Say You

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (45 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 18 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/16116572.jpg
    With the crime wave occurring in American cities, what is your solution to drastically reduce the crime wave?   Is Liberalism the cause of this crime wave?   Should juveniles be tried & jailed as adults?  Should there be a reinstitutionalization of the death penalty?  Is there a STRONG CORRELATION between liberalism & the increase in crime?

1. Sharlee01 profile image84
      Sharlee01posted 18 months agoin reply to this

I think at this point the only way to help cut down on crime is to keep bail in place, and in some crimes make the bail high. More police in communities that need them to help keep the people at best feel a bit safer. I think many that don't deal with community crime are quick to give advice, and should not, they don't have the fears of those that live in crime areas.

I do feel liberal ideologies are one of the issues that are making crime worse. The liberals have made the poor a big experiment, they are trying out all their liberal ideas in regard to cutting down crime on them. Because ultimately if one looks at the facts, crime is higher in communities where the poor live. I think the death penalty should be left to the states. Let the people vote, and reflect their state's majority feelings on the death
      penalty.

I feel the liberals have a big correlation to why we are seeing an increase in crime. They started with their cries to defund the police and no bail BS and hoping to have social workers employed to help stop crime.

I think at this point they have or are starting to flip flops on their great experiment due to the mess in the cities that imposed their no-bail laws and defunded the police.  Their very attitudes in my view have encouraged crime, due to the lawbreaker knowing they will not even be held on bail.

gmwilliamsposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Great point made.  However, I feel that bail should be increased significantly as most of the criminals can't afford such bail.   Also have tougher prison sentences for violent crimes e.g. 10 years.  Any juvenile who commits such violent crimes should be tried as adults.  Prisons must be more stringent so that there is fear in going to prisons.   Prisons are too soft these days.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
          Fayetteville Fayeposted 18 months agoin reply to this

The no bail initiative in some states only has to do with offenses that are eligible to be released on cash bail.
          It's not for murderers. We are talking only about certain offenses.
          Consider that two different individuals are caught for shoplifting or even a DWI. Both are booked and taken to jail and are eligible for cash bail.  One may be able to quickly post the bail and therefore be released. Why should the other sit in jail, while taxpayers pay an inordinate amount of money to maintain in a jail until they go before a judge??
          In the meantime while that shoplifter sits in jail for months, he has lost his job, maybe his house has gone into foreclosure or he's been evicted from his apartment. This just doesn't make sense. 
          But that's only my opinion.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image59

Why have prisons at all? Maybe just execute all criminals  pretty much immediately after they are adjudicated.  Especially the juveniles because God knows they can't be rehabilitated in any way and why pay for them to be in jail 60 or 70 years right?
          Iran would probably be a good country to model our penal system on.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Do you think our current penal system protects our citizens from criminal actions?  How would you improve the system, with that goal in mind rather than simply turning criminals loose to repeat their crimes?

I think you need more prevention. I think there are a lot of common threads that run through the lives of criminals and we can probably at least try to address them before they become criminals.  Drugs are obviously a factor. My state, for example has a raging opioid addiction problem that is not being addressed in any meaningful manner. How many commit crime to get their drugs?  But aside from drugs we have other problems in childhood that go unnoticed and unaddressed also and voila years later we see a number of these individuals become criminals.
              Maybe we could just try some prevention alongside punishment. 
              The punitive- only method doesn't seem to prevent a whole lot of crime. Unless maybe we go to the hangings in the city square, cutting off hands for stealing , televised executions and the like. Maybe that would work?  But even if we heap on all the prevention and all the punishment we can, we will still have criminals.  I believe it's just in some folks make up.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
                Kathryn L Hillposted 18 months agoin reply to this

The opioid problem is baffling to me. Why are people, (the youth?) not protecting their own bodies, minds and souls. Why are they willing to destroy that which gives them life and joy.
                It is not clear to me.
                Can anyone explain the high drug use in this country?

2. wilderness profile image94

I agree that it is the makeup of some people.  They are either amoral or simply defying authority to commit crimes.

