Are Leftist Governors using science to implement their agenda?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image97
    Readmikenowposted 7 months ago

Author: How left-wing governors are using science as a smoke screen for their own agenda

“[The science] is very new. What you hear though is politicians claiming they know very clearly what the science is. You see states doing very different things,” said Todd Myers, an author and the director of the Center for the Environment at the Washington Policy Center.
    Myers, author of “Eco-Fads: How the Rise of Trendy Environmentalism Is Harming the Environment," said that Washington state was the only state to ban recreational fishing, and it was done in the “name of science" by Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee.
    –– ADVERTISEMENT ––
    “The problem with using science in that way when people clearly recognize that it is not the science that you’re following is that they become cynical. It’s like crying wolf too many times and they stop trusting science when we really need good science,” Myers said.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/todd-myer … -governors

1. Ken Burgess profile image91
      Ken Burgessposted 7 months agoin reply to this

This is the problem isn't it?

First, there is no definitive science about this virus.

The "experts" claim it will kill ten million one day... then "only"  a couple hundred thousand the next.

They count those who died from the virus by one standard... and then a week later change the standard to anyone who even had a symptom of it to be included.

They tell you to stay indoors, and then a report comes out that over 60% of new cases are coming from those who 'social distanced' and remained cloistered indoors.

They tell you sunlight and light exercise are great ways to combat the virus: Mar 04, 2020 · Professor Wang Linfa, director for the program in emerging infectious diseases at the Duke-NUS Medical School, said ultra-violet rays and heat from the sun could kill the virus. “If you can stay under the sun for a while, it would be good,” he added. “Vitamin D can also boost the immune system.” …Apr 06, 2020 · Exercise can maximize your chances of fighting the deadly virus - as a string of studies have shown it can influence the body's immune system....  and then they tell you to remain indoors, and don't you dare go to the beach or park, or you will be arrested.

The problem is... THEY DON'T USE SCIENCE … they use the virus and the media driven panic to advance their agendas.

Most of these "experts" like the county health official that felt they had the power to keep Tesla from opening its factory back up until Tesla met her demands on how it had to proceed... don't have a damned clue as to what to do, they just think they do... which makes them that much more dangerous.

Give an idiot with no common sense just a pinch of authority and you have given an idiot too much power.  We are seeing this overreach all over the country today.

We see it with police, we see it with health officials, we see it with local politicians. 

The price the nation is going to pay for this pandemic panic I believe will be a devastating one... and many millions of lives will ultimately be the worse for it.  There is no way to easily come back from 40+ million jobs lost... many businesses will go bankrupt, wages will decline, millions will be without homes, without food, but yeah... keep the quarantine going... with idiotic Governors like  Gretchen Whitmer and Andrew Cuomo destroying their states and their economies.

1. PrettyPanther profile image84
        PrettyPantherposted 7 months agoin reply to this

"Give an idiot with no common sense just a pinch of authority and you have given an idiot too much power. "

I agree with the statement, but disagree on who are the real idiots.

Oh come on now, there are plenty of idiots on all sides to go around!

1. GA Anderson profile image92
            GA Andersonposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Amen. And plenty of types of idiots, from the uneducated to the highly educated, and from the extremes to the orthodox.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image85
        Sharlee01posted 7 months agoin reply to this

We have Whitmer in court, hopefully, this week our Supreme Court will take away her power, and we will fully open up. The people of Michigan are furious at this idiot. Hopefully, Biden will pick her for his running mate, and they both can run off into where ever... We just want her gone. She has already devastated our economics and is now begging the Fed Gov for help.

It is interesting to see how we have moved on from this "war" against Corona... to riots in several major liberal regions.

These regions that also have suffered the worst lock-down measures, mostly unjustified and unreasonable ones.

James posted some interesting facts the other day, I will repost them here:
          Treating downstate New York as a separate country from the rest of the United States:
          1. Downstate NY (1,771.86)
          2. Belgium (791.76)
          3. Spain (573.38)
          4. UK (558.95)
          5. Italy (524.58)
          6. France (415.90)
          7. Sweden (391.87)
          8. Netherlands (338.01)
          9. Ireland (309.86)
          10. USA sans downstate NY (233.44)
          Once you separate downstate New York from the rest of the United States, the rest of the United States [drops to] the bottom—barely edging out Switzerland.

So, the draconian lockdown in most other states was never warranted, and arguably 46 of the 50 states shouldn't be under any lockdown at all at this time, as the numbers don't warrant it.

And lets not kid ourselves, a good percentage of the deaths they are attributing to Covid-19 are caused by other factors, like heart failure or pneumonia, but if they had tested positive for Covid they are added to the count.  When someone gets the flu, and then dies from heart failure, do they blame the flu for putting added stress on the body?

So... we went from a lockdown that caused 40 million people to lose their jobs, to several States having authoritarian Democratic Governors overstepping their authority and destroying their state economies, to riots in the streets... what comes next when the Governors lose complete control of regions of their states?

