Proof that the General Public has no Idea about Health Care Reform Law

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(May 5, 2010) -  One-in-five Americans (21%) and nearly two-in-five (39%) uninsured Americans say they would wait for health reform legislation to be fully implemented before researching and buying health insurance, according to a new survey conducted in April 2010 by Opinion Research Corporation and sponsored by eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH).

The survey also reveals that many consumers expect reforms to be fully implemented in 2010, including many provisions that are not scheduled to begin until 2014. Elements of reform scheduled to begin in 2014 include: access to private insurance regardless of any pre-existing medical conditions, the creation of government marketplaces or "exchanges," subsidies to help cover the cost of health insurance, and a requirement to have insurance. Nearly one third of adults surveyed (31%) believe all of the major health reform programs will be available to the public before the end of 2012.

The top reforms slated for 2014 that people are expecting in 2010 include: more than half (60%) believe insurance companies will no longer be able to deny their insurance application because of a pre-existing medical condition, nearly two-fifths (39%) expect government exchanges to be up and running, more than one-third (37%) expect to get subsidies to help them buy health insurance, and one-in-three (33%) believes consumers will be required to buy insurance. Among the uninsured, more than half (62%) believe that their applications for health insurance can't be denied because of a pre-existing medical condition in 2010, and over half of the uninsured in the survey (56%) also believe government exchanges and subsidies will be available in 2010.

Of those that were uninsured, nearly half (44%) believe there is "no risk" in going without health insurance coverage until government programs become available. Among young adults, one-in-three (37%) shares this point of view. Overall, more than one-in-four Americans (27%) believes there is "no risk" in going without health insurance coverage until government programs become available.

"This study reflects what we're hearing from consumers every day in our customer care center," said Gary Lauer, president and CEO of eHealth, Inc. "A significant portion of the population has unrealistic expectations for health insurance reform and its short-term impact on their lives and health. We believe health reform holds promise for a better system, but the risk of waiting four years until it's fully implemented could be severe. A study published last year in the Journal of Public Health showed people without health insurance were 40 percent more likely to die than those with insurance. And, aside from the health risks, the financial risks people face if they have an uninsured medical expense can also be disastrous. Americans need to know that they have health insurance options available today that can help protect them and their families."

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

"We believe health reform holds promise for a better system, but the risk of waiting four years until it's fully implemented could be severe. A study published last year in the Journal of Public Health showed people without health insurance were 40 percent more likely to die than those with insurance"

what if you simply can not afford insurance?

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

So...why do all these people believe these fallacies?

Because the Government has failed to communicate the truth about Health Care Reform!  Who's fault is it?  Who's to blame?  Fix the problem!!

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how do you even know they ARE fallacies? I saw a bunch of numbers stating what people believe. No real contradictions to those beliefs other than "people without insurance are more likely to die then those with..." or something like that.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile oops, my bad! 

I was going by my own beliefs in what Health Care Reform meant - and it sure didn't mean I was going to be forced to buy Health Care when I can't afford it!!

1. profile image0

? I was saying I agre with you, I htink? The problem is, we have no clue if they aer fallacies or not. Where I live, no one even knows the bill passed!! If it werent for HP I wouldnt know. Its stupid to say..the public knwow nothing....OF COURSE THEY DONT we havent been told anything!!!

yup.  exactly. 

I wonder when it became the responsibility of the general public to discover what Washington is up to, rather than it being the responsibility of Washington to inform the general public what their doing.....?

1. profile image0

no idea. maybe about the time the general public no longer wanted to be held responsable for thier own actions?

good answer!!  lol  but, at the same time I don't like that answer....sounds like the answer is.....it's always been that way!  lol

4. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

The article just points out that people really have no idea of what is in the Law and when and how it applies to them. The Government has made no effort to inform the public.

1. profile image0

well, I would have to agree with that. As far as I know, your right, there hasn't been a whole lot of info out. But then agian, I sort of live in the middle of nowhere and it could just be me...

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Well, Mike, in all fairness, I'm not sure our elected officials themselves understand everything in the law!

6. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

I seem to recall after Health Care passed, President Obama was doing town hall meetings and talking about the law. Naturally he came under fire - I recall a particularly sarcastic editorial in a popular newsletter GOPUSA - slamming Obama for promoting and educating HCR.

And now the conservative complaint is that people don't understand what's in the bill. There's just no pleasing some people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)