But they are a minority.  As a child growing up we didn't have crime in our small town and never locked doors.  What happened?  Is it a case of drifting away from childhood control?  Too much free time for kids?  Does it not begin to surface until adulthood (I don't think so)?  Was it the "no spank" theories - no negative consequences for bad behavior, starting at a very young age?  Somewhere we've gone wrong as a society to create these criminals and then allow it to continue.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
                  Ken Burgessposted 18 months agoin reply to this

If there are no consequences, there is nothing to deter a person from stealing, harming, or doing as they please.

It really is that simple.

Nurturing helps a child, and also knowing there is someone there who will punish as well.  Parenting is important.

But even well parented children will go astray if society does not place upon its citizens consequences for inappropriate behavior.

As I noted in my initial post in this thread, an example I gave of the man who assaulted a 92 year old woman, had been arrested at least a 100 times prior.

That person is obviously a bane to all society, a threat to all people, and does not belong on the streets. Its too bad we don't have a Siberia.

1. wilderness profile image94

"But even well parented children will go astray if society does not place upon its citizens consequences for inappropriate behavior."

I don't know about that.  It is not fear of jail that keeps me from murdering my neighbors or even just stealing their car.  Not even from minor shoplifting. 

"That person is obviously a bane to all society, a threat to all people, and does not belong on the streets."

So the left, particularly the far left, leaves them on the streets because it would be cruel to jail them.  While that same action is cruel to all that he hurts.  What is it that we refuse to recognize or acknowledge that very simple truth?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"If there are no consequences, there is nothing to deter a person from stealing, harming, or doing as they please."

Most people do not rob, steal and act like loony criminals.

There its something more to it.

We are, people are, willing to do the right thing.
                    What happens when a person no longer wants to get along or act harmoniously, pleasing his parents, teachers and society?

How is it dogs are the gentle creatures they are, as pets, while coyotes, running free, are not?

Let me say that coyotes are not criminals.
                    Are those in gangs more like coyotes or criminals?

2. Ken Burgess profile image77

Speaking to the crime wave aspect, well lets nail that down somewhat... are we talking about these types of examples?:

Los Angeles ‘Flash Mob’ Loots 7-Eleven
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPCpmwUasEA

Randomly attacked 92-year-old woman now terrified in NYC
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jfN1kXPiak
      The assailant had more than 100 prior arrests, free on the streets.

Why are they becoming routine in states like CA and NY?

Crimes are not persecuted.
      Criminals are not placed in jail.
      Cops are told not to arrest looters, they risk their jobs doing so.
      Society tells portions of society that they are owed reparations...
      reparations includes the right to loot and steal according to some.

Yes, you see these problems far more prevalent in Democrat controlled states, you see the failings of what until recently was considered norms of American society (Power and Water readily available, Garbage disposal, safe streets free of drug users and homeless).

You cannot expect Law and Order when you do not enforce the Law and when you do not let police maintain Order.

So true.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77

Well lets try a little positiveness, this story is a small ray of hope:

Tiny home villages pop up for LA's homeless
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8odsD2A1FE

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 18 months ago

"Is Liberalism the cause of this crime wave?"
    The crime wave is caused by what? 
    "Should juveniles be tried & jailed as adults?"
    Juveniles are being bad ... why?
    "Should there be a reinstitutionalization of the death penalty?"
    Is the death penalty a good deterrent? To which types of criminals?
    "Is there a STRONG CORRELATION between liberalism & the increase in crime?"
    How so?

To answer these questions would take a lot of research.
    Why is this research so difficult to do? Or is it?
    Can these questions be answered?
    Honestly and truthfully?
    Factually?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Let us begin with the Motivation Factor.
    Are "the criminals" being paid?
    Are they from this country?
    Are they trained to strike via grabbing and smashing?
    Are they being inspired to strike random people or specific targets?
    For specific reasons?

Maybe we are not witnessing Criminal Action but offensive action as in
    War Action.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Are they being let back out onto the street to purposefully continue their effective actions as soldiers for Someone Else's Agenda/War ? ? ?

Someone needs to find out.
    How could we find out?
    ... somehow communicate directly with the "criminals," themselves.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"My state, for example has a raging opioid addiction problem that is not being addressed in any meaningful manner." F

What is a good suggestion as far as "addressing?"