I'm guessing you are going to start seeing people uniting and taking the law into their own hands, since the police and national guard seem incapable of quelling the violence, armed citizens will start doing so.

It might be that a month from now... Covid 19 is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

1. Sharlee01 profile image85

Ken, I am so frustrated with our govenor, the numbers in Michigan have been down for weeks, yet we continue to have most everything closed, and now these riots. Which is clearly being organized by Left extremists. I will say the Police chief here in Michigan has handled the riots pretty well, we have had little property damage.

If these fools in the Dem Governors can't come up with plans to stop this violence in their cities, I agree with the citizen's will. I truly can say I would protect my home with a weapon, I never thought I might have too.

I hope your wife is feeling better.

2. wilderness profile image97
            wildernessposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I always have a problem when an action is taken to prevent an undesirable event and when that event does not happen people exclaim that the action wasn't needed after all.

The assumption here is that because the rest of the country did not have the COVID problem NYC did we did not need the lockdown...the very thing designed and implemented to prevent what then did not happen.

I think a whole lot more truly in-depth and honest (difficult with politics playing such a huge part) research before we could ever say that a lockdown did not prevent a massive nation wide COVID outbreak.

Dan I have stated this before but I want to clarify.

When the lock-down initially occurred, it was a wise decision, it made sense to take precautions, to let hospitals get prepared, to keep it from spreading too fast.

That started MID-MARCH … two and a half months ago.

The President was right to push for a re-opening by mid-April and then by May 1st.  The numbers did not support keeping the lockdown going into JUNE in states that have barely been touched by the virus.

Other than keeping kids out of schools, the choice should have been left to businesses and individuals on how to proceed after May 1st.

Hospitals are going bankrupt, businesses large and small are going bankrupt, 40 million people out of work, people have been cooped up for months, its a mess, and half these states have no legitimate reason to have ANY lockdown remaining in place... its just pure idiocy and overreach by Democrat Governors and Mayors that are dooming their cities and states to the economic collapse and outbreaks of violence we are seeing now.

1. GA Anderson profile image92

Regarding your last statement Ken, I think the blame really lies in fear; fear of the virus and fear of being wrong.

There is a lot wrong when that old adage, 'to err on the side of caution' is applied in such extreme measures.

GA

2. wilderness profile image97
                wildernessposted 7 months agoin reply to this

In that case I fully agree; it is time to re-open and take our lumps as necessary.  We cannot afford to continue the shutdown.  I support a phased in re-opening, but it has to begin now and continue at a reasonable pace.

2. PrettyPanther profile image84
    PrettyPantherposted 7 months ago

A good take on the political dibide, as it is playing out in my home state of Oregon.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/us-journ … 76Tm7DsamU

1. Readmikenow profile image97
      Readmikenowposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I believe this is playing out in many states.  I think the worst is in Michigan where they can't mow their laws or even buy paint...for some reason.  In Michigan you can't go to your vacation home.  Huh?  If I had a governor tell me I couldn't go to the cabin I built and is over a mile from the nearest paved road and five miles from the nearest town, I'm afraid I'd have to disobey that one.

1. PrettyPanther profile image84
        PrettyPantherposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I'm not very knowledgeable about the Michigan restrictions but they do seem Draconian if what you say is true. Are these restrictions absolutes or are they recommendations?  Could a person be fined for using their own vacation home, for example?

I hear conservatives here in Oregon refer to the governor's recommendations as tyranny, even though they are not requirements. This past holiday weekend, the governor recommended that people travel locally and refrain from travelling across state for vacation purposes. The way some people reacted to that seemed silly to me. "I'll go wherever the he'll I want! Commie Kate won't take away my freedom!"

I don't know if Michigan is similar.but even if the measure are requirements, they are only temporary.

2. Sharlee01 profile image85

I live in Michigan, and yes the Gov has overstepped her powers. She has presented COVID interventions that are far beyond what anyone expected. Currently, Legislature is asking the Michigan Supreme Court to immediately consider its lawsuit challenging Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's emergency powers to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. Hopefully, the court hears the case next week, and her powers are rescinded , and the state will progress opening up. Under Whitmer's reopening plan Michigan is leaking more and more money. We are now begging for money from the Federal Government to pay our important bills. Hopefully, Biden chooses her for his running mate. Many here in Michigan would love to be ride of her, and see her out of a job.

2. GA Anderson profile image92

That was an interesting read PrettyPanther, thanks.

As I think about it, the subject of the "Red counties" perspectives would be worth a thread of its own.

I was particularly interested in the mentioned professor that studies and writes about populist movements. I followed the link to his book and will be looking into his thoughts.

My first reaction was that the issue of the divide between the "Red" conservatives and the 'Portlandia" portrayal needs a lot more thought than just an observation that as humans, there are a lot of idiots among us. *shrug

Although I can see a lot that is wrong with the Conservative perspectives illustrated by Samantha the grocery clerk story, in an effort to hone my magnanimity I must also think about folks' right to choose their 'way-of-life'

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)