Who Is The Majority - NRA Ad From NC City Council Citizen Speech

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (30 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image81
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

We seem to be presented with only a binary choice; for or against Trump.

But, is that what Middle America sees?

Here is a N. Carolina City Council meeting speech made by a citizen that was turned into an NRA ad campaign.

If you can, put aside the NRA part of the equation, (Mr. Robinson had no NRA affiliation before, (I don't know about after), his city council meeting appearance),  and consider what Mark Robinson was saying at this city council meeting.

Is this a fair representation of Middle America?

https://hubstatic.com/14644279_f1024.jpg
    Source credit: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit … 49249.html

Of course, we are political junkies spending hours a day pontificating about Left vs. Right issues. Trump vs. anti-Trump disasters/accomplishments. But, are we the anomaly? Are we the blind ones? Is this the true message of the average American? Are we so full of ourselves that we think we know what Americans want? Or what Americans are really feeling?

GA

1. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

GA, whose says that this guy represents Middle America, is the majority?

Just because he says so? I suppose Ben Carson would say that he is middle of the road, as well.

The will of the electorate determines the "majority".  The result of the elections is the only, objective and accurate gauge of what Americans want or what they are feeling.

I am not necessarily against his tirade about the guns, yet I am a tax paying, law abiding citizen, so what him makes part of the "majority" while I am not? And he still has a nasty Rightwinger "feel".

GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It was a conversation-provoking point. Cred. You say you are also a law-abiding citizen, do you disagree with his perspective?

Do you have an insight that determines that his view is not that of middle-America?

Consider our forum discussions. How many of us are there, a dozen? Do you think we represent a valid representation of middle-America?

I think Mark Robinson, (of the video), represents a more accurate picture of how middle-America feels than any of us forum participants will acknowledge.

We aren't the voice of the people Cred, we are just a cadre of political pundits on a political forum. And I think we are too full of ourselves.

Mark Robinson is just a citizen's opinion elevated to notoriety because of his message. But more importantly, his elevation illustrates how silly our pontifications are because of our party affiliations.

It seems obvious that we don't speak for anyone but ourselves. I am humbled. I actually thought I knew what I was talking about.

Mr. Robinson has shown that I am only speaking for myself. All the rest is forum bullsh*t.

GA

GA, As for disagreeing about Robinson's prospective in this case, I cant say that I do. But whether he and I would agree over broader issues would require my sitting across from him and conversing.
          --------
          "Do you have an insight that determines that his view is not that of middle-America?"

But, what insight have you that make you believe that he is? Do you really think that anything the NRA advocates is "Middle America" or is it "NRA America"? NRA has never come off as 'middle of the road" to me.

Think about it, based on that single issue of "guns" alone, if most everybody sees things as he does, the Democrats would not have any support. Yet Hillary Clinton got the majority of the popular vote. So, can this guy really represent the "middle"?
          -------

"Consider our forum discussions. How many of us are there, a dozen? Do you think we represent a valid representation of middle-America?"

Most folks that would be middle American would not have the time to engage in forums such as this, too busy actually working and raising families. People who have time to do this are not representative of your typical guy on the street.
          -----
          "I think Mark Robinson, (of the video), represents a more accurate picture of how middle-America feels than any of us forum participants will acknowledge."

There are plenty of people that have problems with guns and their proliferation considering the unending tragedies, can't they be considered "Middle American"?
          --------------
          "We aren't the voice of the people Cred, we are just a cadre of political pundits on a political forum. And I think we are too full of ourselves."

"Mark Robinson is just a citizen's opinion elevated to notoriety because of his message. But more importantly, his elevation illustrates how silly our pontifications are because of our party affiliations."

The real reason Robinson's message is raised to notoriety is the fact that conservatives cant resist the opportunity of having a Black man parrot their views in a public forum, as it is as rare as the alignment of the planets. Whether Robinson acknowledges it or not, HE is taking a side, or conservatives are using it as such.

While you are right about the forum and its participants not necessarily being representative of the Average Joe, who says that Robinson  is the representative of the "everyman"?

2. GA Anderson profile image81

Do you dispute his description of "the majority" Cred? That the majority of Americans are law-abiding citizens that have never shot anybody or committed a felony?

You dislike his message so you say he has a "nasty Rightwinger "feel."

I disagree Cred, I do not think you are part of the majority.

As for my coupling the term "Middle America" with his "majority;" that was posed as a question, not a declaration.

GA

"Do you dispute his description of "the majority" Cred? That the majority of Americans are law-abiding citizens that have never shot anybody or committed a felony?"

Geez, GA, that is probably true of 95 percent of American residents. And it is true of me as well, so why am I not part of the "majority"?

So who gets the define the meaning of the "majority"?

I don't know about Mr. Robinson, until I sat down with him over a beer or two. What else does he believe, I won't Right him off without more info.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This was going to be the gist of my reply, too.

This premise seems too simplistic to have any real significance.

I think that may be part of my point. Simplistic is the answer. Simplistic is Middle America. Middle America deals with simplistic realities, not nuanced considerations.

GA

"I won't Right him off without more info."
            Typo or Freudian slip. Or purposeful quip?

GA

?

