Immigration - Obama Saves America Yet Again

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (53 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Meeting Another Great Challenge: Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Good morning,

In a time of unprecedented challenges, President Obama has risen to meet them in unprecedented ways. And today, the President will be addressing yet another issue our nation has faced for decades -- our broken immigration system. In a major speech at American University at 10:45 a.m. EDT, the President will make the clear case for comprehensive immigration reform.

The President believes that we must have a practical, common-sense approach that reflects our heritage and our history -- as a nation of immigrants and a nation of laws. Government must be accountable for enforcing the law, businesses that seek unfair advantages over competitors must be accountable for exploiting the system, and those who break the law must be accountable as well.

But as always, the President will put it more eloquently than I can, so tune in for the speech streamed live at WhiteHouse.gov at 10:45 a.m. EDT. If you miss it, at 1:00 p.m. EDT, you can still join Cecilia Muñoz, one of the President's closest advisors on this issue, who will be taking questions from Americans all over the country in a unique online roundtable.

The President has already signed the Recovery Act, historic reforms of our health care system, and soon the most comprehensive financial reform since the Great Depression. He has also made clear that passing comprehensive energy and climate legislation to make America the leader in the clean energy economy is an urgent need.

But the President did not come into office only to leave pressing problems for the next President. Virtually everybody in America agrees that our immigration system is broken -- it is only a matter of all political sides coming to the table and mustering the political will to solve the problem. Neither of the extreme approaches -- deportation of 11 million undocumented workers on the one hand, or amnesty for those that broke the law on the other -- is going to work. We have to work together.

Sincerely,

David Axelrod
    Senior Advisor to the President

2. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

obama's 'democrat party expansion plan' will not pass anytime this year.

Meanwhile, he will continue to willfully shirk his sworn duty.

3. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Sab Oh - consistent as ever - How are you smile

1. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hangin' in there, thanks. And yourself?

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Just the title of this forum, almost made me puke up my dinner. hmm

1. saddlerider1 profile image58
      saddlerider1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not even from the good old USA and I ran to my toilet to puke:0-)  I couldn't hold back my Taco

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

2. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too.

5. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

what a joke.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

As the Bush tribe chimes in...

1. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bush was a joke too. There isn't a politician in the U.S. that isn't a self serving jack a$$ who is full of hot air. None of them tell you the truth and none of them do anything that doesn't further benefit their own pockets at the expense of the working class in this country.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So....You're doing something to improve the situation as you see it?

If not, it's just bitchin'

1. Ohma profile image61

I would like to say that you are being fairly presumptuous but since I know you also live in the U.S. and are likely bright enough to figure out that the working class in this country has not had a voice that mattered in politics for a long time bitchin' is all we got left and thank goodness they have not figured out a way to tax that.

1. saddlerider1 profile image58
            saddlerider1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

All I will add to this is BRAVO, HEAR HEAR for the working class.

1. Ohma profile image61

Thank- you Saddlerider

2. Cagsil profile image71

The working class?

Do you think "billionaires" do not work to make their money?
              Do you think the "rich" do not work to make their money either?

There are plenty of "rich" and "billionaire" status type people who put in 40 hour work weeks, because they care about their business and want to ensure that it runs properly, and isn't in the hands of someone else to do with as they please.

The working class? The term is outdated, misused and completely misrepresented by those who feel abused or wronged in some manner.

Please, the working class consists of anyone who is a citizen of the U.S. and works within our Economic system.

That means, even the poor, middle and upper social standings fall into it? Thus, leaving to question why use the term? See, what I mean. smile

"There are plenty of "rich" and "billionaire" status type people who put in 40 hour work weeks, because they care about their business and want to ensure that it runs properly, and isn't in the hands of someone else to do with as they please."

40? In a great many cases 50 or 60 is more like it.

And your point being? I was only use 40 hours as an example to demonstrate "working" class.

I took you for being smarter than your post indicates. Oh well, I am only human. Enjoy.

You bristle easily

Hey Ron, be careful.

Hey Ohma, not to tread on your words, because much of it is true, what you say, however, the volume of the people actually taking action is what is referenced by Ron.

The overall point is if more people took an active part in making politics truthful, by holding candidates accountable for their actions, then Congress and all the other morons running the country would not be in office, because the people would constantly vote them out and no one would have seniority.

If people seriously took their citizenship more to heart, then there would be even more people physically doing something to change the things happening. Unfortunately, as Ron said- If you are not, then it is just b**ching about, which does no good.

It might help make you feel better, but in the overall picture it helps nothing else get accomplished.

3. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You go, girl!! All we have left: bitchin' and votin'!

You don't even see that you agreed with Ohma and disagreed with her in the same statement. Interesting.... lol

Ditto.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Nothing was presumed, it was an honest (though admittedly needling) question.  If you start with the false assumption that you understand the motives of everyone who spends their life in public service, and that those motives are self-serving, you'll waste a lot of your time----just bitchin'.

If you take the more reasonable approach and realize that at least some of these folks really want to make things better, you can direct your efforts more wisely.

