Record Number Of Cargo Ships Are Stuck Outside LA. What Now?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 2 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/15753853_f1024.jpg
    Port complex of Los Angeles and Long Beach, already the busiest in the US, has seen a major traffic jam this week, and actually all summer...

Southern California is dealing with a traffic jam unlike any other in their history, as a record number of container ships have been stuck waiting in the waters outside the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach to unload cargo.

The bottleneck this week at America’s busiest port complex is the result of a shortage of trucks and drivers to pick up goods,  The store selves are getting pretty empty...

76 container ships sitting off the west coast waiting to dock at LA and Long Beach. The ships have been in this log jam for approaching 3 months.

The average container ship has about 14,000 containers

The average value of the merchandise on each container is $100,000

That is a total of $106,400,000,000 of inventory just sitting in limbo, sometimes expiring, often devaluing.

And it’s not just the west coast that is affected. There are similar problems up and down the east coast of New York and Georgia.

This is compounded by astronomical rises in shipping costs. It is estimated that the cost to ship a container from southern China to the west coast of the USA is as much as $20,000, up from $3,000 post-pandemic. That is a rise of over 650%.

And when the goods finally make dry land, there is a shortage of truck drivers to clear the docks, and storage space to put them."
    Source --  https://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2021/1 … f080255416

What is your opinion on what caused such a crisis?

Do you think the problem will be alleviated in the near future?

Thoughts ---

1. Kyler J Falk profile image90
      Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I could even begin to speculate on the root cause of the problems, but I can say that much of the delays seem intentional. A part of me wants to believe that the delays were measured, planned for, and will be corrected. Another part of me wonders whether or not we are heading toward some form of collapse, or multiple forms.

Needless to say, everything feels strange and almost foreboding, but optimism is keeping me pretty grounded. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this episode of clown world ends soon.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have not researched it and have no idea of it's actually true (although it does ring as true), but I've seen that the biggest problem in LA (biggest dock in the US) is that California is shutting down trucks.  They won't register anything older than 10 years (just getting started for an 18 wheeler) and will shortly require all trucks to be electric.

If (IF) true, that would be a major problem at that dock.  I've also seen Florida advertising that ships should come there as there is no backlog.  Again, I have not researched it, but that, too, could be true.

With how many companies are offering sign-on bonuses and use of their upgraded fleets, I don't think the older trucks will be falling out of circulation at such a rate we'd be seeing it affect global markets. However, California does have DMV standards that require certain upgrades to vehicles of certain production ages. These upgrades don't seem too over-the-top for your median-earning and above drivers.

A quick read for CA guidelines: https://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-sourc … f?sfvrsn=8

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, Kyler.  I'm neither a driver nor manufacturer - not even a trucking firm - but having to replace a perfectly good engine in an older truck could easily be " over-the-top for your median-earning and above drivers" according to your link.  That's for trucks entering the docks, which is what we're talking about.

The only real-life example of the situation I have to go off of is my buddy from the Army who drives clearance-grade loads, and he recently dropped $180k on an entire new rig that he can live out of. If he chooses to work year-round, makes his deadlines, and takes on bonus-offered loads, he can make double what he spent by the end of the year at the expense of any free time he could've had. Allegedly, he makes about $0.57 to the dollar of your highest earners in the business.

It wouldn't be beyond reason to think the industry is suffering, though, so I agree in that sense. Sign-on bonuses, offering full training with pay, and doing paid advertising 24/7 isn't necessarily the sign of a thriving market. Perhaps it does play a bigger role, and I wonder if anyone is tasked with measuring the amount of drivers who quit versus those who upgrade/buy a new rig?

2. Sharlee01 profile image81
        Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I love your attitude, I hope I catch it... I am keeping my fingers crossed too.

2. CHRIS57 profile image60
      CHRIS57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is part of the "broken supply chain" issue. World economy had come to a halt with the pandemic.

When the pandemic set in and economy faltered, producing and consuming entities became cautious. Producers settled for lower demand and produced less. Those normally in need for supplies were also cautious and ordered less. Transport industry also adapted and kept less cargo capacity available (on land, air, water).

Now all tries to resume to normal and the economic engine starts up but stutters. Has the dynamics of stop and go traffic on a congested highway at rush hour.

There are many more indicators for this development. Currently automakers all over the world suffer from a shortage in microchips. So a two ton car can´t be delivered because a tiny part is not available.

And - what you see off shore Los Angeles, all those cargo ships to be unloaded and waiting for nothing - guess what, the cargo capacity is needed somewhere else on this planet and even worsens the situation worldwide.

With reference to some comments: Nothing is planned on a large scale. Or do you think, traffic jams are planned?

I said planned for, not planned, we intentionally rushed back to the field of commerce. Context is key, friend.

1. CHRIS57 profile image60

Kyler, agreed. "planned for" is like slowing down your car if you know there is a traffic jam 1 mile ahead, no strategical intention, just tactical adaption.

The question is: Do we have a traffic jam (which is gone by nighttime) or do we have a damaged and closed road ahead?

First thought: Just a narrow part of the road ahead, will be freed up after repair.

