12 Year Olds Wanted Sex Says Judge

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

12 Year Olds wanted Sex Says Judge
    At first, she is almost too nervous to speak, but with her mother’s gentle encouragement, she tentatively begins to find the words.

She hopes, she says, that ‘people won’t judge her’ or think she is ‘messed up’ or that she is a ‘bad girl’.

‘I’m really not,’ she says pitifully.

That a 13-year-old girl should even feel the need to defend her reputation and character in such a way is perhaps the saddest aspect of what you are about to read.

Katie (not her real name) was just 12 when she and a friend, also aged 12, went with six young men to a park in Reading where ‘something terrible’ happened.

Sadly, it doesn’t take a genius to work out what that ‘something terrible’ was.

The six men — all promising local footballers — claimed they thought the girls were at least 16, but they were subsequently convicted of statutory rape because, in the eyes of the law, the girls were unable to give their consent.

Last week, though, the defendants were controversially freed from jail after the Appeal Court ruled that the girls had ‘wanted sex’.

In other words, according to the judgment, Katie and her friend — both just 12, remember — were not really victims at all.

Worse, it gave credence to the view, in the eyes of some, at least, that they were actually to blame for getting the six footballers, aged between 18 and 21, including a former member of Reading FC’s academy, into trouble and ruining their careers.

More...Rapist who infected woman with hepatitis C is jailed indefinitely
    'Depraved' mother who helped paedophile rape her own schoolgirl daughter before going shopping is jailed

Already, Katie has received a string of hateful text messages.

‘It’s all your fault,’ said one particularly vile response. Another asked: ‘How can you live with yourself?’

‘It didn’t make me feel very nice,’ says Katie.

The incident in the park, and its aftermath, have been a personal tragedy for Katie, who is now receiving counselling.

But the tragedy spreads wider, for the case also exposes the increasing sexualisation of children and the sickening culture of group sex, which somehow seems to have become acceptable behaviour for a growing number of predatory teenage males.

Two of the six footballers who went to the park with 12-year-old Katie and her friend: Dennis De Sousa (left), aged 19 and Jahvon Edwards (right), aged 19

Anyone who is in any doubt should read the comments of the original trial judge, who said that the six accused standing in the dock in front of him in March this year had treated Katie and her friend  ‘as if they were pieces of flesh’, before sentencing them to two years.

The judge’s words seem especially chilling when you meet Katie.

She is in her school uniform, sitting anxiously in the living room of her home. Her exceptionally pretty features are framed by a sweet brown bob. Katie loves photography and is getting a camera for her birthday. She is doing well at school.

One of her favourite TV programmes is EastEnders. In her bedroom, which is as neat as a new pin, there are CDs of High School Musical and 17 Again, starring teen heart-throb Zac Efron. In the corner is a guitar.

‘I’m not very good,’ she says modestly.

‘Yes, you are,’ her mother says proudly.

Her parents split up when she was a baby, but she sees her dad regularly.

She lives with her mum and step-father, who runs his own business, in a detached house in a ‘picture postcard’ resort in the West Country. They moved there from their native Reading in 2009.

Katie, like many girls her age, has begun to wear make-up. She looks older than 13, but does not seem precocious in any way. On the contrary, when we meet, she is softly spoken and endearingly shy.

The reason her family allowed her to be interviewed is that they — but most importantly, Katie herself —  want other girls to read her account of ‘what really happened’ and learn from it.

‘There is nothing to be scared of,’ her mother tells her before Katie begins to recount, in little more than a whisper, detail by harrowing detail, the chain of events that ended with her going to a park at night with six young men she had never met.
      Jahson Downes (left), aged 20 and Luke Farrugia (right), aged 21. All but two of the six footballers come from broken homes

Those events unfolded one weekend in February last year, when Katie and her mother returned to Reading to visit relatives.

During the visit, Katie met the girl who had once been her best friend. We shall call her Lucy.

Lucy, who as we shall see is certainly old beyond her years, invited Katie to a ‘sleepover’, and in the evening they both attended a family birthday party in a local hall.

Soon, Lucy began exchanging text messages with a boy, or rather a young man, whose number she had obtained three weeks earlier (she told him she had found his number on someone else’s phone and ‘wanted to get to know him’). The young man’s name was Jahvon Edwards.

