jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

What's wrong with this party platform?

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Set aside any preconceived notions or prejudices and read this platform for the ideas it contains.
    Does it make sense?
    What elements do you agree with? What elements do you disagree with?

http://www.rpusa.info/platform.htm

1. Jed Fisher profile image86
      Jed Fisherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Took a while to read. I particularly liked the foreign policy section. The most compelling thing about the platform is: it does not address stupid issues, and I like that. There are so many things that have to be reformed before Abortion or Gay Marriage issues affect my vote.

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just from reading the postings here in this forum, automatically tells me that I don't want to read your link. Sorry. hmm

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Chicken.

1. Cagsil profile image60

Excuse you? Nice method to your madness. WOW! roll

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
            Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I apologise.  But agree or disagree, you are one person I wild expect would look.

2. stclairjack profile image80
        stclairjackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

no offence intended but you realy make me laugh, its like my mom calling me to tell me that she's not gona call me.

but if you must leave your "kilroy was here" then do so,....

i love the way your brain works.

1. Cagsil profile image60

I guess, I should say "Thank You" and be pleased that you are amused. hmm

1. stclairjack profile image80

your welcome! ( i dont know how to leave all those multi-emotional yellow faces, but imagine one that conveys a snarky but respectful tone.)

2. stclairjack profile image80
    stclairjackposted 6 years ago

i read the platform through lie by line untill i got to the "tem limits" part,.. then i came back here to comment.

A) term limits are offensive to me as a voter, as if i am not capable of deciding when some turkey needs to go or stay.
    B) term limits have been in place for over 200 years, its called getting off your arse and voting.
    C) term limmits are how the voters of another district or state get rid of someone elses chosn representative, you may not like the fact that massachusets kept choosing mr kennedy, but its thier right to do so.
    D)term limmits do NOT work. the seats in state houses changed up more often and the debate was more spirited when candidates thought they needed to fight to get the seat,.... now they just wait untill jo schmoe term lmits out,... wich leaves us a lot of joe schoes skating along for a free ride,... and a lot of politicl chickens hiding in the new system.

i noticed the abscence of stupidity,... i liked that.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

I'm right there with ya, stclairjack.
    I have the same reaction to term limits. Let the voters decide who needs to stay and who needs to go. And I honestly don't see anything wrong with making a career out of public service if your constituents keep voting you in.
    But other than that.... I thought this platform makes a lot of sense. It's balanced and based on common sense not partisan ideas on either side.

Jed Fisher -- couldn't agree with you more. Why are these micro-social issues put up there as THE #1 issues? To distract us from what's really important!!!

i've read through it before while jawing with fellow disheartend republicans, and loved every part but the term limits.
      i love the abscence of the stupid issues, as i tend to agree with keeping god guns and gays out of politics,. but they are here, and here to stay until dealt with respectfully and compassiontely,.... so with that in mind,.. where does the reform part stand on the issue of life?

4. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

I am liberal and most of the platform I would describe as sane conservatism. Which I can deal with even where I disagree. For example, I agree with paying down the national debt, which requires a budget surplus. Historically,  that's been a trait of democratic administrations. Clinton had the last budget surplus. But, there will be times when the best policy is to spend more than it's wise to tax. So I would not tie the hands Congress.

Put a bigger frame on this, and it's what I have been predicting. Sane conservatives fled to an Independent voter status when the evangelicals & libertarian kooks drove moderate republicans out. Sane conservatives outnumber the looks by a wide margin, but they have no voice. It's time they got one.

it has happend in both parties as they have tilted wildly over time to the extreem so much so that the normal folk in the midle have no voice,... i agree with you,... its about time we got one,....

let me know when you hear of a sane, well read, well spoken, non-screaming down to earth politician that has a real spinal column.

working