Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condo

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms

Philadelphia’s Department of Health launched the new campaign aimed at fighting the spread of STDs including HIV/AIDS, gonorrhea, syphilis and Chlamydia. The department’s website offer young girls who visit playful interactive instructions on how the female condom is used. The website then encourages young girls between the ages of 11 and 19 years to order their free condoms online to be delivered in the mail.

More at : Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/wor … z1JtJZWp2h

11 year olds getting condoms?...isn't more parenting in order?
    when kids get condoms at such an early age it says they are not being supervised enough...or giving in to peer pressure...
    what's the answer?

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...I have no opinion.

Read this:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/healt … .html?_r=1

Again, I guess we humans are doing what comes naturally at a younger age.

????????

Qwark

Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this has been happening for some time...I think it's attributable to food;mostly hormones that are added which will affects girls development at earlier ages...

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Stacie:
          If that's so and the hormones are rampant, aren't kids doing what comes naturally?
          If that's so, might it not be nice (reasonable) to offer education and protection?
          ??????????
          Qwark

1. canadawest99 profile image59
            canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hormones he?   Have you looked at the average fashion magazine or MTV show lately?

1. qwark profile image60

Canada:
              That would fall under the subject: education.
              To my way of thinking, it's never to young to begin educating children about the most natural event all human life will experience.
              Begin to prepare them early for, as you describe it; "Have you looked at the average fashion magazine or MTV show lately?" the reality of life.
              To be in denial as a parent about what a child is being bombarded with from every facet of their lives, is naive...and I think, ignorant.
              The "fact" is, it's happening!
              We'd better deal with it logically and positively from home.
              Love and education create "respect" and proper action.
              Qwark

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, if they are not being supervised enough, or if they are the victims of poor parenting, then providing them with condoms will do nothing to change that.  It might prevent them from contracting STDs or becoming pregnant, though.  Isn't that a good thing?

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At what age do you think condoms should be provided? Are you an abstinence only sex ed advocate?

4. drdspervez profile image72
      drdspervezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Parents should be frank with their growing children and tell them the hazards of aids and sexually transmitted diseases and they should stop their children for sex at such an early stage.      smile

DR.DURRESHAHWAR PERVEZ

2. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 13 years ago

Girls between the ages of 11 and 19 sounds an awful lot less alarmist than 11 year old girls!

Is there actually any evidence that out of this broad age range any condoms have actually been handed out to 11 year olds?

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

the article is alerting parents and the general public that girls as young as 11 can get these condoms ,in person or in the mail..without parents knowledge or permission.
    would you approve of your daughter doing this?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't approve of anyone sticking their nose into other people's life. So, I wouldn't approve of this action.

However, Stacie, you didn't answer John's question. It says, and you said, that 11 year old girls can get them. That doesn't mean, that 11 year old girls are actually getting them or received them.

Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the title is misleading; the writer states that 11 year old will be given condoms if asked..
        I have no proof nor do i need to provide proof...just reporting what was in the paper

2. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the alternative was a unwanted pregnancy or a killer disease, I would grudgingly approve. I would rather believe that the vast majority of young girls are not going to enter a sexual relationship however "easy" we make it.

But that really is a distraction, including girls as young as 11 makes sure you include 99.9% of girls at risk. A higher cut off point at say 16 would leave many girls out.

And don't forget, not every girl has the benefit of parents who care, to leave vulnerable girls who aren't blessed with good parents is cruel beyond belief.

4. Maembe profile image60
    Maembeposted 13 years ago

Why would an 11 year old need a condo?  Where are his parents?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How old do you have to be to qualify for a townhouse?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is what brought me here too Doug. smile

1. cindi h profile image60
          cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well I guess if kids are getting pregnant it won't be too long before some agency advocates giving them condo's  smilesmile

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

if your kid's sexually active at age 11... then...

Let him/her make their own mistakes. Tell them "boy (girl), sex is what makes babies. You want a baby? If not, then try not to have sex. If you have a baby, then it's up to you to care for it."

... and that'd be that.

6. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

This has all been aired countless times around the world with the same old BS responses.

My message to those Philly morons is :

This kind of education where kids are told about sex and given the means to defend themselves against the problems that can come with it is essential.

Of course YOUR kids won't be having illicit sex, of course it is THEIR kids who get pregnant and all those nasty deseases - it is THEIR kids who need better parenting
         Until it happens to you.

Grow up and get a real life - it is your failure that results in others having to protect your kids.  If education saves one vulnerable kid from any one of the nasty problems that arise from 'not knowing' it is worth upsetting every stiff-necked moron in the state.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think out of all the statements here, it seems you definitely hit the nail on the head.  After all, there's nothing wrong with educating children about the dangers and pitfalls that could arise from sexual intercourse.  Don't get me wrong, I hope children aren't having sex around that age.  However, if they are, then it's best to educate them as soon as possible.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've said it well.  What people fail to recognize is that children are people, too.  They are not some kind of robotic carbon copy of their parents.

They will step beyond the bounds of the most rigid morality parents can bombard them with.  They will make their own rules, or no rules, regardless how strait laced parents are.  And they will do it with little understanding or regard of consequences.

Only a moron would proclaim, with absolute assurance, that THEIR kids are different and would never do such things.

7. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

It is well and good that children are receiving realisitc sex education in schools.  I totally concur with this but giving an 11 year old condoms!  Now, that is going too far!

8. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

11 does seem soon, but at 12 they're having sex, now. So best to educate then when they're still 11.

Evan, it's not about letting them learn by their mistakes. If a child is brought into the situation it is no longer just about them and their mistakes, it's about a child's life, as well. Children raising children is far too common, so education at 11 is best.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Kids can get all sorts of things off the internet, including sex partners.  That's why the should be supervised by their parents.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Lol, from the title I thought they were being given a condominium...

11. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

When 11 year olds are having babies ~ and potentially contracting serious diseases ~ then perhaps offering them condoms is the best response.

They are not telling them to have sex; they are responding to what is happening.

It is very sad, but it is also nature, and for some kids it seems like a good thing to do.

I cannot approve of children behaving like this, but if that is what they are going to do, then at least there won't be unwanted pregnancies and serious illnesses involved.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)