Edwards, 19, used to play for Henley Town and was now a part-time football coach. Lucy told him she was 16.

She received the first text from Edwards at around 8pm. The ‘conversation’ went like this:

Edwards: ‘Out in my car. You?’

Lucy: ‘Who you with? Should we come too?’

Edwards: ‘Five friends.’

Lucy: ‘We can have three each.’

Edwards: ‘Yes ... Who you having?’

Lucy: ‘Whoever wants me?’

Shortly afterwards, Jahvon Edwards and his ‘five friends’ pulled up outside the hall, where the family gathering was still in full flow, in two Vauxhall Corsa cars.
    Lucy then asked Katie to come outside with her.

‘I went with her because I didn’t want to leave her on her own,’ says Katie.

She says she wasn’t aware of what Lucy had told Edwards in the text messages. Katie reluctantly got into one vehicle, Lucy in the other.

Katie says she went along because she thought they were only going for a short drive and would be back in ‘five minutes’.

Lucy’s parents (her father is a driver, her mother works in an office) were unaware the girls had left.

When they stopped at a garage in Reading, the girls got out and Katie says she started to cry.
    ‘I told Lucy I was scared and that I wanted to go back, but she said there was no way we would be able to on our own because we had gone too far.’
      Courtney Amos (left), aged 20 and Ashley Charles (right), aged 20. In the run up to their court appearance, several of them were busy exchanging crude jokes

So Katie returned to the car. She and Lucy were taken to a local park, where they went to the toilet before splitting up. Katie says she saw Lucy disappear behind a tree, from where she then began calling Edwards and his friends over ‘one by one’ for sex.

Shocking? Degrading? Yes. But it was not the first time 12-year-old Lucy had indulged in such activities.

When the case subsequently came before Reading Crown Court earlier this year, it emerged that Lucy had done ‘exactly the same thing’ at least three times before. There was also a fourth occasion while Edwards and his co-defendants were awaiting trial.

Indeed, ‘shocking’ and ‘degrading’ hardly do such revelations justice.

Meanwhile, back in the park, Katie went and sat on a bench and her eyes began to well up again. One of the footballers wouldn’t leave her alone, however, and kept pestering her to perform a sex act on him, which, legally, is still classed as rape.

‘I kept saying “No, no”, but he kept on, so I gave in,’ she says, her voice faltering.
    ‘I have never done anything like that before, and I would never do it again. That’s the truth.’

Cynics might doubt her words. I do not. Talking to Katie left me utterly convinced that this was a girl — however foolish and naive she might have been — who was telling me the raw, simple truth.

Afterwards, she and Lucy were driven back to town and dropped off near to where Lucy lived. By now, Lucy’s parents had realised the girls were missing and had called the police. They were found wandering along a lane in the vicinity of her home at 2am.

Katie was reunited with her mother at the police station and, for the third time that night, broke down in tears.

‘I cuddled her and told her everything was going to be all right,’ her mother says.

The following day, Katie and Lucy were interviewed by detectives.

Jahvon Edwards, who lives with his mother in Reading, was subsequently arrested and charged with rape, along with Dennis De Sousa, 19, Jahson Downes, 20, Ashley Charles, 20, Courtney Amos, 20, and Luke Farrugia, 21.

All but two of them are from broken homes.

In the run-up to their crown court appearance, several of them were busy exchanging crude jokes about sex and prostitutes on Twitter.
    Take de Sousa, whose own father spent much of the Eighties and Nineties in and out of prison for crimes including affray and conspiracy to supply drugs.

‘Love me some **** (the name given to a particular sex act) and I LOVE a woman that likes to do it,’ he tweeted, followed by: ‘Like what you see, but don’t touch it hoe (street slang for prostitute).’

Amos, brought up by his mother and who, until his rape conviction, was hoping to pursue a career as a children’s football coach.

He re-tweeted this offering from a friend: ‘I use to be a shy boy when I was young, until I lost my virginity and started **** ******** (slang for pleasuring a woman) females like no tomorrow.’

Or Charles, who has a conviction for assault, and used the ‘hashtag’ (a keyword used to categorise a Tweet) TheJoyOfTeenSex — a reference to the Channel 4 series of the same name. He later describes what he might like to do to a friend’s mother.