Become a positive force for change or a lonely troll; your choice.

Tonight Karl Rove was so ticked off that Obama is trying to claim the border is more secure than ever, in like 20 years?, and the inference is that it is due to him.  Per Rove, Bush multiplied the forces on our borders, Bush is responsible for the better conditions on our border today -- not BHO - he's done nothing.

7. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Cags you know I respect you and what you have to say. I am sorry that we are of differing opinions on this. All the unified voices in the country can not get past one major problem.
    The Electoral College.
    Unless and until that particular problem is handled the politicians will remain firmly in control of the country.
    (Handling this problem would at this stage require a few honest politicians that truly believe they work for us. Good Luck finding them.)

But that is where you are wrong about the Electoral College.

Believe it or not, with enough voices from the citizens, that can be forced into change.

1. Ohma profile image61

But see that is the problem. (Forcing a change) You can force the change but it never sticks. Kind of like forcing an addict into rehab. It will not work until the addict makes the choice himself.
        Even if you could get enough people to join together and force the change now, the allure of the seedier side of politics will drag it right back.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not kidding!  A few years ago the citizens of Idaho voted, through a statewide referendum, to have term limits for state legislators.  As soon as said legislators came back from (Christmas, I think) vacation they voted to negate the new law approved by the citizenry and put it back to what it was.

Most even got re-elected the next election.

Ohma, you're a sweetheart, but really, are you trying to compare being an addict to politics? Please.

The elected officials of the U.S. are required to do as the people say, otherwise, if united, all of them could lose their jobs. The electoral college is simply a tool too prevent the people from not voting, which could stop government.

The words of the "electoral college" is what needs to be forced into change or another system put in it's place. That is what you are missing and it can only be done by HUGE supported voice of the people. The politicians will not want to change it and nor will business, but the voice of the people is what is required to make it change, so it benefits the people.

If you have 80% of people united for change of it, the seedier side of politics will most certainly try to fight back, however, the end result is that the best interest of the public is to be serviced and providing 80% did scream about it, there would be no court in the U.S. to stop it from happening.

1. Ohma profile image61

Yes I did

I did not realize you where such an idealist.

Politicians are all addicts! Addicted to money, power, fame, you name it, and just like any other addict they will do whatever it takes to keep their high going.

Well, since you want to put that way, I will leave you with a statement made from a TV show I recently watched....

Everyone IS addict. Addicted to their own past.

Many spend their entire life addicted to their past and cannot move forward, because they cannot see that they are addicted to the past.

1. Ohma profile image61

Yes in all honesty I would agree that we are all addicted to something, however most of us are not in a position for our addictions to affect such a large number of people.

2. Zina0505 profile image58
            Zina0505posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was browsing through the web to search for other individuals who are fully aware of the façade that we are currently experiencing in this country. I’m appalled with the hypocrisy of our governmental system & their representatives; constantly claiming that is the voice of the citizens of this so called “Great Country” that can make a difference in our system. The leaders of our country have made sure to create a society of inept, in order for them to guarantee that only a small elite group would have total control without any questions asked. If our society is ignorant to what’s really happening within the roots of our government, they will not question any decisions made no matter if it leads our country to destruction. On that note I would like to reply to the comment you previously posted regarding that “the voice of the people is what is required to make it change, in order to benefit the people”. Being that you seem to be a knowledgeable individual; what would you suggest we do in order to achieve this 80% of citizens to unite & scream so there would be no court we can finally make this change as you stated. It’s very easy to say what needs to be done, but you know actions speak louder than words. I say that those of us who feel that we definitely need a change to occur as soon as possible; instead of constantly stating opinions on the net we should be the first citizens to begin that movement of uniting citizens in order to achieve that 80% you suggested we needed in order to obtain the changes we need to get this country back on track. I ask you are you willing to do that? Are the others who state their disagreement with what is currently happening in our country in this site also willing to do that? I am so if you guys decide you want to start this movement, please feel free to write me @ Zina0505@ymail.com & I will gladly join this quest.

1. profile image0
              Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love your eye avatar! ha
              And your willingness to join in trying to get America back on track.

The "track" you would like to resurrect (like that term?) is gone for good.  The hatred and intollerance you favor will never again be a part of American society.

1. profile image0
                  Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not hatred and intolerance for what you suggest.
                  But anyway, I am an "eternal optimist";  I believe that track can be resurrected indeed.   It only takes proper leadership sometimes;  and sometimes it takes enough citizens to turn things around.

But how many citizens share your beliefs?  3?  7?

Can your tiny tribe change the outlooks of 300,000,000 fellow citizens?

You may need an island for your optimistic pack.

Not with regards of Christian way of life. That is long gone.

The second anyone was given the option of FREEDOM of Religion, people have simply believed only what they want to believe and discarded the rest.

There are no longer enough "Christian" people, because of the many denominations/sects of religions. And, we all know how it works, when more than one religious person gets into a room and begins discussing religion. Most of the time, they cannot even agree with each other, never mind, unite to do anything.

