jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Do you think America's hegemony is over with 2008 economic crisis?

1. andycool profile image75
    andycoolposted 7 years ago

In 1933 the British hegemony ended with the rising of two super powers post World War II. One of those super powers got eliminated in 1990, that's the erstwhile USSR. Do you think now it's time for the US to lose its leadership in a unipolar world, especially after such a wild meltdown of the US economy post the subprime mortgage crisis? Do you think Fed's money printing activity will save the US economy in the long run?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image79
      Evan G Rogersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

america's power will fade, but not because of the the 2008 bust.

It'll fade because of how Bernanke responded.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Britain was well into its decline by 1933 becoming increasingly irrelevant starting with the whole sale expenditure of it's youth in WWI, however, by that time the US had eclipsed the British economy.  By 1910 the United States was the largest single economy in the world and it still is by a very large margin.  It will not cede that position, even to China, anytime soon. China faces a demographic, monetary and policy nightmare with in the next 20 years that will crush its economy.

2. sir slave profile image61
    sir slaveposted 6 years ago

I think it was over around 1998 when clinton bombed the pharma plant in the sudan.....we spend more than most of the countries in the world conbined on defense!!   what does that tell you??
    its says we are losing hegemony..just look at south america with their long fought for national  self-determination.

1. Cagsil profile image61
      Cagsilposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And you raised a 3 month old dead thread to add your reply to it? hmm

As far as the topic is concerned, America has been in trouble since it's inception much less worrying about anything else. The problems stemming from the politicians who refuse to deal with the Economy on proper footing, are now showing their ignorance in full bloom.

The government has never dealt with the Economy properly, and continues it's foolish ways. So, with that said- it is meaningless whether or not America remains a power in the world, it's people are lied to with misinformation and distortion tactics that make some of the most known terrorists of the world seem lame.

Not to mention, America is broke and has been for a great many years. With a debt increasing which is already too high to pay back, it's completely absurd to think that America is anything more than a third world nation, as it stands presently.

Anyone selling the story it's not, isn't looking at the bigger picture, nor do they have any clue about ALL of the problems.

Just a thought.

3. sir slave profile image61
    sir slaveposted 6 years ago

I think if the republicans win the next presidential election, they will invade another country for their oil.

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 6 years ago

I don't believe America knows how to give up control, we've been in that position so long and you don't think we aren't look to control the future then you need to see the new fighter airplanes, and weapons we're developing- what they do can take your breath away.

5. Flightkeeper profile image73
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

Man, I hope we give up control.  I think we should let other countries handle their own issues themselves.  If they end up in some kind of war, it should be understood that we are not interfering and not responsible for the outcome.  In the meantime we should continue to work on our missile shield in case of some errant missile coming our way.  It should also be understood that if that errant missile does come our way that we blow whoever sent it to kingdom come.

1. Flightkeeper profile image73
      Flightkeeperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Of course this won't apply since Obama is still president.  He'll just probably bow and kiss their ass. tongue

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree Fightkeeper that we should let other countries handle their own affairs and we did a long time ago but what the likelihood of that happing again?

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
          Rajab Nsubugaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Previously I have posted that: America is not racist, Capitalism is. In what I meant to say was that, 'Capitalism is inherently racist.' Capitalism creates a permanent situation of; master-serf relation. Relating this to the meaning of hegemony, America's dominance will only recede if the World became less capitalistic and less divisive. In any other situation, we can only live in hope.

1. Flightkeeper profile image73
            Flightkeeperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well Egypt might take one step towards being less capitalist if Mubarak gets thrown out and the Muslim Brotherhood are in.  Let's see how less divisive this is.

working