Availability of more rehabilitation programs.  I often take in  as a foster home  babies are born with fetal alcohol syndrome and drugs in their system on an emergency basis. When I follow up with their caseworkers, their lawyers and the like I see that these women overwhelmingly can't get into treatment.  Of course others just avoid it.  What led these women to such destitute lives? Probably a whole host of factors. Poverty, abuse, neglect, mental health issues and developmental disabilities.  Sometimes, I think that with a little more support, these women could pull through with better outcomes.

"a little more support"
        Such as?

"...these women can't get into treatment (and rehabilitation programs.) Of course, others just avoid it."
        What sort of treatment/rehab and what is the average age of these women/mothers?

What caused their "poverty, abuse, neglect, mental health issues and developmental disabilities?"

Support, meaning counseling and programs to help them overcome addiction and the pattern of abusive relationships I often see.  This is just my own very little, personal experience. I claim no expertise in this area whatsoever. I'm a safe place to land for a lot of kids who would otherwise sleep on a couch at a police station.  The ages? I would say generally between 25 and 35. What caused their issues? I just see it as a cycle. A cycle of drug abuse, poverty, lack of Education (some drop out even before high school) it just seems to perpetuate itself. Especially when Americans or us as a country turn a blind eye and don't really seem to care.  As a people, we're not very empathetic. Some people think absolutely nothing of abandoning their baby in a box at the fire station or even a gas station restroom

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

... so mothers are producing criminals?

Society is producing criminals. Not every child who is born drug addicted, abused and neglected in multiple ways will go on to repeat the cycle but some sure do. Look at the bios of all of our child Mass shooters. I don't think many of them had lives of rainbows and sunshine. 
      But hey as Americans that doesn't bother us, we don't really care we're sort of becoming emotionally bankrupt people and we pass that along

SOCIETY

How so?

When there isn't help, when there isn't a real safety net for people they fall into disarray or at least some of them do.

what would a "real safety net," for mothers 25 to 35 who "fall into disarray" and teens on drugs, look like?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

So, you take in babies AND teens.
    You have found that American mothers from 25 to 35 yrs of age endure self perpetuating negative cycles of
    1. Drug abuse
    2. Poverty
    3. Lack of education
    You say, Americans are not empathetic to the plight of teens and mothers and, furthermore, some (American) girls think nothing of abandoning their babies in a box at the fire station or a gas station restroom.

And you have witnessed this where you live.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"Is it a case of drifting away from childhood control?  Too much free time for kids?  Does it not begin to surface until adulthood (I don't think so)?  Was it the "no spank" theories - no negative consequences for bad behavior, starting at a very young age?  Somewhere we've gone wrong as a society to create these criminals and then allow it to continue."

... and what do you mean by "somewhere?" Wilderness?

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

... so kids are spoiled AND angry.
    ~ does spoiling them make them bad and angry to point of drugs, criminal activity and disrespect of society and adults?

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The fact is, when kids have neither mother or father to bond to, they become angry.

Maybe, it's because, just to maintain a home, fathers have to work more than one job and mothers have to work, as well,  Mothers no longer stay home and lovingly raise their kids.

So, the kids bond to screen technology, chat rooms and internet entertainment. They are raising themselves in a weird other-world where nothing is concrete and real. They learn their school lessons on computers to the point they barely know how to write letters and numbers. They are being dumbed down and all they know is taking what they want when they want it, because that's the only way moms and dads show their love: material crap.

~ Maybe...

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Are Jihadists more like coyotes or criminals?
    Antifa?

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

There is more to it than this:

" the only thing that keeps them from taking what they want, or hurting who they want is knowledge that they may go to jail for it."

Are we not (also) discussing prevention of the making of criminals? Is Liberal ideology involved in their development from birth on ... perhaps??

Possible Scenarios for the Creation of Criminals:

1. Criminals are produced by Mothers/Fathers who are unprepared for and/or untalented at parenting. Is it possible that children who become criminals are the ones who have unraveled from their original perfect state of babyhood? Little by little, as their needs were not met, they became more and more resentful, feeling unloved and/or unworthy.

2. By society who is callous to the needs of the youth. School systems that do not teach how to live or survive in the modern world where utilizing financial institutions to manage money, job, career and family is vital. By teachers, parents and counselors who do not introduce the youth to the vastness of today's financial world, sound economic principles and the value of American way which of course, involves utilizing the free market system. Are they taught how to tap into entrepreneurial opportunities?