So, I don't see what you want coming true or even remotely probably, but still in some way possible. I will not deny the possibility, just rather how unlikely.

Welcome to HubPages!

I am glad to see that search engine traffic can be obtained from posting in the forum threads. This simply points out how effective the forums can be.

On a side thought, please read my profile, if you haven't. I am presently developing an integrated business model, which can and will, provide America with a united voice, however, it is still in development.

I can say I am working on a solution for many problems occurring. As much of my writing will attest, the change isn't only in government, but in the citizens as well.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60

"THE" voice of the people is mythological.  From the founding of our nation, through the civil war, and continuing today, there is a chorus, not a solo.  Those unable to carry a tune get jobs at FoxNews.  The tone-deaf call for an encore.

These discussions always turn predictably partisan and, despite persistent efforts, painfully unfunny.

It's too bad.

roll

There, now I'm as talented and relevant as you.  Where does one apply for a trolling permit?

Please refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

Interesting limited view. But, if you say so, I guess it must be true. roll

Brilliant

8. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I don't imagine I have to even state my opinion of this.

But I will...

Just use your own imaginations and picture a mass exodus of illegals... followed by a mass exodus of Progressives, Democrats and looser Republicans.

"Adios amigos", Barrak Hussein Obama, 2010.

9. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Just got up and reading down this thread - I think 80% of people would already agree with the general sentiment here, the remainder are the Durham's and Sab Oh's, militant religious fundamentalists and those who believe they are not being manipulated.

First 'working class' was coined by Marx to describe the mass of people living under the state controls including state education and the police (if I remember exactly right) and now would include the banking system I guess.  Middle class are those who are complicit in controlling the masses, teachers, managers and those in the banking system. The upper class are such a tiny percentage that they are hard to draw in a diagram of it all so that it can be seen.  This model still holds exactly true and is generally agreed by most academics as being a good representative description of society.

The people are held in place by the hegemonic view, the combined perception of what is happening and what to do; nowadays this is driven entirely by the media - virtually everything we know is 'reported' and comes to us through the media first - if it comes from any other place it is then taken up and reported by the media with their slant on it.

This has been the case since media became nationwide and worldwide.  The same few people own or control all the media and they are ultimately the upper class. The famous 'freedom of speech' is subject to the requirements of these very few people as they employ the management of their media.

What 'free speech' is left is the internet - and this is filled with so many competing voices that what is really happening to society is still dictated by the media.  To find any reality it is necessary to completely ignore the media - but then we know very little about what is going on.

For myself - I have been present at two 'world' major incidents and the media reports of both were either direct lies, a laughable one sided position or when a clear true picture emerged it was submerged in editorial and comment and lies that it lost credibility.

All the good intentions of the 'masses' getting some say in life are illusions unless the 'masses' get control of the media - then maybe government models that look good on paper but are subverted into simple population control for the 'upper class' would work better.

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey China,

It might be helpful if you actually knew what you are talking about.

The "wealthy" or "rich" or "billionaires" in America, represent 20% of the population, so please refrain as claiming them as a minority, to suit your own thinking. I dis-spelled "minority" and the misconception behind it.

The problem is separation in thinking. Business manipulates people, either to get them outraged at the actions of others, so it can do what it wants, and the fact that people let themselves be manipulated is ignorance on an absurd level.

Many advocate groups pushing their own agenda, carving up(separating) citizens into groups. The divide and conquer has been underway for almost 100 years now.
    Actually, by your remark, I can see that you are coming at the subject from a limited view.

It is not required to get control of media, but get the masses to hold the media accountable for their actions.

11. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

But here's some sad shit. You guys expect politicians to be reasonable and work things out together, yet you allow your own treasured viewpoints and egos to prevent even those among you who are generally seeking the same goals from overlooking petty differences and having a productive discussion.

Oops. Guess I did it too.

12. JON EWALL profile image59
    JON EWALLposted 13 years ago

hubbers

The polls report that 80% of the people want the President and Attorney General to enforce the present immigration laws. The statement that deportation don’t work is a half truth if one would review the immigration laws. The truth is that the government’s policy of catch and release or deportation does not work. The need to punish violators with incarceration should receive high priority if a resolve is to be accomplish.

We should look to countries such as Russia, China or North
    Korea  for the blueprint as to border control.  The president mentioned the 11 million illegals that are here ( due to the government not enforcing the law ) cannot just be relocated or deported.What a joke?
    Mr. president, you are wrong. During the campaign you said ‘’ yes we can ,‘’ ‘’hope is on the way’’ and  ‘’let me be clear.’’.   The refusal to enforce the law is to be in violation of the law. Congress has a responsibility to defend the constitution and the enforcement of the laws. The silence of the Democrat Congress is deafening .
    THE OATH OF OFFICE:
    "I do solemnly swear (I Barak Obama ) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

The government can start by incarcerating unauthorized aliens instead of using deportation. The government must deny all government entitlements to non citizens. The borders must be sealed before any new immigration laws are considered. These are simple for starters solutions in resolving some of the violations in immigration law.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)