jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)

Can anyone defend irresponsibility?

1. EyesAndEars profile image60
    EyesAndEarsposted 7 years ago

Seriously here.  think about it.  In 1900 there were 16 billionaires in teh US.  In 2000 there were 2.  When minimum wage was set, in 1938, $0.25 an hour was determined to be a sufficient income to provide necessities.  in 2007 (the most recent year I could find info for) 7.25 an hour (todays minimum wage) did not meet the needs for 46% of the US population.  and yet we are in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.  Whose fault is it?

1. SunSeven profile image63
      SunSevenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There were no billionairs in 1900. (depending on how it is calculated, a million US dollars in 1900 is equivalent to US dollars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire)

EyesAndEarsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/business/200 … APHIC.html

take the wealth measurement in terms of a percentage of the economy

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you are going to come with really weird and completely unbelievable statistics you need to post some references. Also some kind of logic in your statements would help.

i was under the impression that promoting my own hubs was 'forbidden' territory.

2. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

So that is what this is all about?

i wanted to start a conversation about it, cuz it's something i'm very angry about.  what do we do now??? kinda thing....

3. Will Apse profile image88

What exactly are you angry about?

i thought my post made that kinda obvious. 

we are in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, which obviously anyone earning minimum wage did not cause, who will be held accountable for their irresponsible actions? and why is it taking so D@mn long??

2. Rafini profile image87
      Rafiniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You have got to be kidding, right?  Where have you been since the stock market crashed from over 1400 in 2007 to less than 7000 in 2008 (9?)?  Whose fault is it? 

I blame the crooks of Wall Street who steal, ahem, 'earn' as much if not more than Bernie Madoff.

4. Will Apse profile image88

Eyes and Ears says

we are in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, which obviously anyone earning minimum wage did not cause, who will be held accountable for their irresponsible actions? and why is it taking so D@mn long??

Who in your opinion is irresponsible?

I mean I genuinely don't have a clue what you are talking about. Is it the billionaires? If you can't be clear in what you say how can anyone agree or disagree?

well, i wasn't looking for agreement or disagreemtn, what i was looking for was a disudccion on irresponsibility in Washington and on Wall Sstreet.  Make sense now?

5. Obscure Divine profile image57
    Obscure Divineposted 7 years ago

Huh?  Say again?  Need money or something?  Hate the world?  Yeah, the monetary obsession sucks; I agree about that...

but, who is responsible for the financial mess the world is in?  how are we going to hold htem accountable?  it seems to me none of themlost their jobs, except for the institutions that went bankrupt.  The people who put us into this crisis are still at their lucritive jobs, earning more per year thanI will earn in a lifetime.  Isn't it time we held them accountable for their actions?  Or lack of appropriate actions?

1. Obscure Divine profile image57
        Obscure Divineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It is corruption via government & big biz bad-asses...

The people who put us into this crisis are still at their lucritive jobs, earning more per year thanI will earn in a lifetime.  Isn't it time we held them accountable for their actions?  Or lack of appropriate actions?

so what are we, the people, going to do about it?  we, the people, are supposed to be the ones in charge.  are we not?

for the people, of the people, by the people

You can rebel, but I doubt if you'll find enough of an army that has a spine anymore; this country gets weaker by the day...

seriously?  you don't care anymore?  thats the impression I'm getting from your post....

Actually, I do care.  I'd praise a civil war and/or one against my own country any day,  before I'd look toward foreign affairs.  But, you're dealing with lame folks without a spine, when it comes to the majority!  I'm just trying to be nice, since I'm on HubPages!

i don't understand the being nice reference.  whats to be nice about when we are talking about a global depression like the world has never seen?

I'm talking about this website, numbnuts!  Just collect lots of guns and sharp blades and become a vigilante!  It's that simple!  Fun-fun!  big_smile

6. andromida profile image76
    andromidaposted 7 years ago

I guess you all know what is economic recession and why it happens.Bankers make it happen whether you accept it or not? Almost all the economic recession are human engineered.

on purpose?  why?  what would be the point in it?  irresponsibility, if you ask me.  I want to see responsible people in charge, for a change.

working