These, then, are some of the individuals who had sex with two 12-year-old girls in a park on the weekend of February 20, 2010.

Earlier this week, three of the six, who became friends while studying sports science at the same Reading college, agreed to meet the Mail at a bar in the town centre.

It was apparent that they see themselves, not the girls, as the real victims of what happened that night. Their conviction remains but their sentences have now been suspended, and they will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for ten years.

‘Our lives have been ruined, and none of us are now able to go on and follow the careers that we would have chosen for ourselves,’ said de Sousa, who now lives in a council flat with his father.

‘I feel we were tricked into going to the park with them’ (a reference to the fact that Lucy claimed she was 16 on her Facebook page).
    But isn’t the crux of the matter that he and his five friends were quite prepared to take two young girls, regardless of how old they thought they may or may not have been, to a park with the specific intention of having sex with them?
    The judge who jailed them certainly thought so.
    ‘It is clear to me,’ he told them, ‘that all of you were utterly reckless in what you did that night. Those girls were utterly unknown to you.

‘You saw those girls as utterly willing sexual partners, which they were, and behaved towards them as if they were simply pieces of flesh, not people.’

The Appeal Court took a more lenient view. You can be the judge of who was right.

Mother assisted Child Rapist to Rape her own Daughter
    A 'depraved' mother who helped a paedophile rape her own daughter and then went shopping while he did it has been locked up.

The sick mum, who cannot be named for legal reasons, lured her daughter to where sex-pest Michael Hunt was waiting - and ordered her to have sex with him.

And despite seeing that the girl was too scared to move, the mum ignored her child's desperate cries for help - and went SHOPPING, a court heard. 

Even when the 14-year-old contacted police, the mother attempted to 'emotionally blackmail' her into dropping the charges.

At Grimsby Crown Court on Wednesday Judge David Tremberg blasted the pair, saying the case 'beggars belief'.

Sentencing 40-year-old Hunt to nine years' imprisonment and the woman to five-and-a-half years' behind bars, he told the girls' mother: 'You facilitated her rape by Hunt.

'It almost beggars belief any mother would be so depraved to behave this way with her own flesh and blood.

'How does a child come to terms with such a devastating betrayal of trust?

'You told her that he wanted to do something sexual to her.

She said she was not happy with that, but you told her she would be all right and left her to her fate.

'In interview, you told the police that you could see she was too scared to move.

Depraved: The mother, who cannot be named, was convicted at Grimsby Crown Court
    'What is clear is that as your daughter called out to you for help, you ignored her.

'In the jury's verdict you facilitated this rape in circumstances where you foresaw the very real possibility such an offence would occur.

'By virtue of this offence and by denying it, you have caused this girl incalculable emotional harm. There is a significant risk of further offending.

'Quite clearly in this case your offending was so serious only a custodial sentence is appropriate.'

Hunt, from Scunthorpe, Lincs, was convicted of rape and the mother of aiding and abetting rape and of witness intimidation by a jury at Grimsby Crown Court.

Judge Tremberg told Hunt: 'Any offence of rape of a 14-year-old girl is never anything less than serious.

'You have many years, if not decades, when you might have the opportunity where another child might be exposed to risk by you of serious sexual harm.'

He added: 'You both departed from decent standards of behaviour. You were both drunk.'

The pair were given Sexual Offences Prevention Orders for life and have been ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Father-of-two Hunt, who worked as a ground worker at factories in the town, is banned from having unsupervised contact with a child under 16 and the girl's mother is prohibited from having custody, care or control of a child.

2. Ddraigcoch profile image73
    Ddraigcochposted 12 years ago

Regardless of how old she looks and what she said. However sweet or even if it had been "slutty". She is at the end of it all still a child.What is the difference between her wanting it and an 8 year old?
    You think that some 8 year olds do not know the facts? they do, but just like the 12 year old, that does not mean they fully understand what they are asking for.
    That judge wants disciplining!

3. seowriterforlaw profile image57
    seowriterforlawposted 12 years ago

This is incredible!

4. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

In law children can be held accountable for crimes from the age of 7 years, the law now appears to be saying that children can in effective consent to sex sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)