and emails missing and no consequences...where is the justice?

If we think along these lines, then maybe Trump should be a better politician. If it's a ruthless business with no justice then to be effective you must know how to avoid being investigated, prosecuted, etc. These matters are taking over his so called administration.

Maybe mouthing off about so many people involved with the top levels of government and politics is not the best way to be a politician. Maybe it's not the best way to lead, and he's reaping the consequences. Survival of the fittest, and Trump's not too fit for the role it seems.

You're right - Trump was destined to be at least a partial failure in the political arena, having zero experience there and not truly understanding what he was about to face.  And he still does not have the expertise to avoid political pitfalls like investigations.

It's why he was elected - because he is not a consummate politician, the likes of which Americans are totally fed up with.  I sounds strange to hear someone saying that having that knowledge and ability, knowing how to game the system how to play dirty and get away with it, how to get around the law to gain power, is what we need in our leaders - most of us are completely disgusted with those qualities our politicians so often flaunt.

Unfortunately, it takes a politician to be a politician. Just likes it takes a business person to run a business. It has from the beginning of time and whether people are disgusted, or not, that's not going to change. However, Trump took us to new found lows and he has absolutely no clue what he is doing. Trump was supposed to be the deal maker supreme. Ultimately, that's what politics is about, and being a jerk to everyone you want to deal with you is not a wise policy. Trump is not winning on any front right now. I thought it was about winning, not morals? If it were about morality Trump wouldn't be President. I keep hearing this from Trump supporters. You can't have it both ways and Trump is losing.

You don't hire a plumber because you don't like how your mechanic fixes your car. Oh well. maybe Americans do.

You may be right.  We may have so entrenched our politics into the mud that it is the only way to survive now.  But that is not a reason to suggest that we elect only scum to lead us - people that can survive and prosper in that environment.  Better that we have nothing but losers!

No, Trump isn't a "new found low".  He just lets it hang out for all to see rather than hiding it away as the rest of them do.  (He is also far from the wildest, most unconforming president we've ever had.  Past history contains some real characters!)

We should at least elect individuals who understand that they need to hire experts and listen to those experts. Trump is a failure.

America didn't entrench ourselves. Corruption is human nature. We can only try to keep it down and the commoners get what we can out of the system. We should not elect people who have never served others in their life..that's just my opinion of course.

It's the same game it's always been. Winning is winning and losing is losing right? Isn't that what Trump is all about? Winning at all costs? You all knew Trump was scum when you voted for him.

I've heard over and over from Trump supporters, including you Wilderness, that it's results that count not the morality of the person. Now that's different?

I would say it's less scummy to not come into a position kicking and screaming, name calling, making up facts like the biggest inauguration crowd ever, etc. 

Oh, and let's not forget: " I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters."

2. JAKE Earthshine profile image67

And just about EVERYTHING Bozo Trump "hangs out for everyone to see" is either evil, dark, racist, unholy, un-Christian, narcissistic, retarded, incoherent, inadequate, treacherous, obstructionist, abusive, insane, disturbed, mentally warped, destructive, inept, misogynist, neo-nationalist, fascist, untrue, false, fake, phony or a MEGA-Danger to our Democracy, and the World and our very survival:

The bright side ?? I'm now jubilantly satisfied that this incompetent, betrayer of our once great union will indeed be locked away in prison for a very very long time if he manages to escape the penalty of Capitol Punishment:

I think Trump will run to Russia when he's no longer President.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)