However for the time being this "road construction" Los Angeles is prominent, but what happens if that obstacle is overcome and the next bottleneck shows up: That bottleneck then called: Cost of energy
          https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/12/sharp-s … rowth.html
          Looks like the limited flow of goods and services is also dampening the price hike on the energy markets. And that price hike is already affecting economy. We can expand this causal chain ad infinitum...

Yes, the economic crisis seems to be worsening faster than ever before. I'm starting to feel the energy prices at the pump, though I'm lucky to have an efficient vehicle that dulls it somewhat. I wonder what the plan for the energy crisis is?

I suppose to clear up my sentiments on, "intentional," from earlier, I feel as if certain problems arise from wanting to keep the goose that lays golden eggs alive. This doesn't make my thought process much clearer, it'd take an entire dissertation to lay it out, but putting it concisely:

"These problems have arisen due to deliberately choosing profit over innovation, and we are reaching a point where innovation will become necessity."

I honestly believe that most problems in the world arise due to a focus on profit, pandering to investors rather than taking some quarterly losses for the R&D department. Then again, I'm economically illiterate, and I'm being vague to the point of muddling my own opinions.

2. Sharlee01 profile image81

This situation may get worse due to hundreds of thousands of businesses to include dock and ship workers are bracing for the Biden administration’s rules on Occupational Safety and Health Administration  (OSHA) mandating  Covid vaccination.  Biden has worked his way around to initiate his mandates that will further affect our workforce.  Job openings are at record highs, and it would seem we can't force people to work.  The mandates will further a worker shortage not only at the ports but throughout our workforce. We have a great shortage of truck drivers, which adds to this problem.

I am pro-vaccine, but it is very much evident people can't be forced to take the vaccine.  Those that don't want to be vaccinated have dug in for the duration...   It would appear this is a "Dammed if we do -Dammed if we don't" situation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/busines … suits.html

3. Sharlee01 profile image81

Here is what  Transportation Secretary than Mayor Pete is doing about the problem. Which has been around for many months now...

The media finally ask Buttigieg in a CNN interview what about the supply chain crisis, he used most of the time to plug President Biden’s infrastructure and Build Back Better plans.  He did get around to saying a task force has been set up to fix the problem and he intends to also hold roundtables to solve the problem., and expressed new expanded hours have been ordered by the president to try to get things moving.

IMO, This is another way of saying  "I have no idea how to fix this: But I hope it looks like I do.  I had all but forgotten Mayor Pete was the new Transportation Secretary. I feel like I live in a bizarro world. 

Does this man have any background in Transportation? I see he has a wonderful education.

Perhaps I put too much faith in our overlords knowing what they're doing, and understanding the consequences of their actions before they take them.

I hope hell Pete knows what he is doing...  The shelves at the market this morning were pretty scary...  I asked a worker I have gotten to know over the years. I assumed the problem has been no help to put the stock out. She said for a few months stock is in short supply. How did someone in Washington, I mean anyone not recognize this problem. At this point, another 25 ships are expected at Port of LA in the next three days.

The more research I do the more I have discovered ships have been backed up for many months back as far as March...  Environmentalists are complaining about the increased pollution this problem is causing.

This is going to be a crisis that will be very hard to solve.

4. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I went on a walk-about with my friend Google to see what I could learn about this issue. And I learned that I don't think this is a national political issue or that the Biden administration is at fault. Yet.

My perception is that the potential for this problem has been in the works for decades. That there seem to be multiple major contributors to the problem, and that there isn't much the government can do, (excepting some bandaid and red tape actions), to fix it. I think the involved industries; primarily shipping and trucking, are going to have to fix it themselves.

GA

Hopefully, I did not imply the shipping backup supply chain problem was Biden's fault.  My OP concentrates on the current problems at the shipping ports.  I have researched a bit on what some feel caused the problem. I found several contributors. It appears there are several causations.

One problem was keeping workers.  The COVID mitigations required sanitizing the heavy equipment at the close of every shift, and workers being dissatisfied with the heavy work. Many workers became ill with COVID and did not return. The shortage of workers seems to be the biggest current problem at this point.

The folks you feel will have to fix it are bracing for another hurdle, that could impact any type of quick fix.

The situation may get worse before they get better, due to port workers and truckers are bracing for the Biden administration’s new rules from Occupational Safety and Health Administration  (OSHA) mandating Covid vaccination.

I agree,  there will be no quick fix to the problem, only get worse. I am more concerned about fixing the problem than what caused it.  Can't imagine if the supply chain slows down further what it will do in regard to inflation.

1. CHRIS57 profile image60

The situation is global.

Just look at the UK and the shortage on truck drivers. And what is amplified in the UK by their Brexit is also happening to a lesser extent in the European Union.

All developed countries have this issue. It is kind of a drawback from keeping economies performing effectively with just in time deliveries..

5. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

With the cursory knowledge I have I think GA is right the situation today, though more desperate, was in the making well before the pandemic with its affects as well as the growing issue of vaccine mandates. A quick peek at Google says a shortage of drivers was noted in 2005 with a shortage of 20,000, which is a national figure. I see weekly truck driver school commercials on TV all the time for years now, which to me indicates a demand. Unfortunately the demand for drivers today has been localized to the port problem. 

American Trucking Association at 2019

https://www.trucking.org/news-insights/ … d-forecast

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)