in support for our national day of prayer...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 13 years ago

regardless of your individual religion or beliefs in a Creator/Source...the power of your mind to believe and take the steps to implement your power to uphold civilization is imperative...the US Constitution portrayed that power of the individual, BUT that power only comes "with the Creator", it is NOT in and of the human self only

here is one form of tribute for our national day of prayer and that power we have in "God"

http://patriotpost.us/alexander/2010/05 … r-creator/

2. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

Religion is a private matter in the United States, not the domain of public policy or government.

1. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure, but what is wrong with recognizing the role faith has played in the development of our nation and our society?

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's unnecessary. If religion/faith is part of what you use to shape your ethos, so be it. There is no reason to commemmorate it at the governmental level.

Again, it's a private matter. There are plenty of decent people who contribute to our society who are not religious and who do not pray; there are also plenty of people who are religious and who do pray and who don't do anything good.

If we only did what was necessary, what kind of society would we be? Is it necessary to commemorate anything or anybody? Is it necessary to name roads, bridges, and buildings after politicians? Is Thanksgiving necessary? Sometimes we do things not out of necessity but to celebrate the things that make us...us.

Sure, absolutely. But the government doesn't need to get involved.

Well they do if the want the christian vote! wink

Haha, yes. Back to politics! smile

2. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bravo smile

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
            Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't make 'us' 'us'. There were atheists in america in colonial times, and have been ever since.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

My personal opinion on this topic is that the President of the United States should not be implementing anything of this form.

He has not a right to strip a person of individual right, and NO the supposed myth of a creator is irrelevant when rights are concerned, since religion is a private matter in the first place.

To make a National Day of Prayer is to diminish a person's individual right of choice. America is NOT a christian nation, never has been and never will be.

The diversity of religions and the freedom people have is on an individual basis. If one wants to pray, that is their individual choice to do so, but to mandate a specific day for it is foolish.

Not to mention, there are already plenty of foolish holidays in America, based on foolish religious myths.

4. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I'd prefer it if government spent its time on policy not promoting religion.  We have terrorists leaving bombs laying about and lots of folks ringing our doorbells with their pamphlets and beliefs.  I hardly think politicians need to add to that.

5. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

America was a God fearing country.  The founders of this great country were religous believers.  America I believe because of it's faith in God as illustrated on the back of the dollar bills and on the American dime as well as the American quarter before they get around to removing it "IN GOD WE TRUST" allowed this country not to suffer the ills of other nations.  When Americans were strong believers the streets of America for the most part were safe to walk day or night.  When Americans believed it was not our own doing but the will of God that allowed crops to grow, wide and plentiful.

America has turn her back on God and now the streets aren't safe for anybody to walk down, suspicion is everywhere, morality seems to be a thing of the past.  God can't be proven by man but in the end if God does exist it's going to be really bad day for all those who rejected and denied him.

My prayers are for all of mankind because we all need them.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People were not any more "god fearing" back then than they are now.  The existence of god was as questioned then as now, just as it was questioned when folks were arguing over the existence or non existence of the polytheistic gods thousands of years ago.

To pretend that everyone in the 18th and early 19th century was an unquestioning devotee of ONE religion is absurd and shows only how unquestioning (and unread) that opinion is.

People are NO different today than they were back then.  At all.  Period.

1. Buck Steiner profile image57
        Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"People are NO different today than they were back then.  At all.  Period."

And you know this how exactly?

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I won't give you any proof, but based on my life experience I tend to agree with Shades on this. Technology changes, people stay pretty much the same. As gullible as few thousand years back smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image79

Because I read.

6. SparklingJewel profile image67

my point, as stated in what i wrote in the opening post, is that there is NO power, NO POWER FOR ANYTHING with out a belief in one's Source/God/Creator/Allah/whatever you want to call it.

everything is Energy...Energy is God...Energy made all things and people...without a belief of love and acceptance of that gift of Energy...there is no power to further create one's life or civilization...

The Constitution was relaying that to us...through the simple words that the Founding Fathers knew, all they knew were the forms of "God" that they had reference to in their religions and belief systems

if we don't support that "faith" and continually recognize that "power" in a belief of a Source from whence we came...we have no power...all will pass away...humans are not self supporting, Energy of "God" is required for good to continue

7. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

WOW! Boy did this subject become a waste of time. Enjoy! hmm

8. SparklingJewel profile image67

you all are still dancing around my point...which I understand is not clear, nor a part of every day thought...that is part of  my point

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

I think your point is that you believe that if we don't acknowledge some sort of sentient higher being, then whatever energy beams are transmitted to us by this sentient higher being will be cut off.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent distillation.

9. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

" But it is only proposed that I should recommend, not prescribe a day of fasting & prayer. That is, that I should indirectly assume to the US an authority over religious exercises which the Constitution has directly precluded them from.... I do not believe it is for the interest of religion to invite the civil magistrate to direct it's exercises, it's discipline, or it's doctrines; nor of the religious societies that the general government should be invested with the power of effecting any uniformity of time or matter among them. Fasting & prayer are religious exercises. The enjoining them an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for itself the times for these exercises, & the objects proper for them, according to their own particular tenets; and this right can never be safer than in their own hands, where the constitution has deposited it. I am aware that the practice of my predecessors may be quoted.... Be this as it may, every one must act according to the dictates of his own reason, & mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the US and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents. "

-- Thomas Jefferson, to Samuel Miller, January 23, 1808

Good quote, wise man.

He owned slaves. He should be completely disregarded!!!  It doesn't matter how sage his advice, how keen his insight, or how nearly prophetic he was. Retroactive morality is more important.

I'm hoping that's sarcasm. I missed that thread is my guess. What genius said that? Please tell me yer quoting someone else.

Moi?  Sarcastic?  Mais, non!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRFZj3FWRrw

(Got this off that sarcasm forum thread... pretty damn funny.  SO is the one in the elevator lol.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)