It was a typo, but I like it, it will be a keeper.

What is "simplistic realities" and why do you think this Robinson fellow has it and the rest of us are sorely lacking?

2. Don W profile image80
      Don Wposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Here's who the majority is. I'm the majority" - Mark Robinson

Not on the issue of guns:

https://hubstatic.com/14644993.png
      https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 … ownership/

Have I missed the point?

1. Live to Learn profile image59
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Once again,  we find you off on a tangent.  This guy appears to be ranting against the possibility of a law taking away his guns.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How is a graphic about "the majority" view on gun control off target from a ranting gun owner who claims he represents the majority?

I doubt any in the majority think they,  personally,  are a threat and should have their guns confiscated. This gentleman appeared to be addressing the possibility of the government confiscating guns.  Not going through a background check.

We can all agree on differ aspects of ideas on increasing ways to keep guns out of the hands of those who would use them for violence.  Do you think any in any majority would consider themselves the ones who would end up being refused a gun sale?

Don did not address what this gentleman was speaking about.

1. profile image0

I don't think your response answers my question. Don's graphic goes to the point about what the majority thinks and not what one guy claims.

He is simply venting about gun rights. Everyone is law abiding until they break the law, including that guy.

Patrick Crusius was law abiding until he massacred 22 people when he wanted to kill Mexicans. If he wasn't law abiding, he would have been in jail before the massacre.

We'll have to disagree unless somebody wants to contact the guy and ask him if Don's aside has anything to do with his speech.

If you check into Mr. Robinson I think you will find that he is not a gun owner.

GA

1. profile image0

It's odd that anyone who rants about his personal gun rights is not a gun owner or someone who visits a gun range on a regular basis.

You don't have to own a gun to be a gun advocate (rational) or fanatic (irrational).

Regardless, Don's point remains valid. The venter was claiming he represents middle America. Don's graphic shows what average Americans believe about gun control.

Yes, Don, you have missed the point.

GA

1. profile image0

I guess I have, too. You're.not making any sense to me at all.

1. profile image0

Likewise.

My intended point, although apparently poorly presented, didn't have anything to do with the gun control issue. However, since that was the topic Mr. Robinson used to make what I took as his point,  I can understand everyone's confusion. My bad.

But, you can use Mr. Robinson's description to get an idea of what I am asking is Middle America;

"... law-abiding citizens that have never shot anybody or committed a serious crime or a felony ... we're the first ones taxed and the last ones considered and the first ones punished ..."

I think there are many issues that folks might feel this way about.

GA

1. profile image0

I agree many people feel this way. I have been hearing this lament (or, one could call it a "whine") since I was a child. It rarely is accompanied by an ability to specifically demonstrate how the lamenter is the most aggrieved.

2. profile image0

Thanks for the clarification, GA. In response, I agree that it's understandable for any normal person to feel that way about gun control and a host of other issues.

For example, some people are punished with huge health insurance premiums despite great health that they work hard at maintaining.

I hope you agree that it's not about punishing gun owners who act responsibly. It's about identifying and stopping the people who act or are about to act irresponsibly.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Connor Betts and Connor Betts were "law abiding" until the day they murdered 31 people in El Paso and Dayton.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

What is this "Middle America* he is purported to represent? Do you mean the political "middle*? The geographival "middle"? Some other °middle"? You commenrs seem to indicate you think he represents those who do not closely follow politics. Is that what you mean by "Middle America"?

I'm confused.

Yes Sandy, I do mean that his views represent those of the "middle-America" that doesn't care beans about what the latest CNN scandal is, or what the latest Trump criticism is.

I think he is talking about the middle-America that is not us, political pundits or forum denizens. Middle-America that struggles through daily life and gets their news from the evening news stations. That middle-America.

You can make your own guess, but my guess is that folks like us are less than 10% of the real middle-America.

So all our pontifications don't really amount to a hill of beans relative to our national conscience.

Maybe that is why we have such divisive perspectives. They aren't America's divisive issues, they are ours.

GA

1. profile image0

I'm having a hard time seeing your point. I think it's a stretch to say this one guy and his rant about one issue represents "middle America."

The majority of Americans disagree with this guy, actually. So, maybe you are saying "middle America" is a minority?

If, after watching his speech,  you are confused about the majority he spoke of, (or the Middle America term I coupled to his "majority), then I should just leave you that way. ;-)

But, you can use Mr. Robinson's description to get an idea of what I am asking is Middle America;

"... law-abiding citizens that have never shot anybody or committed a serious crime or a felony ... we're the first ones taxed and the last ones considered and the first ones punished ..."

GA

3. Live to Learn profile image59
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

Most of us are middle America.

Middle America doesn't see eye to eye on all issues but middle America respects their neighbors, respects their opinions, and respects individual liberty and freedom.

Middle America understands that laws should not be over reaching, that individuals must take accountability for their actions; so even though we disagree on many points we can all live peacefully together, within the framework of a constitution that has worked for centuries.

Middle America understands that laws work much better when they represent the minimal invasion needed, into our personal liberties, to ensure society plays nice together.

I would like to add to that Live to learn. But, you already said it better than anything I could add. ^5

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)