3. By souls with black hearts which were brought forth from the astral realms from whence they came. These are souls who have serious left-over karma. I remember a boy with the last name of Weed in our elementary school. From the time he was in first grade he caused trouble. And he even looked like a little criminal, with a snarl on his little face.

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

4. Children who were never infused with the proper boundaries set for the proper reasons. The golden rule, "Do unto Others as You would have Others do unto You,"must be taught when the child is in early stages of development. During the first six years, he absorbs his world and it's values in an an indelible way.

if God's moral laws are not introduced at this point, the child grows up to be an unprincipled man. He will do anything his heart so desires ...

with no ...

CONSCIENCE.

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

5. Rough treatment by the law. Teens who simply and mistakenly get caught up with the wrong crowd have a record after the first time they steal something. Perhaps they are slapped around, called terrible names, treated like criminals and mercilessly shamed. They are not given the help and guidance they need at a crucial point in their development.

Instead, they should be instructed as to how stealing and theft can lead to other crimes. They should be shown how this lifestyle will take them out of a society where many benefits are to be had and that they will miss out on the good things life has to offer.  They should be warned that, instead, they will have nothing but the miseries of jail time, bad reputations and a total loss of self esteem.

15. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

6. Drugs. Home drugs lead to street drugs. Kids that were raised with pharmaceuticals in the home are introduced to a world of drug normalcy ...
    This drug-world is far from normal.

Instead, families should be living correctly, knowing how to eat for energy and health. Parents should impart ways to exercise and keep stress levels low. Parents should also provide avenues for their offspring to fulfill their dreams, hopes and ambitions.

You've  pretty much hit the nail on the head with a lot of points. I wish as many politicians cared about the foster care system and what is happening to these often abused, neglected, developmentally disabled, psychologically scarred children that Americans do not want . I wish they cared about them even a fraction as much as they do the fetus.
      There's a lot of suffering going on out here to fully formed, self-aware, conscious children.  Politicians ignore them for the most part. It's easier to focus on the fetus and abortion, it's a no-cost talking point. Meanwhile we have children growing up in sterile group home settings. Is it any wonder that the cycle is just perpetuated?   Americans would rather continue to play partisan politics  rather  focus on things that actually matter it's sickening.  Politicians have turned a lot of people into fools. Emotionally vacant, morally bankrupt fools.  Anyone who is deeply invested into the anti-abortion movement should be just as deeply invested into holding your representatives accountable for taking care of these unwanted children.

The solution is no sex before marriage.
        ... and maybe pertinent classes required before marriage.

Really, we just need common sense and kindness all around. And where is TRUE love when you need it?

What is needed is RESPONSIBILITY/ACCOUNTABILITY all around.   If one is to indulge in sex, use contraception.   Also one should be in one's twenties before indulging in sex.   Teenagers are WAY TOO YOUNG & IMMATURE to even indulge in sex.  The teenage years are years that people should prepare themselves educationally.   This also applies to the college years.

When one is in his/her twenties, h/she should explore relationships because at that time, h/she is mature enough to comprehend the mechanisms of his/her body & sexuality.   Also at that time, h/she is exploring career options.   Furthermore, NO ONE should get married before h/she is in HIS/HER 30s.   At that period, h/she should be financially, emtionally, & psychologically ready for marriage &/or parenthood.   Addendum: if one can't afford children, DON'T HAVE THEM, DON'T HAVE THEM.   

There should be parenting classes & parenting licenses for those who wish to be parents.  Too many unqualified people are parents & look at the deleterious results of that.  Yes, there should be tests & licensing to be parents.   Lastly, if couples elect to have children, have 1-2 children.  Studies authenticate that children thrive best in small families where there are the most cultural & socioeconomic opportunities.   In large families, children are exposed to neglect, abuse, impoverishment & other pathologies which lead to crime & other negative life outcomes.

2. wilderness profile image94

"The solution is no sex before marriage."

A solution is no solution to anything at all if it won't work.  And that one hasn't worked for hundreds or thousands of years.  There is zero reason to think it will now, and every reason to think it will not.

... shoot for the stars and you'll end up near the moon ... something like that?
            We should all aspire toward the ideal ... why the heck NOT?

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

AND where is true love when you need it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)